Fixed Internally HA scaling in The Broken Mirror on Phinny

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Dragari, Jun 19, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The fix should be easy. Un-do the HA scaling changes introduced in 2018. Maybe confine era mission difficulty to, you know, the era they came from?

The rub here is that rewards don't change with scaling changes. The content gets tougher as your level increases, but the rewards stay the same. It's asinine game design. It goes against the grain of every game design decision EverQuest has put forth - against the grain of EverQuest itself. The hingepin of EverQuest's success is a valid Risk v. Reward balance. HA Scaling Changes threw this balance out the window.
  2. Password1234 Augur

I guess this explains why I was able to farm the static zones in TBM pretty easily then struggle with noticeably harder mobs in the heroic missions a few months back.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

GMM was increased in difficulty before the new expansion launch. It was then increased again making it much harder in December when TOV launched. Named HP was increased significantly and spell damage qS also increased, so much so I couldn't kill the named in the HA, but didn't matter as TOV named were easier.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Moege Augur

Apologies if it came across if as if I meant Yinla, not my intention. I remember threads about this bug being reported and nothing being done. Could probably dig it up if motivated enough which I am not.
    Skuz and Yinla like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I read it as others not me. :)
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

The interesting part is the HA was far easier than the static zone when it was brand new.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. zarcal Elder

I try not to be a &&!@but how many times has this been pointed out over the last two years and no answer but when the TLP is impacted.. MUST BE FIXED NOW!!!

Lol - Maybe now that TLP is fixed a 20+ year customer can finish quests for alts that scale inappropriately.
    Skuz, Velisaris_MS and Moege like this.
  8. Tiane Journeyman

Well that would explain why, after killing a relatively easy named in Life, then following up with the HA In Defense of Health, Vomitous was hitting for 80K + PER HIT.

That pretty much destroyed any interest I and my group had in actually playing in this stupid expansion. (Annoying itemization doesn't help either...)

And what kind of stupid change was that scaling patch... ugh.
    Fyrewhysper and Skuz like this.
  9. Zinth Augur

Can this get fixed soon? We only have 8 weeks (well now 6 or so) before next expansion and being unable to do the contents = no lust to log on... Not all of us have 6 raid geared chars... but only 3 grp geared chars + mercs... no chance in *beep* we can do this stuff... so much for the excitement of new content... geared for people like 4 expansions ahead or so... don't frigging mess with content in OLD expansions because NEW ones come out, leave old be as is... it was tuned as it were because that fit...
    Dythan and Skuz like this.
  10. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Bump.

@Dreamweaver - on the way to suspend me, can you stick your head in Prathun's office and see if there is even a tentative timeline? If we have to wait till July patch, we can move some summer weekends around, and if not till august, I can join a gym and lose 30lbs, and only raid log.
    Skuz and Zinth like this.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This trend continues through the remainder of the expansions:
    - TBM missions are set to EoK difficulty.
    - RoS missions are set to TBL difficulty.
    - Presumably ToV missions will be set to the next expansion's difficulty.

And so on. I have absolutely, 100% been vocally against this change. TRYING to get people to understand the ramifications. No one cared until TLP ran headlong into it.

Now it's a "confirmed" bug for TLP. :rolleyes:
    Marton, Zinth, Moege and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dragari Journeyman

the slight differential that makes it qualify as a bug in TLP (I do think it was a dumb change) is that it takes it out of Era, when TBM first came round they are not tuned so hard, and the whole idea with progression servers is you go through the stuff in order, and this is not out of order, so I imagine that's what qualifies it as a bug, not the fact its a stupid change that should never have happened on live in the first place :) If it gets fixed I fully expect them to do it in such as way that as soon as EOK is in they annoyingly ramp up again, again showing that in the devs mind at least the current live behaviour is not a bug, the only bug here for them is its out of era.
  13. Zinth Augur

would be nice if they fix it on live too, that change was idiotic, one should not nerf the old content just because new comes out
  14. Password1234 Augur

My account was silver back when I first tried to molo some TBM HAs, and now that I have conflagrant armor, prestige augs, and a J5 cleric merc, I swear these HAs were easier with an A5 merc in a mix of Castaway and Latent Ether with f2p augs in era. I haven't even tried the missions yet, and it sounds like I shouldn't even bother with coming back to do the rest of the expansion.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Any mission, regardless, should stay IN ERA.

I know why HA changes were made and its name rhymes with 'kibbles'. I get WHY they made the change. They want HA's to remain difficult because some nice rewards are locked behind them. What many people did was simply wait until they could simply overpower the mission and brute force their way through it. I just feel like they made the wrong changes for the right reasons.

The problem with the HA changes is that it skews the entire risk v reward curve. The other problem is TLPs.

The HA changes should be reversed. Keep HA difficulty IN-ERA. It should have never been changed in the first place. If Gribbles rewards were too good, adjust the reward. Not the difficulty!
    Yinla and Skuz like this.
  16. Zinth Augur

it is FINE if people can't beat them in era and come back later when they have grown stronger (that is the reason to growing stronger anyways) so moving the goalpost on people is not fair, not cool and not fun
    Yinla and Skuz like this.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Here here!

This is what I don't understand. Why the devs sought to mess with the original tuning on HAs. WHYYYYY????
    Barton and Skuz like this.
  18. Riou EQResource

They were massively undertuned vs mob con on the next level increase expansion, while being easily instanced repeatable forever content (so infinite instant spawns)
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

And by then the XP required per level went up so by then these old HA were going to be much less rewarding to do anyway.
    Barton likes this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Massively undertuned vs players in new gear and higher levels? I'm confused...why is this a bad thing?
    Skuz likes this.