DPS Racing VS Camping Courtesy - Which is it?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blason, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Domniatric Augur

I try and treat people with the same amount of respect that I would like to receive. If a person or a group has engaged a mob I don't try and take the kill from them. If someone or a group is camping an area and clearing it, I try and find somewhere else to hunt. That being said, if I am wandering around a dungeon either crawling or looking for a camp I will kill what I come across. It is my opinion that you cannot just call swathes of a zone by /oocing that it is yours. You have to actively be clearing it.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Real example is we are both at a buffet where we both have payed for equal access. Your standing in front of the last butterfly shrimp, trying to decide if your still allergic, and I swoop in and take it, leaving you confused and lonely.
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. Name2 Augur

Is that something you would actually do?
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Both in game and at a buffet. Holding people up is the height of selfishness and self importantance. Get your stuff and move on.

Also, once you've pumped your gas, it's time to go, not time to wander into the store, or God forbid across the lot to a fast food joint and place an order. Looking at you red Camry.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Loze Elder

Ha!
    So you take the last shrimp. I then run around the restaurant waving candy at all the sticky fingered kids with pudding all over their faces and shirts covered in spaghetti sauce. I get like 10 or 15 of them and run to your table and dump a whole bag of candy in the middle of your table and lay down on the ground, pretending to be asleep, while yelling about alleged deviant acts your mom probably never did.
  6. Name2 Augur

You would literally shove your way in front of someone for the last butterfly shrimp? You sound incredibly impatient and self absorbed. There's another tray coming. There's another buffet next door. Wait your turn you entitled a$$hole.

And stop eating at buffets, raise your standards.
  7. Password1234 Augur

*forcefully shoving an elderly woman to the ground in the Boston Market buffet line over some sailsbury steak that's going to keep me up all night with food poisoning* git gud nub
    Loze likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Metaphoric arguments are like ducks and water. They want to swim in the water, but only when the sun shines so they can be free.
    Loze likes this.
  9. Ronluwen Elder

I agree. Comparing real life to a video game and morality is actually brain dead stupid. It's a video game with mechanics created by developers and rules enforced by those same people.

If the creators of this game decided to have a sign up sheet so that we could wait in line for camps, and punished those who didn't adhere to those rules; then I would be forced to adhere to those rules or stop playing. But they would never do that because that's stupid.

If me taking a mob that you feel is "yours" is going to make you rage and wish death upon someone, it might be time for you to examine why you play this game.

These are the mechanics of THIS game and these are the rules enforced by those who develop it. Your choices are to adhere to that ruleset or find another game. I would never in a billion years play on P99.
  10. Leifer Augur

PnP use to be the standard, but that was when policing was going on. Ever since it has been impossible to police the "bad behavior", the de facto policy has been DPS race. Essentially, you can't keep people from mugging a cripple in his wheelchair if there is no police to stop them. It is much easier to just say, "stealing will happen and you will just have to deal with it yourself, because we can't do much about it." That PuG group will just have to take it bent over and grinning if a stronger force wants what you thought should be yours. That is the game we now know and it has been sanctioned by DPG.

Now, I don't think this was originally intended. DPS races came along as a compromise when guilds came upon the same open world raid target and stalemate ensued. A few GM's over a few different incidences decided the only real way to solve it was DPS race since neither guild seemed to have a great argument that the target should only be theirs. This policy rolled over into camps and any other desirable targets since what is good for raids should be good for groups or even individuals. GM's didn't have to deal with politics or cry babies any longer now that DPS race is completely sanctioned.

On some servers, guilds have gotten together and put target sharing in place for OW raid targets. Nothing has seriously been done about camps, and I don't know how you would go about it in a sensible matter.

It seems to be in DPG's interest to keep DPS race in place. 1) GM's don't need to police - or hardly even exist. 2) There is incentive for individuals to sub to many accounts in order to hold any camp they want with high DPS. 3) Krono farmers can sell loot outright - either loot itself or loot rights for No Drops. The casual player with one account (the cripple metaphor mentioned above) now will have to buy and trade Krono for the loot they feel they want to have. Win-Win-Win for Darkpaw.
  11. Ronluwen Elder

Because me fire bolting your imaginary frog in a video game is the moral equivalency to mugging someone in a wheel chair.

My brain actually hurts right now.

As if there were no police, everyone would just start attacking people with disabilities, because laws are the only thing that govern morality in this game and in real life. Because the two worlds exactly mirror each other.

You're probably one of those people who believe, if you've ever played GTA, then you must spend most of your time in real life murdering hookers too.
  12. Name2 Augur

Why shouldn't morality extend to interactions in video games? Why is the default response the sociopathic response? Even if game rules don't enforce it, what's preventing you from treating people with the same basic respect you treat people with in the real world?
  13. Pawtato Augur

You're playing a RPG...
  14. code-zero Augur

The actual game mechanics are DPS race. Prior to EQ other games had mechanics that locked the target as soon as it was engaged . Brad & Co did not go for that at all and the PNP was brought in for reasons that were never clear to me and the result was whining, favoritism and corruption in the enforcers. Don't forget the Guides back then who would snap and start summoning characters under dragons and binding them there so they could be de-leveled.

I know on RF when the DPS race was brought on there was much whining, complaining and lying not to mention training.

DPS race is good for the game. It does suck if you suck I suppose but the alternative is just to move along
  15. Kobra Augur

I am a professional crazy person in real life. Couldn't help it, I was born that way.

In game though I try to roleplay as a courteous person.

I will respect your camp/mobs until you give me a reason not to then I will crush you like a bug.
  16. Ronluwen Elder

It's a fake world with fake rules that people play to do fake things. Whether playing GTA or EQ, that doesn't translate to the real world.
    I will never murder a hooker.
    Nor will I ever fire bolt a frog.
    I'll probably never have to fight aliens.
    And I will never be a female dwarf with a beard.

Interactions that happen within the boundaries of a fantasy realm should be treated as such. Participating in dps races doesn't even mean you're a sociopath inside the world of EQ. It has absolutely 0 relation to who a person is outside the world of EQ. So stop making those comparisons to justify how you would prefer the ruleset to be. Make logical coherent arguments rather than justify it through ridiculous extreme comparisons, that only a select few with single digit IQ's would even begin to agree with.

The comparison of the two makes me fairly certain that you don't actually have an understanding of what a sociopath is in the first place.
    ThxAlot likes this.
  17. Ronluwen Elder

Morality in the real world is such a deep and complex topic, and you guys want to just use it as a blanket example to get others to not take "your" mobs.

Play a game that you enjoy to have fun. Keep your weird ideas of "morality" out of the game pretty please.
    ThxAlot likes this.
  18. Name2 Augur

Antisocial attitudes and behavior like finding a group trying to enjoy the game, interrupting their session because you have the ability to take a mob or a camp from them? Lack of conscience like justifying that behavior because it isn't strictly forbidden? Sounds about right to me. Keep justifying it with your veil of anonymity though, they're just people on the internet, not real people.
  19. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

It's only a game if you win. It's just a failed hobby if you don't bring the deeps.
  20. Ronluwen Elder

LOL. Ok man. I could debate you about this all day, because I know way more about the subject than you do. As you have demonstrated that you have no idea what a sociopath is or what antisocial disorder is.

If you want to come to the forums and cry about the "morality" of the people who play within the ruleset of a video game and relate that to someone being a sociopath in real life, be my guest. Within the rules of Everquest, your behavior is closer to being considered anti social. And your opinion on this is by far in the minority. Within the world of everquest, you are the 1%.

If you'd like to continue this discussion so people don't read through paragraphs of dribble they don't care about, due to this being a video game, pm me. I'll be more than happy to explain to you what you're not understanding.