Disable Emote Animations

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xyphen, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Does anyone know what ini file and variable is used to toggle character emote animations (cheering, etc)? I know you can toggle it in launchpad but I don't want to overwrite other settings.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

LoadSocialAnimations=TRUE
    Xyphen likes this.
  3. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Thanks. For clarification for others looking -- you need to add it to the [Defaults] section of eqclient.ini if it's not there.
  4. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Actually, that didn't work. It's disabled and the characters are still emoting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  5. Sarkaukar Augur

Just to preface - It appears it is an older switch, it does not deactivate Drakkins nor Frogloks emotes. It works only for the original races + Vah Shir.

That command list should not need to be added to the eqclient.ini, it is already there. Change the True to False. For the on/off commands, On is either TRUE or 1, Off is either False or 0.

If you added it and changed it to false and the current one below it somewhere is set to True, then you will still get the animations. The switch does not change the actual emote itself, only the animations.

And... may sure you are complete logged out before making and saving the change.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Xyphen Maximum Augur

The command was missing from eqclient.ini for me (not found using Find in VSCode). The option is unchecked in the Launcher.

I tried:
    • Logging out completely, adding LoadSocialAnimations=FALSE to [Defaults] section and logging in
    • Logging out completely, setting LoadSocialAnimations=0 in [Defaults] section and logging in
    • Unchecking/rechecking/unchecking the box in Launcher and logging in/out again

I'm testing it on a Wood Elf, Barbarian, Dark Elf and Gnome. One of the Dark Elves doesn't do the animation when I /shrug (good) but the rest still do it (bad).

Very strange.
  7. Sarkaukar Augur

Hmm.. are you using default setup/location for EQ? And drilling down to the directory or opening it up via the Launchpad/Advanced tools in the lower left corner? And could you have more than one EQ installation?

Reason I am asking on how ya getting to the folder is that default location setups can be a strange beast every since Vista. Personally this is one of the reasons I do not use default location for my games. For most games it would not matter but for games that allow modifications to starting files and such, one does not have to look in more than one or two locations. This is also why some games will used put configuration files "Saved Games" folder to save specific files, profiles, etc. EQ does not do that, the files are specific for that specific file location (in case you are running multiple accounts with different install locations).

But when you said it didnt work, I logged back in with a Drakkin seller and checked emote, Cheer, logged out and opened up eqclient.ini with notepad (it is just a text file). Changed it to False then logged back in.. still cheering. Tried other toons, no cheering.. Logged back into Drakkin.. cheering. Checked Vah Shir, no cheering.. Had to check if Frogloks were before/after Vah Shir (it has been a long time!!) .. okay.. it cheered. Logged back into both Half-Elf and Gnome.. no cheer.

Now, as mentioned eqclient.ini is just a text file. If it has been saved in a wrong format or encoding (UTF-8 is default) then EQ may not be reading it, or not able to read it correctly. Open it with notepad, then do a save as. It should say Save as Type > Text Document then to the lower right Encoding UTF-8, provided you have opened the eqclient.ini for the correct game location :)
  8. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Yeah, I'm using the one in: C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest. It's also the one that the Launchpad opens. I do have another EQ installation for P99 but it's on another drive.

Hmm, so you're saying the setting only applied to some of your characters? The only thing weird is that I have multiple client.ini's for different characters. I have the main eqclient.ini, then I have 5 others like "eqclient-Xyphen.ini". I tried adding the setting to all of those.

I believe it was IS Boxer that added the additional files.
  9. Sarkaukar Augur

Ahh, okay.. correct, EQ would only have created the actual eqclient.ini, it does not create individual eqclient files. Now there are, of course individual character/server files for each toon but only one eqclient.ini overall file. So you are correct, the other files would have been created by the IS Boxer program.

When a change is made in the main eqclient.ini, I am not aware of how [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] updates its files, that would be something you would need to look into on their boards. Also, that would be something to look into if you ever make a change and want to ensure that all toons have the updated eqclient.ini file.

And with that info posted, it may help anyone else who may have issues with a changed eqclient.ini not affecting other toons if/when that program.
  10. Madeni Elder

When you get to log in screen, click advanced tools(Gear) on the left side, Game configuration option. click through to 3rd page and uncheck Social animations.
  11. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Yeah, we went through that above :p. It didn't work -- thanks, though.
    Lilybeme likes this.
  12. Sarkaukar Augur

Xyphen, have you tried going through and deselect "eqclient.ini" on each toon in that program, so it pulls from the actual eqclient?

Okay, if any settings are made via OptionsEditor from the Launchpad, settings which are not part of the in-game options, said changes do not auto-population the other eqclients, and this will be any of those settings. And if do

For each toon, I do not know how each are different from the others which eqclient would be different from each other. And when making any changes, make sure both EQ and ISB closed down.

1. Unless using different resolutions and other tidbits, deselect eqclient.ini for each toon in that program and it will pull from the original eqclient.ini
    2. Keep personalized eqclient.ini for future changes, but then delete the personalized eqclient allow the new eqclient.ini to be copied over.
    3. If making only one or two changes, edit each personalized eqclient, changing the value or adding the command line, such as adding stick figures StickFigures=1 (example)
    4. Make sure the files are not marked read only.

You may have already gone one route or the other but thought I would post this. Also though, if one of the toons crashes repeatedly, this could corrupt the or their personalized eqclient.ini.

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] redirects EQ on what file to read for each toon when using a personalized eqclient.ini, but that file is first created off the existing eqclient.ini. Changes then made to that specific toon is only located in that specific personalized eqclient.ini.
  13. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Oh wow, I didn't know you could force it to use a single .ini file. I made the changes in ISB and will update on progress tonight. That may actually solve an DX9 zone crash bug I had as well.
  14. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I'm happy to report that it worked! Specifically:
    1. De-selected ini files in ISB
    2. Manually deleted all but normal eqclient.ini from EQ folder (backed them up)
    3. Reloaded ISB and logged in (didn't run patcher)
    My characters finally no longer cheer every time my Enchanter's Mana Recip aura goes off.

Thanks for you help.