Wizard Epic Fix

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Galaras, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Galaras Lorekeeper

With all the hard work the devs have done to try and make these TLP's true to classic and the era's they originally reflected, would it be possible to have the Staff of Gabstik reverted to dropping off CT again as was originally intended/implemented with the Wizard epic?

I understand why the Broken Golem was implemented as a nice compromise to Wizards/non raiders at the time but ironically this situation makes the Wizard epic invariably worse for that adjustment now that we have AoC's and CT's for everyone. There would be other possible workarounds like letting the Broken Golem spawn in instances or picks, but if we're keeping with the TLP theme of "keeping things classic" putting the staff back on CT would make the most sense.

I understand if these "fixes" are outside the scope of what the current dev team is able to do but I and many other Wizards would appreciate feedback if we should just accept this as something that will never change or if it's within the realm of possibility (heck SK epic and others have been able to be fixed/adjusted).

I appreciate your consideration.

Thanks,
    Dink, xaga, Talimat and 5 others like this.
  2. Gemdiver38 New Member

Thanks for posting this Galaras. I think anyone who has played a wizard or enchanter on a TLP server knows that there is some serious pain and toxicity associated with both the broken golem for wizards and Verina for enchanters.

For golem, you have already pointed out the two most obvious and easy to implement adjustments that could be made. It would be great to hear something back from the dev team on this issue. Requests to look at the wiz/enc epics happen every time there is a new server, and the usual response has been that they acknowledge that things are not ideal for some of the epic 1.0 quests in the TLP era but and needed to be looked at but at that point, there were more other more urgent needs of their time. Hopefully, this time around they will be able to get to it. As far as the two options go, here are my thoughts:

Option 1: Add the broken golem to Dynamic Zones, spawned at zone creation
    Summary:Have the broken golem spawn when a DZ is created. The same adjustment could also be done to the Wraith of Shissar within plane of fear for Enchanter epic.
    Rationale:In open world, the desired raid targets like CT do not spawn immediately but go into their spawn window. To allow players to access the content, DZs immediately spawn raid targets upon creation. It makes sense that the broken golem should also immediately spawn with Cazic and Draco when a new DZ is created since it is content from that zone. It was likely an oversight when DZ coding was put in to not include the broken golem rather than a conscious decision to exclude it.
    Pros:Completely fixed the problem. Easy to implement. Since the change is only to DZs, there is no impact to Live servers. Enchanters are made happy at the same time.
    Cons:None.

Option 2: Fix CT 1.0 Loot Table / Original Experience
    Summary:Make Cazic Thule 1.0 (Pre-Velious) drop cazic skin, as it originally did prior to the Fear 2.0 Revamp. In Velious when PoFear revamp goes in, switch to the broken golem.
    Rationale:This option most accurately recreates the original EQ experience of wizards being able to complete their epic within Kunark by killing Cazic Thule and in later expansions, by doing the turn-in to broken golem, fitting with the goal of a TLP server to mimic the original experience as much as possible.
    Pros:No impact to live servers or TLP servers beyond Kunark. Solves the problem since Cazic spawns instantly within DZs giving anyone the opportunity to experience the content. Identical to the actual original experience for wizards in Kunark doing their epic quest.
    Cons:Likely requires more time and resources updating loot tables than implementing option 1.
    Dink, Talimat, shintox and 8 others like this.
  3. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Why not do both? % chance to drop off Cazic + guaranteed golem spawn in DZ.
  4. TrollMan Elder

Sounds like a solid plan. Highly doubt they'll do either at this point. Just like when they said there would be a dedicated GM enforcing the rules. I have only seen one person get in trouble so far and that was good ole cabdru.
  5. Imdead Augur

Let's just be honest and admit nothing is going to be fixed/changed?
    shintox likes this.
  6. I'm Not A Robot Lorekeeper

I just re-rolled from wizard to a rogue so I'm fine how epics work now, no fixes needed.
    shintox and Pumpernickel like this.
  7. Gemdiver38 New Member

Doing both would be ideal of course. Realistically, the hurdle to getting this fixed is not developers acknowledging the problem, but them having the time and resources to address it. I'd rather they implement a good enough solution now that takes the least amount of their time than keep waiting every TLP until they have enough time to implement the perfect and ideal solution (which yours would be). Heck, at this point, I would settle just on cutting the respawn time down to 12 hours (for this and Verina), just to function as a bandaid until they do have enough time to do a more permanent solution.
    Belcasor and Galaras like this.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you're a casual wizard just write this sucker off. The fashion is solid but it's not worth the grey hairs.
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Wizard Epic really doesn't need to be any easier. For raiders ATM the quest is literally just Kill Broken Golem.

Wizard Epic doesn't really need to be port around the world and do turn ins for an hour.
  10. kizant Augur

Wiz epic is a waste of time. Just forget about it.
  11. Barder-mangler Augur

Just because “youv’ve only seen 1 person get in trouble” doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. I have run into a GM three separate occasions on Aradune so far, actually in a zone monitoring, giving warnings (I got one) and possibly suspending/kicking people. A GM was literally in the main pick of mistmoore yesterday for nearly 2 hours, and during this time zone pop went from 25 to 8 people. Completely anecdotal, but some of those people that were in zone I haven’t seen back in game. I’ve also seen a GM at an event and once at a contested raid encounter. So a total of 5 times I have actually seen a GM in game on Aradune.

Are they suspending/banning people? I can’t say for sure, but I can only go off what I’ve actually seen with my own eyes, there are absolutely multiple GMs out there investigating things, because I keep seeing it firsthand.

And back to the wizard and enchanter epics- yes they need to be fixed.
    Talimat likes this.
  12. Barder-mangler Augur

13. Barder-mangler Augur

14. Cukernaut Journeyman

I remember getting suspended from getting lost in fear and accidentally training a broken golem race.

It blows my mind that with instancing DPG has opened up all end game content to users but still thinks its a good idea to gate wizard and enchanters. Mind. Blown.

But then again I am never really surprised by the low energy strategies they employ -- Aradune case in point -- wait for enough people to quit due to low quality of service for the servers to stabilize. Mind. Blown.
    Talimat likes this.
  15. Imdead Augur

By this logic there shouldn't be AoC's, raid mobs are plenty easy and didn't need to be made easier by AoC's.........
  16. Kragin Augur

Wizard epic is dogcrap anyway
  17. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Nah the Wizard Epic doesn't really require any "questing" like the other Epics. If you make changes suggested in the OP you end up with a "epic quest" that's easier then most Sol Ro armor quests. Wizard Epic shouldn't be "collect 3 rotting loots"
  18. Cukernaut Journeyman

Your on the money here Imdead. Isnt it funny that EQ "purists" try to make the argument about content being trivialized and then you look at their guild and they have 0 OW kills. Imagine the salt with no AOCs hahahaha.

The entire game has pretty much been unlocked to everyone except enchanters and wizards tbh. Its stupid. Pick one way or the other and commit like you said.
    Talimat likes this.
  19. Febb Augur

It's a simple fix. Remove MotM from Broken Golem and it will spawn in picks. Mobs that have the buff MotM will not spawn in picks.
  20. Galaras Lorekeeper

But that's the epic as it was originally designed and I wouldn't call killing CT/Phinny/Venril just looting rots. It sounds like you just want to arbitrarily punish Wizards because their epic wasn't designed as grandiose as others?
  21. Galaras Lorekeeper

Gnoll Slayer was fixed with this patch so maybe there's hope they can keep digging into the Wizard epic and figure out a fix for us.