[Request] Tradeskill Hub

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There has been complaints about the lag in Plane of Knowledge for as long as I can remember, this always gets worse when the NPCs and decorations are added for the anniversary. In beta we have Ngreths Den for doing Tradeskills away from everything else so I thought it would be nice if live servers had something similar rather than going to Plane of Knowledge to do them. I don't think adding the Den to live servers would be a good idea, as we don't want Beta NPCs accidentally appearing on live.

Ideally the zone needs to be reasonably small with few decorations, so it doesn't get laggy and also easy to get to. I've listed 5 zones I think would be good as zoning in/out points along with a couple of suggestions for what the zone may look like.

Suggestions for Tradeskill Hub zone
    Original Baazar (reasonably small with 2 large open areas from what I remember)
    Copy of CSHome (players have requested a way to see what it looks like, this might be ideal)

Zone available
    Once Planes of Power unlocks (I think it was Niente that said CSHome had a similar look to Halls of Honor so this would be a good fit for lots of reasons)

How to get there
    Add a door from the standard Guild Hall
    Add a placeable door for the Housing Guild Halls
    Add door to Baazar
    Add door to Guild Lobby
    Add door/book/portal from Plane of Knowledge

Layout
    Try and do it logically, a lot of Tailoring items require Smithing so put them near each other, the same for Baking and Brewing, rather than the other side of the Tradeskill area.

Vendors
    Add a copy of the vendors we currently have around the small bank area (including a banker & parcel merchant)
    All Tradeskill containers (would be nice if the cultural ones were available too)
    Add vendors with all the TS books
    Add some new vendors with the items that can only be purchased in other zones, ie Abysmal Sea, Crescent Reach etc.
    After an expansion has been out X amount of time add a copy of the TS vendors to the TS Hub. (Heading to Stratos for just one or two items is a pain).
    Zarzac, Jumbur, Nadisia and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nniki Augur

Here's a video showing the layout of Sunset Home (cshome):
    Nadisia and Pelrond like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

It looks a bit like Ngreth's home, or so I have been told. :)
  4. Midasa Elder

What if they gave the ability to purchase the TS vendors in POK to put into guild halls? Most guild halls have TS areas set up.
    Or put these vendors in the Neighborhood zones in with the banker and housing vendors.
    Also POK is not as bad for lag on some servers as others since some servers use the guild lobby as the buff gathering spot.
    Winnowyl, Marton and Aanuvane like this.
  5. Aanuvane Augur

This. It would be an extra bonus if they were placeable in house yards, but I'd settle for having them in the neighborhood up by the banker.
  6. Nadisia Augur

Pretty cool layout actually.
    I'd prefer something more «creepy», in line with my shadow knight / necromancer way of EQlife :p , but for a crafting area, it would be really cool.

@Yinla.
    I love the idea.
    An instanced zone, even with /pick for very populated servers would be really great.
    A real hub, and it'd alleviate the charge, and the lag, in PoKnowledge (again, for very populated servers).

Oh, and a zone without doors ... the dream.
    The crafting area around the PoK small bank is not too bad, but these doors (bank and pottery / baking building) ... it's annoying

(often, when I need to craft a lot of things in bulk, I prefer to park a mule in the PoK crafting area, I buy everything with the mule, and parcel it to the crafter in my Guild Hall because it's way easier to have everything in range, other than running, open a door, buy something, open door again, go back to the bench, and so on)
    Winnowyl likes this.
  7. Hekaton Augur

off the wall suggestion but there already is a perfect size zone off of POK. just convert shadowhaven into tradehaven. i mean it is kinda macabre but the zone is there and kind of going unused.
    Winnowyl and Coagagin like this.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think maybe you're thining of Shadowrest, the graveyard zone? That zone has a traveler achievement with it, so I don't think it's going to go away.

The easiest thing to do would be to put merchants similar to the PoK small bank tradeskill merchants (the ones that have ALL the materials) in the guildhalls. Call them "Guild Pottery Mechant," "Guild Fletching Merchant," etc. I would LOVE to stay in the guildhall and do all of my tradeskilling, but I have to brave the lag and get materials from PoK.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Add a wizard/druid-gate/port/tlc and a clicky gate item(all/all), you get as a reward for a simple low-level tradeskill quest(or put it on the loyalty vendor).
    Or an AA-gate(under the general-tab, so all can get it)...Druids/wizards get an instant-cast version(under the class-tab), with short cooldown(replacement for nexus-gate-AA)
    Coagagin likes this.
  10. Seor New Member

How about give people a trade skill bump of some sort for doing it on their own property? Sell a housing item like a table...then add a % for skillup and success if they do it at home. It would sell more stuff and get people to use housing more as well as reduce lag and clutter.
  11. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I'm not against this idea, but I have no promises for you.

most everything sounded reasonable, but on the vendor thing.

I'd be willing to add vendors that are in PoK. (including any books sold there), but NOT all TS items.
    Travel is part of the game, getting "exotic supplies" is part of the "lore" of crafting in games, including in EQ. The most I'll do "after time" is some of what I did in ToV where I added some items to the "common" vendors (mostly for food/drink).

That's an interesting thought. It would take code time, but I don't hate it.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

WE do have a TS zone.. ABYSMAL SEA! it just needs to be updated..
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Marton Augur

Seor said:
    “How about give people a trade skill bump of some sort for doing it on their own property? Sell a housing item like a table...then add a % for skillup and success if they do it at home. It would sell more stuff and get people to use housing more as well as reduce lag and clutter.”

This would be cool.
    Seor likes this.
  14. KermittheFroglok Augur

Interesting point, so updated as in getting more items in it?
  15. Coagagin Guild house cat

Use the beta zone hub in the normal Norrath and add a couple of vendor NPCs. Turning the lights on in Shadowhaven off PoK would be fine as well as still be usable for the traveler achievement.

-Coag
  16. svann Augur

Crescent Reach is not too bad for TS, plus most people have origin to get there.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  17. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I'm glad that this got a response from our favorite house Ogre. :)

I don't mind the vendor limitations that Ngreth mentioned, as I'm fine with only books and items in PoK being available with this idea.Though I would point out that while each tradeskill seems to have one vendor with almost everything on it, there are still some items here and there on other vendors in PoK that are not on these main ones. So, it would be a bit more than simply copying those vendors in order to replicate everything available in PoK.

My preference (though I'm fine with either idea) is for guild hall npcs rather than a static crafting zone, mainly because I'm still holding out hope for some kind of guild tradeskill item depot.;)
    Skuz likes this.
  18. KermittheFroglok Augur

I reread the thread and like this idea, it would also get people visiting their housing more!
    Seor and Skuz like this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The problen is it iz out of the way. There is way to zone back to PoK or guild Lobby directly without using a port click of some description. If you need to travel to other zones to get stiff there needs to be a better way than via an LDON zone. There is no way back as far as I am aware from Nedira
  20. Schadenfreude Augur

Updated into a pile of rubble and dust. On fire.
    Winnowyl likes this.