DPS Racing VS Camping Courtesy - Which is it?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blason, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Name2 Augur

Explain it here. I'm not claiming I'm a mental health professional. I'm a software developer. Explain to me how people aren't displaying characteristics of antisocial disorder, which is a mental health disorder characterized by the disregard for other people. I see exactly that and entitlement in the arguments that "DPS race is fine, git gud." There's a reason that other games don't allow for it, it's toxic behavior.
  2. Loze Elder

I genuinely want to understand what you're saying here. Are you saying that my dude here is a very small minority of the player base because he is of the mindset of not wanting to DPS race and mind his own business? I'm thinking it's the other way around here. Probably not 1%, but I'd wager all my plat on Aradune (settle down, it's like 120pp) that the roving bands of savages and barbarians that descend upon unwitting groups to steal their pixels are the vast minority of players. Most of the time, people respect each other. Most of the time.
    Thalliius likes this.
  3. Leifer Augur

I'm sorry your brain hurts.

Perhaps mugging someone in a wheelchair is a bad metaphor. A better one might be scooching someone off a park bench in order to sit where they were sitting. As long as you can keep that action under the threshhold of assault I guess that's okay. Another more appropriate metaphor might be rolling into a baseball park with your drinking buddies and kicking the 10yr olds off the field so you can play your pickup softball game. The kids were just "playing," right? No harm - its happened before and they even knew it might happen again.

Playing a game is still the real world. Real people sit behind those pixel'd characters on the screen - they pay money & put in hours of time. Acting like a d!&k, is well, acting like a d!&k no matter if its a real person on a park bench or a real person on a chair behind a computer. You can be thoroughly obeying the laws in either realm and still be behaving like an anti-social d!&k.

I'm not even saying I am against DPS races per se, but PvP exists if you want to compete against other players directly on a PvP server. I'd suggest EVE online if that's the type of play you enjoy. When I feel like being a d!&k I go to an environment where everyone feels like being a d!&k to anyone not in their Corporation - I go play EVE.

Personally, I tend to just leave such unpleasant encounters if they happen on a PvE server in a game such as EQ. I can understand roleplaying an evil race/class and behaving mischievously and on the margins but most people don't even roleplay. If you want to be a KS'er, camp stealer, etc. you are picking on people (mostly) who are playing a PvE game to cooperate with others and compete against the environment. Most of them are the 10yr olds playing baseball in the park.

As explained above, Darkpaw has monetary incentive to keep the DPS rules in place. Looking the other way when there is player confrontation benefits them. As such, that is how it will be - whether everyone likes it or not.
    Thalliius, yepmetoo and Name2 like this.
  4. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Don't bother. He can't even realize you're in the majority of correctly-thinking players, not the minority, who properly realize that the DPS racing first-ever recognized under failed Holly Longdale's oversight of this game is morally reprehensible when applied to a slow-paced game with a severely-limited content pool.
  5. code-zero Augur

At the end of the day we're all entertaining ourselves by being murder hobo's in Norrath. We win achievements by committing genocidal levels of virtual carnage!

No one can claim to have the moral high ground here. DPS racing is at least more honest than some PNP with appeals to authority to punish someone for stealing your victim. AFK play by any means as well as training are legitimate punishable crimes in game but beyond that it's all good
    Captain Video likes this.
  6. Ronluwen Elder

Antisocial personality disorders are much more broad than Webster's could explain to you in one sentence. Or than I could explain to you on a video games forums. I have worked in the mental health field for 10 years and I'll tell you, it's absurd and offensive to equate what these people deal with to someone taking your stuff in a video game. The vast majority of Sociopaths are people who endured abuse and don't know how to cope with fitting into society. A large number of them will spend their lives either in prison or homeless. However, some Sociopaths learn to cope and live perfectly normal lives.

At the end of the day, this is a video game. You are pixels, this game is pixels, it's all fantasy. How people play that out to escape what they do in their real life is up to them, and in 0 ways equates to being a Sociopath in real life. Even if someone habitually cheated in video games, it would not equate to being a Sociopath in real life. It's just a game. Some of us have seen the destruction that can be brought about from actual disorders and thinking this game has anything to do with that is literally absurd.

It's the games rules. People are playing by the rules that are enforced. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it sociopathy. You're so fundamentally wrong about this it's difficult to even explain. If you actually believe the way you believe and aren't just trolling, it would be very difficult to convince you otherwise.

If you don't think mechanics in other video games are toxic, I don't know what to tell you. I mean, WoW has the tagging mechanic, and that's just as toxic. Playing a class that doesn't have instant cast damage means it takes you 5 times as long to complete quests. Other people just roll through and tag the mobs you need quicker. It's just as toxic. At least with DPS race I can call friends and we can win the camp back. I've literally had a full group of DPS just sitting outside the real group taking exp until we made the group trying to move in on us leave. And it's fine because that's how the game is designed and this is the game I've CHOSEN to play.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. kizant Augur

It's not like that at all.

It's more like you're out getting food and you see a loaf of bread you want to buy but there's only one left and you're too far away to take it. So, you yell from 50 feet away that it's yours. But then someone else walks up and takes it before you can get there. You're certain they heard you so you get mad about it and maybe they were a little rude but then it's also rude claiming something from so far away.

Everyone has an equal claim to the named and it isn't yours just because you said so. If it were yours you would been the one to kill it just like if the bread was yours you would have been the one to take it.
  8. Magickon Augur

Or to put it another way:

yerm likes this.
  9. Ronluwen Elder

And then proceed to diagnose THEM with an antisocial personality disorder.
  10. Name2 Augur

I'm not being disrespectful of sociopaths, and I'm not trying to diminish the struggles they deal with. As a mental health professional with your experience, I'm sure you're well aware that personality disorders present on a spectrum. It's not the same thing for every person. It's more severe in some people than in others. Your complete dismissal of the way some people treat others makes me question your point of view, when the behavior fits the general description of the disorder.

I get that it's just a game. I get that the consequences are low. As a mental health professional, don't you find it interesting that the escape from real life effectively amounts to bullying people in a video game? Do you see how there's disregard for the other players' experience? Do you see that the other group isn't agreeing to play by those terms? Do you see how it appears to fall on that antisocial disorder spectrum?
  11. Name2 Augur

There's no claim to a camp in this scenario. Think about a group that sits in the same spot for hours killing a named placeholder hoping for a spawn. It finally spawns, and someone runs over and kills it. That's the scenario that I'm thinking about. A race to a camp that is open is one thing, the other is straight up bullying.
    Thalliius and Aneuren like this.
  12. Magickon Augur

If a group is camping a named for hours, the named pops, and they don't kill it...the only ones they have to blame are themselves.

Put it another way:

[IMG]
  13. yerm Augur

When I finally get a turn to ride a roller coaster I always stay on as long as I want because I was there first and it's camped.

Real life analogies for eq are stupid, and so are camps.
    code-zero and ThxAlot like this.
  14. Megazen Elder

Back in the old days, servers were very long term propositions, were fairly small population wise, and you ended up knowing pretty much everyone on them. Your server reputation was also really important, and if you got on the wrong side of the server, that character was probably done for, and it was time to reroll or move to another server.

Camps absolutely were respected, and people that went against that were generally ostracized by the community. Now? lol....like the rest of society, it's gotten more and more rude, with no consideration for anyone else, no sportsmanship, and the me me me ADHD is the order of the day.

One of the things that's really changed about EQ, is that sense of community, at least to the extent it existed 'back in the day'. TLPs come and go pretty fast, and people rarely stay around on one server enough to know everyone. There was a self policing nature to that, and there were also GMs actually present on the servers, and they could and would take action in disputes.

TLDR: It is the wild west now, because there are no more sheriffs. There are always going to be people that get away with as much as they possibly can, and are sociopaths by nature. It's sad really. I miss sportsmanship, more than I miss anything else.
    Thalliius, PeterPansicle and Gargen like this.
  15. Loze Elder

He called me an idiot. I may melt, seeing as how I'm a delicate snowflake and all. /cry

I bet all my zero Krono that you do have more than me.

I never mentioned sociopathy or how it relates to a video game I enjoy playing, but I'm starting to think you may need some help. Because I bring my real life morality into a video game world, where I realize that there are real people behind those pixels, doesn't make me a pushover. The old saying 'Don't mistake kindness for weakness' applies here as well as IRL. I don't allow myself to get pushed around in Norrath or in Detroit. I treat people with the respect they deserve, and if they deserve a middle finger, they get one.

I find it absurd that the online life you live is 99% full of ruthless savages in your eyes.
  16. timeconsumer New Member

17. DamastaShonuff Journeyman

DPS race is not how real life works at all. In real life there are consequences for being a dbag. This only happens online because DPG finds it easier to let it be the wild west than actually police things. These players have no concept of being courteous and are social rejects in the real world as a result. They live online because they cant figure out why their DPS race attitude doesn't work offline and why it makes them a pariah.
  18. PeterPansicle Journeyman

Too true. I miss the days where your reputation mattered, where the people being the donkeys were shunned and the behavior was not put up with. I put the DPS race people in the same category as the "get a better job" people, as if that was so easy you could pull it out of your butt and start the next day.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  19. PeterPansicle Journeyman

how about you just do going away and not responding to my posts anymore, otherwise you're trolling and I will report every instance of it.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  20. Leifer Augur

Taking a camp and DPS kill stealing a named is more like taking the loaf of bread out of someone's hand who is handing their money to the cashier - then saying to the cashier I will pay you $3 for this loaf of bread rather than this sucker here who was waiting in line for 4 hours to hand you his $2.

The owner has incentive to take the extra $1 and let everyone else know that doing this same action is tolerated - even encouraged.

I guess it is a matter of opinion if it's d!c&ish or not - and your opinion will differ depending on how big your checkbook is and if you are the owner of the store or not.

Free markets may work that way in some countries, but normally in a democracy this sort of market isn't sanctioned. We do have instances where people fight to grab the last roll of toilet paper off the shelf, but once you are line and ready to pay, its usually yours. It is a matter of perspective and I suppose we could argue about it all day without changing each other's minds.