Quest Text or Skip

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Lianeb Augur

I challenge you to do the next expansion without reading anything.
    Including an online resource like EqResource or Allaz. EQTraders
    All of the hints for how to do things are in the game text
    Recipes are in books ect....
    Yinla, Pawtato and Elyssanda like this.
  2. Tolzol Augur

I’d have to agree with this.... It also doesn’t help that anytime Ngreth has tried putting in things that aren’t completely spelled out for people to figure out everyone cries about it and he has to change it.
    Ngreth Thergn and Tucoh like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

One thing that EQ could really use is a player-run website that writes up the lore for each expansion and combines the background, ingame books, quests and raid info into a digestable walk through to figure out what is going. Sometimes I'll try to follow along the plot and it'll make some sense, but kind of dead ends in ways that I don't understand. Plus since I don't raid the story leads into raids I'll never see. It reminds me as a kid watching WWE and seeing weeks of plot buildup to a PPV event that I always missed :D

I was also thinking about how much more depth an MMO would have if I read a fictional book series that went along-side with each expansion. I never read stuff like https://www.amazon.com/Rogues-Hour-Everquest-Scott-Ciencin/dp/1593152949 but it'd be interesting if there was a ToV book that followed a team of adventurers and the NPC characters through the ToV expansion. Same with the next expansion.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, svann and Nniki like this.
  4. Dexxeaa00 Elder

I enjoy reading the Quest text. I enjoy lore and immersion.
  5. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Atrebe is a fear-shard weapon wielding giant Iksar!? :eek:
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

From https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Akhevan_language_and_social_structure
    From the ancient vault I bring you, the brittle crumbling pages that detail the Akhevan language and social structure...

Unfortunately, the Dzarn link is to the Sony forums (EQ's managements have never had the desire I do to preserve history and knowledge) and no longer works. However, I believe the contents of what he posted is on the Fanra's EverQuest Wiki page I got it from.

Also see: https://loreofnorrath.wordpress.com/category/races/akheva/
    Tatanka and Nniki like this.
  7. Pawtato Augur

I do this for other RPGs, like DoS2. The lore was meaningful and well connected into the story and character arcs. Dialogue choices mattered, and I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone but be careful with your decisions.

EQ lore has never connected with the actual visuals of the world, so I don't bother with it. I don't really see the appeal of your challenge. I did read some quests and text, while playing on the new TLPs though.
  8. GoneFission Augur

Back during the DoDH expansion, I think it was, that the game had lore pages that you could bring up. It read like a serial, and the game kept track of where you had read, so you could pick it back up.

I caught up to where it didn’t seem to be updating any more, then I forgot about it. I seem to recall it describing a small dark wanderer that opened the portal in Nektulos Forest, and went up through the corrupting of the nest where the dragons raised their young.
  9. Nniki Augur

The Story Window can be opened with Alt + N. It's listed as Storyline, fourth from the bottom of the EQ button menu and can also be found on the Window Selector.
  10. svann Augur

I liked that the text when you finish velks hints at things to come next expac. If you use the right words to ask him.
  11. Annastasya Augur

There should be a command /cinemasins that just inputs all the trigger words and skips all of the dialogue.

SKIP!
  12. Verily Tjark Augur

I bet some of you read every line of text in every hail during TDS.
    Tatanka likes this.
  13. Password1234 Augur

Gotta do something in between hails.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  14. Annastasya Augur

Spam Hail out of spite
    Sarcogian likes this.
  15. Password1234 Augur

My keyboard can only handle so many presses of the H button, it needs a rest.
  16. svann Augur

/pause 30, /hail
    /pause 30, /hail
    etc
  17. Evantil Drop Bear Spite Golem

The Creation of Norrath
    In the beginning, all that existed was void. Empty of all, whether it be time or space. A vast and endless nothingness cloaked in a deep and all consuming silence.
    Within this void existed "The Nameless", a power so incredible that in the entire universe, it knew only itself to exist. It had no idea why it was there, just that that it was.
    In the quiet expanse of the void, it sent itself out and searched the void to find something different. And there it was, a pocket of space and therein lay the flow of time.
    When The Nameless stepped into the space, something terrible but wonderful, something terrifying but exciting happened. It detected the elements of space and time.
    The Nameless, knowing nothing of these things, freed what was in there so it could spread out in all directions, filling the space that had been empty for so long with a force that had no boundaries.
    Forces touched each other and the emptiness filled with swirling energies, light and head touched emptiness. Energies collided and crashed, were born and died and became new and different... none of those having been seen ever before started to form planets that differed in size and structure. Also created were stars to watch over this new creation.
    But the whole chaos needed order, shaping and fine touch. And so The Nameless created The Gods of Power.
    To do so, The Nameless reached into the chaos, drew forth four equal portions of the stuff of existence and shaped it into the Gods that would divide the universe into form.
    The first was named The Ratheand got the task of bring order into the Chaos. It saw that the task was indeed immense, so it reached into itself and divided into 12 equal parts.
    Then The Rathe went into the chaos and divided some more material and created Earth. This Earth got set under the eyes of The Nameless, under the stars, so it could watch over his cosmos.
    The second was named Fennin Ro and received the task of shaping the chaos.
    Fennin as well drew his portion and named it Fire.
    He then placed it upon the stars to shed light on the cosmos. Fennin Ro helped The Rathe to shape the solid matter and gave warmth to the cold of chaos.
    The third was named Water and The Nameless determined it would need many forms.
    So it took the portion and split it into three.
    Tarew Marr would be responsible for the main state of the element; the Water, E'Ci for the solid state; the Ice, and Povar would lord over steam. These three took their portion and cloaked each world with its life giving touch.
    And finally the fourth was named Xegony and she received the task of drawing away the material in-between and setting each thing in its place.
    She used her portion of chaos to make it into Air, which she used to blow the chaos away and cushion each world from the harshness of the cold cosmos.
    The Nameless then looked into its new creation and felt sorrow because it could not experience it, for the creation could not contain The Nameless and so it decided to find a way to explore this new existence.
    So The Nameless called out to the Gods of Power and commanded them to make minions that it could share in their experience of this new world.
    Each of the Gods of Power reached into their elemental planes and drew forth a portion that they shaped with their will into what would be eyes and hands for The Nameless and themselves.
    They created beings of energy, much like themselves, but beings of will born of the matter of the cosmos.
    The Gods of Power knew that balance must be maintained in the universe to keep its shape.
    Therefore they started to create the Gods of Influence in the model of a scale, on one side a force of darkness or destruction, on the other side a force of light or creation and ...in the middle, a neutral or balancing force to maintain the balance without the involvement of the Gods of Power.
    And so they combined their elements to create each God in turn, good, neutral, and evil, which the children of Norrath may choose to follow until the end of times.
    Coagagin likes this.
  18. Evantil Drop Bear Spite Golem

The Age of Scale
    Veeshan, Crystalline Dragon and ruler of the Plane of Sky, was the first god to notice the world of Norrath. She found this world pleasing and deposited her brood onto the frozen continent of Velious.

With one swipe of her mighty claws, Veeshan opened several great wounds upon the surface of Norrath, staking her claim to this promising new world. Dragons then walked the land and flew the skies, powerful beings of great intellect, wisdom and strength.

The Elder Age

In time the other gods noticed Veeshan's work, and being often petty and jealous beings, they too came upon Norrath, intent upon leaving their mark.

Brell Serilis was first, and from his Plane of Underfoot, a dark realm of vast caves and endless tunnels, he quietly created a magical portal to a cavern deep in the belly of Norrath. Through this portal the Duke of Underfoot seeded the depths of Norrath with all manner of creatures. Brell then returned home, sealing his portal within a labyrinthine chamber of mystical Living Stone.
    And when the other gods came to Norrath, Brell Serilis approached each of them, and after some time convinced them to meet as one to discuss the fate of the world.
    The Great Mother Tunare, and the Oceanlord Prexus were in attendance, and Rallos Zek, the Warlord, was also there, yet in mistrust kept his distance.
    Brell, carefully avoiding all queries as to the origins of his information, told of Veeshan's discovery of the new and potentially powerful world in which she had deposited her brood.
    Words befit of the King of Thieves poured forth from Brell's lips and he proposed that they accept an alliance of sorts, to which all save Rallos Zek agreed, ignorant of the fact that Brell had already released some of his creations into the Underfoot of this new world.
    The planet that would be called Norrath was divided up between these beings of power for the purpose of keeping the Dragon Wurm Queen in check.
    Each would create a race of beings to watch over Norrath and keep a vigilant eye on the schemes of Dragonkind.
    Brell claimed the bowels of the planet and created the Dwarves, stout and strong, deep beneath the mountains of Norrath.
    In the abysmal depths of the oceans Prexus left his children the Kedge, hearty aquatic beings of great mental power and stamina.
    And on the surface of Norrath did Tunare create the Elves, creatures of limitless grace and beauty. Rallos Zek created the Giants, fierce and formidable beings, intent upon the defense of their lands.
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  19. Evantil Drop Bear Spite Golem

There is a lot more but I'll leave it up to you to do the digging. This is all from the base game.
  20. Zamiam Augur

where did you get the story ark from , which NPC's ..