Fixed Your Overseer quest Shark Bait has failed to start.

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Drewie, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Drewie Augur

As the yellow message in the main window says. I'm not sure what's wrong, it looks like a pretty good setting ?

[IMG]
    Lenadarx, Madforwdw, Omegga and 19 others like this.
  2. Drewie Augur

So i tried multiple times with always the same yellow error message.

Then I closed the Overseer window, reopened it, same bug and I also couldn't even select any agent for any overseer quest.

After relogging I'm now at 5/5 quests while I was at 4/5 before, the additional quest not being Shark Bait (I didn't check their names before, only their number). And I still can't select any agent for any overseer quest - that I could not start anyway, but that's another thing.

Completely closing and restarting the EQ client didn't solve the problem, I still can't select any agent for any quest.

Active Quests tab says :
    Max Completed Quests : 2/10
    Max Active Quests : 5/5
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Just a couple of things to check:

Were you at the 5 quest limit when you tried to start it?

Did you verify on the Agents tab that you actually had a copy of each agent to use? Sometimes, the agent counts on the Quests tab will bug out and are different from the actual count.
  4. Drewie Augur

No, I didn't check that. Though now I understand why I couldn't start any new quest, I had to change the window layout in order to take a screenshot, which made the "Available Agents" panel almost completely disappear off window, I just could see the first line with text and not the second line with agents faces ... I guess this panel should have a higher minimum height to prevent this from happening.

Now that I was back at 4/5 I was able to get the Shark Bait quest, but this was really buggy a few hours ago.
    Lorai likes this.
  5. Holdover New Member

It is still buggy.

I got one quest to start, the next two gave that error message, the fourth worked, the fifth worked, the three following gave the error message, the ninth worked and then went back to the start and got the third one (now second on the list) to work.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Lorai like this.
  6. Mikana Augur

Getting this a LOT, particularly on the Common Conversion quest - I have at least 4 of each of the agents I pick for conversion, pick three different agents, and fairly consistently get "..has failed to start" message.

Agents chosen were Entrancer, Troublemaker, and Grunts. Each of which I have four of. Currently on Max Completed 1/10, and Max Active 4/5.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Lorai and Jondalar like this.
  7. mewkus Augur

I've had this happen many times. Most recently it was during a conversion quest. I usually go through and convert any duplicate common agents I have up to uncommon, so I scan through looking for x2 in quantities of the agent to pick which ones to sacrifice.

Most recently, Kelethin Herbalist was showing that I had x2 quantity in the agent select window and I could not start the quest. When looking at the list in the agents tab, it showed I only had a single instance of the Herbalist. When I picked a different agent for that slot (keeping the other two agents the same), I could start the quest.

I had a similar instance in a regular quest (not a conversion) where Dhampyre showed x3 in my agent select window for the quest and I was unable to start it. Under the agent tab, it showed I only had two instances of Dhampyre. When picking a different agent (who unfortunately wasn't as well suited for the quest), i was able to start the quest.

So, if there's any kind of miscommunication between the quest tab and the agent tab regarding the quantity of any of the agents you want to send on a quest, it likely will not let you start the quest.

I don't know any tricks to get the two tabs to communicate better, but if you said logging out and back in didn't fix it, that's about as reset as we (as users) are able to go. I did try zoning and that did not fix it either.

[IMG]
    Lorai likes this.
  8. dreadlord Augur

Never had this problem before (I've had all the others - consistently!). Last night I get this error on one acc; today on another. Both accs can't do common conversion at all. No amount of clicking; checking; zoning; logging in/out/switching toons makes any difference. I can do other quests - just not common conversion
    Lorai likes this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

It's a bug that's been there since day one of Overseer and they refuse to fix it.
    lockjaws, Lorai and cadres like this.
  10. dreadlord Augur

Still can't do conversions on any account. Quick straw poll of guildies says others are having the same problem
    As suggested above, it seems to be an issue of communication between 'bits' of the program. For eg in picking agents for the quest, it says I have 4 emissarys. But in the list of agents, it says I have only 2
    Have clicked all round and about and nothing is improving.
    Lorai and cadres like this.
  11. Ashigaru Augur

Same issue here - can still do other quests, but common conversion bugs no matter which agents I choose

Lorai and cadres like this.
  12. Glynrol New Member

I am having the same issue with different quests I have narrowed it down to one specific agent on the conversion quests. I now have 5 of them but anytime I select that agent the quest fails. The agent is not incapacitiated or dispatched on another quest.
    Lorai likes this.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

Did you verify on the Agents tab that you actually have 5 copies, or are you just looking at the available agents list on the Quest tab?
  14. Jondalar Augur

Just had this happen. Same problem. Agents tab says 1 Ice Drake while the common conversion agent selector shows 2. However, immediately before this problem started happening i opened overseer and saw that it was at 6/5 current quests. There was supposedly a common conversion that I had not claimed. I am not sure how i got to 6/5 running quests. I logged in this morning to see this. It was after claiming that one that I then had the problem with counts.
    Lorai and dreadlord like this.
  15. dreadlord Augur

Exactly the same scenario here.
    After the hassle of the past few days, everything worked last night as it should. Then this morning - this.
  16. Shaantara Made of Moonlight

Just tried to do Uncommon conversion multiple times on one account and kept getting the "failed to start" message. Tried another quest and it worked, next one I got the "failed to start" message again. I have 5/10 quests toward my limit so isn't that.
    The other account had no problems at all.
    Lorai likes this.
  17. Lorai Lorekeeper

Me too last night, first time I've seen this. Setting up tasks, chose my available agents, clicked Start, and nothing. Tried multiple times, closed out & back in, no go:

[Sun Jun 21 23:09:37 2020] Your Overseer quest Any Profit is Good Profit has failed to start. Please verify your selected agents and wait a moment before attempting to start it again.
    [Sun Jun 21 23:15:08 2020] Your Overseer quest Delicate Delivery has failed to start. Please verify your selected agents and wait a moment before attempting to start it again.
  18. Ninelder Augur

Awesome after a week of being locked out at 10/10 your stupid buggy untested game is now failing to start new quests.... How many more ways can you say fail?
    lockjaws and dreadlord like this.
  19. GoneFission Augur

I got that failed to start error. I tracked the issue down to one of the agents could not be used (it was a common agent that I had 4 of). When I substituted that agent, I could start the quest.

On another quest in that set, it also could not start if I put one of that agent in it. I think the agent count got bugged from a conversion, and it sorted itself out after the next rotation. I also only had two of those agents after the rotation.

I suspect a set of pointers in a linked list got crossed up.
  20. Hegsheoshed Augur

I have this unfortunate ability to post on these bugs first at times but I seem to also have the ability to name my posts wrong.

In my case it was trying to start the quest with the agent at the top of the list for that particular selected agent. Other quests that might have been affected were conversion quests but since I check the agents tab for every conversion I do against the number showing when setting up the quests I see the mismatch in counts and stop or do conversions using other agents skipping those with a bad count.

Logging out completely and restarting the client fixes the agent count but also had the quest jump from 3/10 to 10/10 which is why I just skip those agents for later.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/restarted-client-to-fix-agent-count.268286/