Everquest to mobile soon?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Orbital101, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Orbital101 Augur

I have been playing quite a few gacha mobile games lately and one in particular stands out more than the rest and its Raid Shadow Legend. Among many others like Dungeon Survivor 2, Dragon Champion, Exos Heroes, Calibria, Summon War and 7 Deadly Sin, Raid Shadow Legend is presently doing $8 million profit monthly with 1 million downloads for android with a very angry community. I still don’t understand why they keep supporting the game so much. Their Discord is full of toxic, angry people that have spent thousands of $ in the game thinking they would get new content that never come out, but instead, they always create new ways to get you to spend money for the same content.

TBH everyone is hoping for someone to take over with a similar game but with the most important point which are the graphic. Players don’t want cartoon like or Japanese graphic type... Personally, for me, graphics come second and game play comes first but yeah, graphics is always candy for the eyes. What I would like is for Everquest to do something similar with all the champions we already know and love, with graphics that could match Raid Shadow Legend. Like an improved version of Overseer, but similar to Raid Shadow Legend without so much greed.

Right now I wouldn’t suggest that anyone try out RSL... it's just a trap and hope that another game company will be smart enough to take over!
    Elvierian likes this.
  2. Tasi New Member

You want the dev team to begin a brand new project when there are barely enough of them to keep the servers here running and produce maybe 1 expac every year or so? Never gonna happen.
    Coagagin and Tucoh like this.
  3. Pawtato Augur

From the looks of Overseer, it looked like they were playing with the concept of having something mobile.
    Waitwhat and Angahran like this.
  4. Sazxus New Member

5. svann Augur

EQmobileNein
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Every Mobile game I have tried is fundamentally designed to bleed its players of money and does that by making play without spending money absolutely godawful & the RPG style game especially horrible grinds.

Sub games are far superior in terms of a quality player experience.

I do not believe EverQuest would be a suitable game for mobile & I don't think Daybreak/Darkpaw have the resources to do so & do it justice anyway.

I think the best thing EverQuest can do is stay well away from Mobile gaming in general as that whole model is just a wild-west of customer exploitation & blatant money grubbing right now, it needs time to clean up its act & mature, if it ever does.
    Tucoh and cadres like this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

I spent way too much money on Game of War a couple years ago. (habit kicked) but that sounds basically like what you are describing.
  8. Triconix Augur

So people are upset with a game company for not creating new content, yet are continuing to spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on the? That sounds more like a personal problem than a game problem. You know what those people are called? Suckers. Nobody is forcing them to spend money. They did it on their own free will. If you aren't satisfied with the return, here's a thought...don't spend the money!

Also, I hope EQ doesn't turn into a mobile, pay-to-win style game. The only mobile gaming I do is installing emulators of systems and play old handheld games. You want mobile EQ? Create a VPN tunnel to your desktop at home, sign in, and play EQ. Problem solved. EQ is now mobile.
  9. Tucoh Augur

I haven't been on live since January so I haven't used overseer but I wouldn't mind seeing the overseer content be accessible through a mobile app. It looks designed for it atl east.
  10. Sobmre Augur

I would like some sort of bazzar and or tradskill thing that connects to your eq toons.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I played Everquest World for a while, was disapointed when they got rid of it.

I wouldn't say no to something else EQ related, especially if it gave me in game rewards.
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

Right, overseer was speculated to be on mobile as well.
  13. Elvierian New Member

Mobile gaming is the future. Smart phones and Smart pads are out selling laptops and desktops more and more every year. I sometimes think Darkpaw thinks that they have to choose between the two. Stay with what we know or risk it all on a mobile app that could fail. I believe Darkpaw, if they had the will, could create a multi platform EverQuest without damaging the longtime loyal customer fan base. EverQuest has over a 20 years life and going. I really would like EQ to continue for another 20 years at least. But that means Darkpaw has to adapt to future technologies that are getting smaller and smaller. I doubt that in 15 years times, it will be possible easily buy a desktop PC. Or even a Laptop for that matter. Most electronic communications will be from mobile hand held devices and servers. Your iPhone or Android could have single handedly launched, fully controlled and return all of the Apollo space flight missions. Compare that to all of those wall sized computer components using reels of magnetic tape as memory and a soft drive. Well if Darkpaw fails to bring EQ mobile to market, perhaps they will bring a new game that seems comfortably familiar to EQ, yet different enough to be its own game on its own merits.

I for one, hope that Darkpaw has plans for an open world mmorpg that is either a separate or a multi platform version of mobile EverQuest world.

For one who supports the world of EverQuest for mobile devices. I salute you and sing your praises.
    Elvierian Oakenheart

14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Everquest Immortal anyone?
  15. Act of Valor The Newest Member

"Is this an out of season April Fool's joke?"
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

The biggest Whale's win! haha
  17. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Nah, the biggest whale in Diablo Immortal couldn’t find PVP matches anymore because they outspent everyone so fast.

When it comes to Diablo Immortal, since release, its monetization system has been mostly met with criticism. That criticism ranges from this is shady to accusations of being predatory and pay to win. Yet, the newest criticism might be one of the more surprising: a streamer who says he spent about $100k to power up his character can’t find anyone relatively similar to play with via matchmaking
    https://www.mmorpg.com/news/blizzar...find-anyone-to-match-with-2000125715?amp=true
  18. Orienn TreeHugger

No thanks lol.
  19. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

How would you play EQ on a phone? The game is so twitchy you would end cracking your screen on the first session.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I haven't tried any mobile games, but the more I read about it, the more Im convinced that mobile gaming has yet to truly mature.
    Mobile gaming is currently the "shallow get rich quick"-scheme of game development, and the focus often seems to be money driven, rather than the goal of delivering a quality gaming experience to the player.
    Big gaming corporations often seems to be blinded by the dreams of a "new untapped market", and some of their strategic decisions are often affected by FOMO, rather than core competencies(just think of all the gaming companies that were talking about NFT's half a year ago).
    Im not saying mobile gaming has no future, but the focus will need to be different than just milking microtransactions, before it can truly bloom.
    Greed and creativity rarely mix, when it comes to quality game development.

There are also the more practical limitations: The small display size and input options puts certain limits to user-interface and controls, which could limit the complexity of the games themselves.
    I don't think the desktop will "die" as a gaming platform.
    Tarvas likes this.