[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by magman, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Tucoh Augur

63 hours last time I MMO poop socked. Then the servers went down.

My response was mostly a joke.
    [IMG]
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Many many years ago I ran a camp non stop to get everyone in my guild a HH item I think it was.. in SSRA. That will never happen again with me I was much younger then :).

The 20 hour idea won't stop afk players but I guess it could slow some down a fair bit so could be a worthwhile idea.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I wonder if there is a way to do a player based check on AFK bots.

What if players could target a character and do a captcha check ie you to /captcha bob and he sees on his screen a captcha he has to respond to with say 20 minutes. This could read group roles and send it to the toon that is listed as the main tank for the group or better yet a new role could be created called captcha reader or something. It would allow players to select a toon to receive captcha test requests.

A player account could be limited to initiating one captcha test a day.
    If someone receives one and passes it then they can't get another on for 2 hours.
    If a player sends a captcha request to another player they can't do it again to anyone for 24 hours.

No response to a captcha gives a big warning message on screen and emits a warning sound to all toons in the group (up to folks if they still dont want to play with sound on). Then it logs the group off if the captcha isnt done.

Thats the gist of the idea. I have no idea how it would affect server loads doing this and a lot more thought would have to be put in to prevent griefing.

The overall idea is to allow players to do the policing but not create a mechanic for griefing folks who are not afk playing.

I welcome comments on how had the idea is or how good it is but please lets not make it personal. I AM NOT saying this has to be done or needs to be done just offering up the basics of an idea. I honestly doubt daybreak would adopt anything like this but it would be an interesting discussion.

Please point out all the reasons this wouldn't work as well as ideas to make it better.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Ok, I actually thought those really long sessions never happens in reality, and that everything 40+ hours was more or less lethal.:eek:

As for the captcha check-idea, It might work, but might take too much dev-time to implement properly...I only think the devs are interested in "easy" solutions. :(
  5. Tucoh Augur

nah man, 20, 40 or 63 hours is nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)

Gaming is perfect for staying awake for days because it's low energy, provides entertainment and motivation. With a little bit of prep work (food that you can digest without GI issues or getting rekt by your glycemic cycle) and the right motivation any healthy person can go days without sleep.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

Keto?

(Newcomer on the playing field of new eating patterns, but have really good experiences with different approaches).
  7. The real Sandaormo Augur

Typical ISB user: Loads up 6 toons, spends hours getting all his buttons all lined up, makes all his hot keys just right and then proceeds to kill a Light blue mob in under 3 minutes.

Pulls 2, dies, says he wasn't ready.
    Nennius, IblisTheMage and Khat_Nip like this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

I do keto normally but when I'm poop socking i snack on a steady flow of protein and complex carbs. Fat is harder for your system to digest which is normally good but becomes a problem when you don't sleep. For me anyway, ymmv.

The above is a fancy way to say i snack on crackers and lunch meat :D
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Oh, is THAT why? :rolleyes:
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This resonates with me. :D
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

- Group is afk. /captcha! Good bye!
    - Person has multiple accounts and can grief someone they don't like multiple times a day, every day of the week.

There is no way that this works.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That is definitely why there has to be limits to it. Ideally it would be the GMs using that sort of thing. But yeah my biggest concern would be griefing and ways to prevent it.

So having a group position to be flagged for any captcha stuff to go to is one, limiting a check to once every x number of hours for that toon so if someone did one to them cant get another one for x hours. Limiting a check being sent once a day per account... lot of ways it could be made less of a griefing issue... so its interesting to discuss.
  13. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

For those still asking, on May 28th 2020 Devs stated the game works and supports I S Boxer, so its legal.

Zamiam, Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  14. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Just be happy Ridosaw only plays WoW now or he might be able to camp all of Commonlands at once with his 59box crew.

[IMG]
  15. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Anther thing about this idea which could be problematic. Suppose it was your lucky day. You finally got the named camp which our BOT friends have been hogging for the last month or longer. A lot of people come by to see if the camp is available. You're there, so they target you with the dreaded captcha. I guess I better not med or take a quick BIO break. I just might get the boot.

You could possible hit with this 20 times in an hour. That would make for some miserable game play.

I agree, something needs to be done about these automated, always hogging a prime spot bot groups. But the captcha idea just won't work. These's just to much potential griefing that could and will happen.
  16. PhinigelKronoFarmer Journeyman

You are fooling yourself if you think there wouldn't be a macro available by the time the servers came up from the patch that would automate the Captcha.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Or you're in the middle of a burn, and some idiot comes up with 4-5 of their chars and /captcha!
    Eaedyilye likes this.
  18. Zamiam Augur

well if there was a time limit of say 2 or 3 min to respond to the captcha ..
    I wouldn't like the idea of a captcha either , but I'm sure they could come up with something ..
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

A variation of the Captcha idea could be that for every 3 hours of play, you have to do a captcha, and you have an hour to do it.

So the /captcha is a personal command that you activate yourself, when it fits your gameplay.

So you could play 3 hours and 55 min without doing it.

Have it reset after 48 hours, so if you play less than 4 hours pr 2 days, you never have to do it.

A counter is continually showing you where you are in the cycle.

You can reset the cycle anytime by using the command.

So a 24-hour botter would have to attend all toons 6 times pr 24 hour cycle. That would be tedious for the person, and that in itself would give some sense of justice :).

I do not think it would deter all, but it would deter quite a few. The prospect of botting changes quite a bit if you hawe to work for it.

Based on this experience, future innovations could be made, slowly making botting less desirable, while not negatively impacting the active players, at least from a net benefit perspective.

It could be that an account that has a lot more hours played pr week moves into a watchlist, that also groups them by in game grouping and location.

From this list, a DM could click on the group, jump to their location, and look a bit.

It could be that based on this observation, the DM finds the group suspicious, and then flags the group as yellow.

For the next two weeks or a month, the toons in that group have the 4 hour cycle distributed out over the 4 hour period, and the time slot where they can /captcha reduced, so it is fixed to a specific half hour interval. So now the botter have to attend the party every 40 min on average, with no extra time spent pr toon for the legit boxer. Of corse this should not be done lightly, to not inconvenience unnecesarily.

A group member that has been marked as yellow once gets an orange flag, for the next 3 months. Orange flags give a visual cue for the dm overwatching all the servers. A dm can manually give a group a green flag, which will stay for a year. Again, just a visual cue.

Also, add Discord support; a video call with a boxer can clear up a lot...
  20. Zamiam Augur

I dont play for very long periods anymore , but on my days off I could do a 6 hour stint .. so the captcha if it was every 6 - 8 hours would be good .. I mean really this is for the botters who afk for days/weeks at a time ..

As I am a boxer and box anywhere from 2 to 5 toons at a time having to do a capcha every 4 hours on each of my toons would be rather tiresome and annoying granted I dont play usually to long at any given time but I know most boxers do box longer than 6 hours at a time ..

we want this to be very annoying to Botters but not so annoying that it will piss us boxers off..

how bout a timer to auto log you out of game completely after say 8 or 12 hours if you log back in within a 4 hour window the timer still counts down from the 8 -12 hour countdown from where ever it left off of .. only way to reset the 8 - 12 hour timer is to stay offline for more than 4 hours then it resets . A timer with the auto log off option and a captcha option every 4 hours that only show's on the toon that is marked as leader or MT .. that would deter or make it annoying for most botters .. if the captcha was only directed at 1 toon out of a box group then I would be ok with it popping up every 3 hours with a 1 hour response time ..
    I dont know im just throwing some ideas out and giving my feedback on how i feel about the captcha idea.. I think its a good idea IF there is limitation being it is only directed at 1 toon in the bot/box group instead of all toons in group as that would just get annoying ..
    IblisTheMage likes this.