Raster...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Manafasto, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Truetotheblue Augur

*laughs in Verina Tomb, Broken Golem, Wraith of a Shissar*
  2. Tucoh Augur

Even if epic quests deserved the title due to long camps back in 2000 and not due to overcoming difficult mobs, in 2020 it's just sitting on your for the Nth time .There are better games to play than camping garbage mobs. If people want to do it, more power to them but don't pretend that sitting on your for ten hours can be described as epic.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Then don't do it if you don't want to. But asking for gimme gimme easy easy mode is what is stupid.

You don't deserve some short cut because you did it before on some other server on some other character.
  4. Tucoh Augur

I don't think you're following the conversation very well.
    TheChosenOne and KimchiGoddess like this.
  5. Kiaro Augur

ANyone who thinks this has never played a main cleric (its boring as hell)
  6. Gio1999 Augur

I'm amazed anyone can even have this mindset. Since when does sitting on your for days on end amount to "epic"? That's not epic or even gameplay. Like waiting for hours to hand in a quest is epic?

What the hell? Is this just a "I don't like change" or a "I suffered so other people must suffer" argument?

I'm sorry, but the gimme free epics statement makes you look like a bafoon.
    TheChosenOne and KimchiGoddess like this.
  7. Captain Video Augur

It is a "This is a MMO, not a single-player RPG" argument. New people come in and want to solo everything, and every game mechanic that gets in the way of that is criticized. There are plenty of other things to do in-game while waiting for a particular NPC to respawn.
  8. Timgrok New Member

So you mean to tell me, the quest that guarantees you the greatest weapon, and confirms you be the top dps class/spot in raids until planes of power... is a long camp? Unacceptable. /claimepic at level 1.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Not everyone is supposed to have the item. That is entirely the point.

No matter how "hard" it was, or "easy", the same number will flow into the game due entirely to respawn timers. So yes, sitting around and waiting for days is part of it.

The quests were never "hard". The grind and wait is to reduce the flow into the game so that having it, is itself, the epic part.
  10. Manafasto Augur

I feel bad offering to level with the mid levels down at Raster spawn. The xp is crappy and some of the loots are meh, even during classic. Why not make more group or raid bosses to do things. Now I know I can ask my guild for help taking down one of the brothers but... that is not a guarantee drop. I was just like to see more balance.
  11. Kiaro Augur

The folks who hate sitting around waiting for their "Epic"
    Well, its an epic, think of the big ones (Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, LoTR)
    They all have their hero(s) literally sit on their duff at one point or another.
  12. Tucoh Augur

After watching some vids from Zaide doing a permadeath, solo, no help, equip only looted gear super hardcore playthrough:

this thread reminds me of a different game that had epic-type class weapons. In warcaraft hunters and priests got an epic weapon that required them to solo a pretty difficult encounter. Hunters have to kite a demon and priests have to heal a bunch of NPCs.

These encounters were great because (at least when they were current...) you'd have all the coattail riders who were just warm bodies in raids (but kept around because they showed up consistently, were willing to do DKP or were women) would be unable to execute the encounter and had to shame themselves in letting real players log onto their accounts and do the quest or exploit it somehow.

I've always wanted an MMO that had solo-only gates around epic quest progression that would effectively act as the kind of filter you describe. Otherwise you have to rely on stupid camps (EQ), long-grinds (GW2, EQ Live's Chase Items), really rare weapon drops in raids (WoW legendaries like WoW's Windfury).

Speaking of GW2 epics, Twilight/Sunrise is still my favorite weapon graphic in any game ever. It's modeled as an interdimensional portal to a space environment.

Anyway, you're right, epics aren't supposed to be given to everyone and EQ has maintained a gating mechanic focused on sitting on your butt. I'm OK with that, I've done a dozen or so epics in EQ, and don't really care enough to do one on Aradune. I think the game would be better if the camps were heavily reduced in duration, and accept that some people disagree. You guys can sit on Raster or Verina or whatever, I'll be having fun on Aradune and then when it comes time to do long camps I'll switch to a playing a different game.