Duel, what did I bungle

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fluid, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Fluid Augur

So I dueled a Magician with a Ranger. Ranger challenged, Magician accepted and sicced the pet on Ranger. I hit my melee button and started slapping the Magician and two guards jumped in and started pounding my Ranger. I decides I am not going to be a hero and worried about potential experience loss, beat feet to the zone line. Just then, another guard jumps in and finishes my character off. I didn't catch if I lost experience, I don't think I did.

Can someone point me in the right direction? It seems like a flaw in the system where a Magician can sic a pet on you w/o guard interference but if you hit back, they rat pack you. I could've used an Arena but chose not to so I wouldn't get any other players seeing it as targets of opportunity.
  2. Captain Video Augur

It's faction. If your Magician is amiable to the guards, and you're not in a designated PvP area like an arena, they will add. In some cities, such as Qeynos, there will be both good and corrupt/evil guards, which will have separate factions, so you have to pay attention to that. You didn't say which zone you were in, so I can't go any further. Either stay in the arena for such experiments, or find a spot where there aren't any faction-based NPCs nearby.
    Fluid likes this.
  3. Imukai Augur

Just duel away from guards unless you can kill them too. Take it outside.
  4. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

What Captain Video said is correct in EQ guards/NPCs choose sides based on faction. Bringing my DE to Crushbone and slaying the Wood Elf invaders was some of the best times i've ever had playing this game.

Insert Fansy the Copycat Famous Bard goes to Rivervale and abuses a PoD bug.com
  5. Machen New Member

This right here is your bungle. Even without the social aggro you would have lost hard. Rangers are one of the lowest delay melee classes, behind only rogues and sometimes monks. Mages are the highest damage shield class. By simply autoattacking, as a ranger against a magician, you are just about instantly killing yourself, low delay against super high damage shield.

You have a LOT of options for dispelling the damage shield. Then, and ONLY then, (plus you need to cc the pet first) you are free to melee the mage. Edit -- but only if well clear of social aggro guards that will put you down fast.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Wyndar Journeyman

Lol runs away from duels
  7. Fluid Augur

Maybe next time I will just put all my cash in the bank and park my character in an Arena before I go to bed. Same Ranger 'Gate w/o all the worry. :)