End all XP bonus days

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lejaun, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Lejaun Augur

It's painfully clear that whatever you are doing is not working. It's also clear that the problem only gets worse when you offer bonus XP days. Here's some math for you. When I get zero XP because I can't log in, when you double that (well 76% extra) it, it still equals zero experience.

My solution for the problem of the masses logging in to get their extra XP is to stop doing it. Instead, give each player a 12 hour potion for each day that the XP is supposed to last and have it give the amount of XP that the boost is for. People then don't have the mentality to rush to log in and take advantage of the XP immediately. They log on like they normally do, pop their XP boost potion, and life continues on its merry way.

Also, why are we still going through these issues? Even with the resurgence of players due to the TLPs, there are still far less players in the game now than there were 20 years ago. You'd think that server and internet upgrades the past two decades would have made things run buttery smooth.
    Zorglub, Arog and PeterPansicle like this.
  2. PeterPansicle Journeyman

Great idea mate, but somehow don't see DPG caring enough to bother rectifying anything in this way. I doubt we'll even see them extend the current xp bonus.
  3. Zansobar Augur

Yes they need to give out potions instead, the problem is, I think most of the people logging in are due to the +76% rare spawn increase, since much of the server is already max level on their mains and multiple alts.
    PeterPansicle likes this.
  4. Moege Augur

Each player? no thanks, each character that logs in I can live with.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

And it is painfully UN-clear what you are even referring to right off the bat.

Again, completely UN-clear which problem it is you are actually talking about or is this just a mystery/vaguepost?

And what about the players who CAN log in & enjoy that XP, could you be any more selfish or self-centred, I can't get XP so nobody else should be allowed to get any?
    You do not sound like a nice person.

I like bonus XP, if you don't then don't log in, problem solved.

I don't think a potion is the best idea, I would rather an AA-system that gave you the Bonus XP boost but which has to be used up prior to the next XP boost or you will lose it. If you let people stack potions they will just stockpile them for things like the next level raise which kind of defeats the purpose of encouraging players to log in during the bonus period - yes that is the point of these bonus days, to encourage players to log in, which seems to be something you don't agree with.

That's not really the problem for most players, just you really and (ASSUMING you mean Aradune queues since you haven't been specific) a few others who aren't getting on immediately, but Aradune is performing better than it was & yes that;s partly due to some having given up.

The main problem is for those who due to career family etc. end up not being able to log in during the bonus periods, that's what the AA system would address better.

Because from what Jenn Chan said in her recent letter to the community about the problems around Aradune they moved the data to servers that are in a different physical location, that use different hardware & they had some problems connected to that of a complicated technical nature that it has taken longer than expected to fix.

I can't recall where I read it but the TLP servers when they are unlocked are usually much busier than live servers were back in the day.

My own admittedly limited technical knowledge still lets me understand that the infrastructure aspects of operating a live-service MMO are not straightforward, your code may not be compatible with newer hardware if it was heavily optimised for running on the old hardware it can run into problems in newer hardware, different chipsets, different throughput processing, different load-balancing tech - a whole gamut of differences can cause major headaches in getting your old back-end code to run on newer hardware, you can't always make contingencies for every scenario that can fail.
  6. Arog Augur

He is obviously talking about the Aradune patch that happened right before the xp bonus. That was supposed to fix the stability issues with the larger populations.

You say he is selfish but it appears you are the selfish one. Obviously you don't care about anyone that isn't able to log in because of this cluster, just as long as you can get in and farm. I personally don't want to see anymore people quit out of frustration from DPG incompetent behavior. I'd rather see them fix the stability and log in issues and keep a large player base on Aradune. If that means no xp bonus for me so that everyone can log in and enjoy the game rather than just a few lucky people who were able to get in then I am for it.
    Lejaun likes this.
  7. Inictus Elder

If the EQ client and server software hadn't changed over the past 20 years then this would be a valid comment. Both sides of EQ have changed dramatically over that time with tons of features added along the way.
  8. Machen New Member

Not to mention 26 expansions worth of zones.
  9. Machen New Member

You are calling for a nerf to all servers based on problems on a single server.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Yinla and CatsPaws like this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

There you go. Proof that people will complain about everything.
  11. Arog Augur

Aradune was the only server that was down on June 30th for the update. The server is now unplayable again. Not talking about the rest of the live servers. Quit trolling TLPs and go back to your live server and play.
    Lejaun likes this.
  12. Bowdeen Elder

He plays on the TLPs, so your argument falls a bit short there buddy. I am in full agreement. I agree that it sucks for Aradune, but to punish all of the other servers? Nah, you can sit on that and rotate. Now if they could go ahead and keep it active for everyone EXCEPT Aradune, I'm fine with that, but calling for a general removal is over the top.

This. Completely and utterly this. Levels are easy in classic, although they can be tedious depending on the zone. The rares is where the real action and focus is at.
    Yinla and Machen like this.
  13. Dexxeaa00 Elder

I like this idea. You could have a holiday AA section that you can activate within a certain time frame.
  14. Captain Video Augur

Shut down all servers immediately, except for the ones I play on. I want all staff resources focused on me. It's all about me, everyone knows that.

Next, I want a new server launched just for me, only I can play on it, so I have unlimited uncontested access to anything I want. That new server should be called... Test.
  15. nagash101 Augur

try to logon a bit more, stay and wait for the queue to end, a just your schedule to play when you can and when you think you might be in a bit faster.
  16. Lejaun Augur

What's painfully clear is that you don't pay attention to much that goes on with the servers. There have been issues on Mangler and Aradune with being able to log in, zone, etc. If you browse the forums for a moment you'd know this. There have been attempts to fix some of these issues and they have not worked.

I'm selfish because I want to take away XP? Did you even read what I posted before you came up with your attack on me? (Against the forum rules, by the way) I suggested a viable alternative, which is giving out potions for the EXACT same amount of experience that the server is giving now. That way EVERYONE can enjoy the experience boost. In fact, my suggestion would allow more people to enjoy the bonus experience because they could then use the potion when they are able to log on, allowing them to spend time with their family or friends during a holiday weekend rather than be on EQ if that was their choice. So yeah, super selfish of me.

If I don't like XP than don't log on. Huh? What are you even talking about. I'd actually like to enjoy the XP more, playing the game that I pay to play. My suggestion is something that would allow everyone to benefit from the extra experience.

And this is a very real problem for thousands of players, all of whom are ones who pay for subscriptions. Yes, others do as well, but not all. TLP players 100% pay to be able to play.

So, maybe instead of calling me selfish because I am suggesting an alternative that would allow the benefit of bonus XP to all players, regardless of server, you should take a look at yourself who apparently is not affected by the log-in / lag / zoning issues and are apparently getting to fully enjoy the XP bonus and thinking the servers are just fine.
    Zorglub likes this.
  17. Lejaun Augur

I agree. They have changed. At the same time, servers and other hardware and online game code knowledge has also changed and increased. I think my comment is very valid. The game should be more stable at this point than it is.
  18. Lejaun Augur

Complaining because people can't log in to the game or crash or have terrible lag? Yes. I think I will complain about that. Not only did I complain, but I also offered a possible solution (there are many others) to possibly fixing this problem at least some what.

There you go. Proof that people will complain about everyone and try to shred their valid opinions because it doesn't match their own.
    Dexxeaa likes this.
  19. Lejaun Augur

Facetious much?

First, it's not just me. It's thousands of players just on Aradune alone. You know, those TLP servers that are the ones that actually bring in the most money to this company, where everyone who plays on them has to have a subscription? The one where Krono are bought at traded at an extremely high frequency and where bags are most often purchase?

Oh, and wait. I'm not asking for anything to be taken away from anyone, but rather it be given in such a way where everyone, regardless of server, can enjoy it equally. Yeah, screw me for trying to come up with a solution, eh?
    Dexxeaa likes this.
  20. Lejaun Augur

Trust me, I do. I even logged on tonight 3 hours of when I planned to play. That's not always an option, however. And even once in game, the performance issues are such that zoning are prone to lag and crashing and simple things like tells are subject to massive lag.