Crowd Pleaser: Pet Tab akin to the Merc Tab

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

EQ has many pet class players and a pet tab with similar functionality to the merc tab would be very welcome.
    The pet would be treated with the same mechanism the game uses for mercs so when the pet dies it would REVIVE like the merc perhaps with a timer unless the player opts to cast a different one. Or the player could cast their different pets (rogue/war etc) and could suspend them in a que similar to what the game does for different merc types.
    The gear we put our on our pet would be displayed and permanent, like merc gear, that we can work to upgrade and the pet equips it after it is revived after death.
    -could we potentially opt to let our pets gain a tiny bit of xp to level if it wouldn't break focus item functionality?
    Coagagin, Duder and Buster_Shruggs like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What you are asking for is a pet system to mirror the merc system and not just a new tab. This sounds like it would be a lot of work to make all the needed changes to how pets work.

Also should note that EQ has 3 pet classes and a few others that can cast a pet.
  3. Disapointed Lorekeeper

2 weapon slots, and 1 belt slot for worn haste.

allow for temporary weapons like mage summoned to be put in them, but you would still lose them when you logged out of the game. but if you opted to use lower tier weapons like bright-edge, they would stay.

Seems incredibly annoying re-outfitting pets with the most basic of gear through a day, it would be less of a "boost" and more of a quality of life aspect.

the rest of that, evolving pets etc, seems like gibberish. and waiting on the current pet to revive sounds like something that no pet owner i have ever known would go for. hell, i don't even wait for mercs, i just dismiss them and pull out a different one 30s later.

in the long run, i believe that this was never even considered because tanks would $hit a brick, if there was a window that showed how ridiculously big pet stats were.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Making pet gear permanent would remove one of the few ways that EQ has risk, which is the wrong direction, IMO.

If EQ devs do anything for pet classes it should be to fix pet behavior in laggy situations where the pet just sits there.
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  5. Buster_Shruggs Augur

A tab similar to merc tab to "view" pet stats is what I thought you were aiming for, OP. I would LOVE to be able to see pet stats!! Although, I like your idea, it does seem like a big overhaul/addition that would bring fire and brimstone from pet- class-haters! It would be raining Hateroade for weeks!
    Deux likes this.
  6. Zamiam Augur

No Pet class (which there are 4 ) mage, nec,bst and enchanter would want to wait 3 to 5min timer to recast a pet .. that would be silly when all they have to do is mem the spell and recast one which takes maybe 10 seconds or less.. every pet class has the ability (if their pet died) to keep mob occupied till they can recast a new pet.. mage , nec and bst have swarm pets and ench has stun and mez and iirc also has a doppleganger.

Oh and anyone who thinks an enchanter pet shouldn't be classified under the "pet class" has never played an enchanter at high lvl with max pet aa's .. they are a force to recon with .

Although if your a good pet class you'll have a backup pet fully buffed and geared suspended anyways ..
  7. Tucoh Augur

What about shaman, druid and clerics? :D
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It should be shadow knights instead of clerics as shadow knights have a controllable pet while clerics don't.
    Tucoh likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

This still counts

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1721

If only because in my captain planet themed 4x mage box group i named my cleric tucoheart and named the cleric pet Gaia!
  10. Zamiam Augur

actually shaman pet could be also a decent pet with a real healer healing it and of course pet toys and gear .. I've seen shaman pets hold off an add for few minutes with shaman healing it :p although I doubt it could stand head to head with a named mob in today's content for any length of time , but I'm not positive .

and druid and cleric pets are just speed bumps ..

I dont play an SK enough to know how good their pets are at high lvls against trash mobs or a named ..
  11. Leigo You come here often?

The tab should be added to all classes that can summon a pet and use it for dps or tanking, semi permanent pet as it were, swarm/aggro > Rog/war pets would not count here.
    Though this feature has been asked for many times. It would be a huge qol, no the gear doesn't need to be permanent, I don't even need the stats to be shown. The ability to equip and unequip gear at will would be huge on its own and very welcome
    Duder likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, cleric have the ability to summon a swarm pet but they can't control it which is what I was bringing up.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Are cleric pets considered swarm pets? I don't think they are since they occupy a pet window and can be renamed.
  14. Zamiam Augur

I dont believe they are swarm pets .. I think they are regular pets with very limited control

EDIT: they are classified as swarm pets .. I just logged in my 110 cleric and under AA ARchtype their pet discipline is for swarm pets control only and they also have the extend swarm pets AA .. but no other control accept for /pet swarm and /pet qswarm
    Tucoh likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They where the first swarm pets if I remember right and the system we have now was developed after they where created.
    Tucoh likes this.