Proposal: Account Consolidation & Concurrency

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yakita, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Yakita New Member

In lieu of resuming account-t-account transfers, consider a proposal to overhaul how accounts and characters work.

Allow players to consolidate accounts into a single account with all of their various characters. Continue to keep an 8-character limit, and charge for additional character slots. However, allow concurrent logins of the same account, unlocked with an additional monthly fee. Use this concurrency to enforce current and new boxing rulesets.

This would allow players to enjoy more combinations of their favorite characters, even those that had never co-mingled before! In addition, it would afford a new source of revenue for DBG.

Yakita ROG
    Hoss WAR
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I recall this idea, or similar account change ideas having popped up a few times.

They won't or can't do it.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

DBG makes a tidy sum of money out of making people pay for all access accounts to run a baz trader. I doubt they would ever go for this suggestion for that reason alone. The additional monthly fee would have to equal the full price of a subscription since that is what they are getting now.

There is actually a 14 character limit right now. For all access. 10 limit for Silver and 8 limit for free accounts. So this would allow all 14 to log in at once? I never see that happening.

I also don't think allowing concurrent logins of the same account would suffice for those of us with all 14 slots full and those are the ones we want to put in groups together.

And that is why we all want account transfers. So we can split up our accounts. We don't want limited combinations.

They would have a HUGE revenue if they could do it the old fashioned way, in the meantime I will just keep making free accounts from which they gain no profit. :(
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This wouldn't work with a 8 char limit.
    I currently have 6 accounts, at least 2 of those accounts have 13 chars on them, the lowest I think is 3 or 4.

I'd love to be able to play a couple of chars on my oldest account at the same time, these are chars I've spend a lot of time working on which have most flags and some items that don't drop anymore.

I'd be happy to see account to account transfers start again, or a way to link accounts and log in any of the chars I have, but I don't see either happening anytime soon.
  5. Moege Augur

Think of all of the money we would save not buying duplicate expansions. Hey some of the botters may even join in the buying frenzy.

8 characters you say, buy 1 expansion for an account per group.
  6. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I like the SAD face at the end there, brings home the point! ;)

Hahaha, decided to roll out an ench on a new account because I needed some viscous mana for TS!
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I can relate & empathise with the desire to be able to move characters around between accounts.

In a perfect world you could have 1 "Master Account" or "family account" and all of the accounts you have could be associated with that & you pay just 1 price for subs to all & for expansions for all with maybe some discount for the family account buying 2-6 expansions in one hit.
    Account to account transfers of any characters under the master account would be automated so you could shift them around freely & without additional costs, a slight increase in sub price could even be part of that functionality.

I don't think we will see account to account any time soon, I'm glad it existed when it did though, got my ex-wife's character moved off my account to hers & that saved me a lot of ear-ache :D
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Dear daybreak, please charge me less money for the same product.

Tbh it's going to be hard to buy the next expansion for all my accounts after i only played ToV for a month.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Zamiam Augur

I buy 1 or 2 base expansions when it comes out and then I wait a year till they go on sale to buy for the rest of my accounts ..

I might even wait for 2 expansions to pass before i buy for my other accounts .. I feel as long as 1 or 2 of my accounts are up to date the rest can wait for a bit there is plenty to keep my other toons on my other accounts busy ..
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would love an option that lets you buy expansions for all your accounts at once or pick the accounts that are registered to you have the same credit card info and mass buy expansions instead of having to log into each account. Also would love a bulk discount.

But... I don't see that happening not sure I see a reason for daybreak to offer bulk discounts and being able to buy an expansion (each costing the regular price or discounted) could be seen as a security. And I guess it could be abused if there was a discount by folks.

Playing any of the toons on one account concurrently doesn't make any sense from a financial standpoint for daybreak unless they charged you the same amount per concurrent toon as they did for a totally separate account. And even then how are they regaining the money they spent developing this (no idea what would be involved)?

Also good to remember everything has to be looked through the lens of a game that is not really getting any new players and banks on players resubscribing.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I’ve made a similar suggestion before.

Instead of allowing concurrent logins for an extra fee I was suggesting allow to players to flag a “Master” account and permanently link “Boxed” accounts to this master account. In doing so create the infrastructure the manage all of your linked accounts from the master account. IE you should see a list of all your accounts that are linked together and be able to purchase expansions and add subscription time for each account from one easy location.

Additional perks I’d like to see is the ability to account to account transfer characters between your linked accounts. I think it would also be pretty cool to see maybe the ability to transfer Daybreakcash from account to account or buy bundles of daybreak cash or subscriptions for all of your accounts at some lowerish discount (maybe 10% the raw value for doing bulk purchases).

But I think it’s very well understood that people with multiple accounts are very common in 2020. The infrastructure behind accounts should reflect this reality by simplifying the process of adding additional paying accounts and make the management of them much more user friendly.
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

An account structure could be expanded to deter botting.

It could be that to play more than one account from an IP, they would have to be organized in a main/alt structure, and there could be a confirmed immutable identity. Even better if the confirmed identity is the main, and the accounts are the alts, so no single account would be over the others)

This would make it harder to sell accounts (because an account would be bound to one main/alt structure, pertaining to an identified user).

(In Denmark we have a state driven digital ID that we use for all public and private high security identification (2 factor), which is kewl. Not sure if you have something to that effect in the US.)

So to become a botter, you would not only risk your accounts, but to be banned as an identified inddividual.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Errr no thanks, I play with my other half and my daughter. I box a few accounts while they have 1 each, while I like the idea of joining my accounts, I do not want their accounts joined with mine.
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

Of course not, also not what I meant.