Icebound Avatar Mission

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fohpo, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Fohpo Augur

Okay, I've done this mission a bunch now and I can't for the life of me understand why he sometimes ports up early (as high as 66% HP). I know that it seems like there are two different types of giants, one %HP based and another on some sort of timer (wish I had it).
  2. The real Sandaormo Augur

Never seen him port up sooner than I expected. This may be a new issue?
  3. Tucoh Augur

I've never seen him port early and only see giant and axe spawns at health %
    svann likes this.
  4. Conq Augur

Seen him port up from 68% to 62% in hunnerds of runs. Hunnerds.
    Conq
  5. Szilent Augur

same. ultra consistent. I once drove him to 57% before he scooted out, but that was a combo of me and some lag, not the script
  6. Xyphen Maximum Augur

He ported at 68% for me the other night when a wave spawned. Was very annoying/unexpected. Usually he'd leave right at 60% and when the giants were dead.

It seemed like a bug because he poofed when one of the giants warped back up to the stadium.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Seems to be reliably 62 in all the times I've done it.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Maybe there is a timer, and if you take too long he ports up?

Never ever seen him go up early. Once he hits 62%, its like 6 seconds later he ports up or whatever.
  9. Szilent Augur

Mission's been soloed by going one add at a time. While technically possible, I doubt any group of players went slower than that.
  10. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Do you by chance have a link to the Twitch/YouTube of this? I recall hearing a Beastlord solo'd it but it's hard to believe that one person was able to soak all that damage.
  11. Szilent Augur

The one I watched was an SK. I'm sure some paladin could accomplish the feat also.
  12. Fohpo Augur

Someone said a beastlord was solo/moloing too. My issue is just with the port not being reliable in my experience.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Its definitely soloable by shadow knights and paladins.

DPS isn't an issue, already have to go non-dmg or let avatar beat on my back to clean up adds as is, and glyph makes anything possible. But in a group I'm tanking 4-5 adds plus avatar with 2her out and not in real danger of dying. 1 add at a time would be a cinch.
  14. NeverPayForLag Augur

Then you must have raid gear and endless other options. Something seemed to change. I did that mission with a couple of tries beginning of the year. Now I tried it again with the same group setup (even with a bit more AA which does not make much difference) but I am surely now around the 15th wipe tonight. Group gear, ToV TS, nearly full AA - I get the first part then on the second part cleric is OOM, warrior gets down the rain, SK helps a bit and Mage compenates but in the end the group step by step looses ground and adds kill the group. Last try was at 9%. This sucks really. I ask myself if there is a special option to get rid of the adds in the part 2. No mezzes/AE-root seems to stick. Axes and minions are too much - I am at moment clueless why it worked over a half year ago.
  15. Tappin Augur

It’s all about DPS on the adds - took me a awhile to box this mission. A group geared SK can easily tank named and at least two adds and three with disc going. My cleric is raid geared, but mana shouldn’t be an issue.
  16. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

I have seen him port up early (before 60%) but its rare and I think its more lag on his health reporting than a bug in the script. It naturally seems to happen when you think you have the All Credit to Rallos achievement done and you're just waiting on him to kill the last giant that spawns under 65%. He's at 62% and takes the last giant with him and you miss the achievement ---grrrrrr

Maybe someone who is bored could parse it and see if they could figure out if he's taken enough damage to go up even he's reporting higher than that. Is it also possible that it has to do with DPS vs regen? i.e. he ports up after XX million damage taken regardless of what his health percentage is because you didn't do enough damage to him and he's regenned some.

Are you just trying to burn through him when he's topside? If thats not seeming to work just keep working the adds, lay off the dots on the avatar, control pet targets and work him down slow. Axe spawns, kill the axe, orc spawns kill the orc.

Its honestly not a DPS fight though DPS covers up a multitude of sins. Other than the bending the knee its not even a following directions for the event fight. Its what I would call a pay attention or a discipline fight (not a melee discipline, an EQ player discipline). Switch targets where you need to, cycle through your offensives (spires, swarm pets, whatever) even on the adds since you don't want to spawn 8 adds with a burn on the Avatar. I main heal this one as a shaman all the time so I can only sympathize when it comes to mana issues. I generally check with our DPS when we get topside and see who has enough burn left and I usually call burn at 25% and from 50 to 25 we just work the Avatar down and kill the adds one by one as they spawn.
  17. NeverPayForLag Augur

No. My strat is:

1. Tank with Sword/Board on Named (slowly killing)
    2. DPS/all others only kills as fast as possible the adds (partly to 25% if 2-3 adds are adding for the Nuke of the Named)
    -> Duck whenever needed (can avoid the DT very well meanwhile)
    3. Killing all adds before AoW ports upstairs (to avoid additional adds or the "axe-effect")
    4. Running upstairs and engaging
    5. Step by Step reduce AoW with Tank (Sword/Board)
    6. Kill adds with the rest of the crew with maximum DPS
    7. Wipe in different stages of part II
    a) due to OOM
    b) due to massive spike peaks
    c) due to too many adds and too little DPS

Worked perfectly 6 months ago.
    Something must have changed meanwhile.
  18. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Very weird I guess.

I've done this mission almost weekly probably for the last 7-8 months and I haven't noticed any difference. I've carried 110s through by having them bail out when the Avatar does his AE rage. I've had the optimal high DPS group do it and we are done in 10 minutes. I've done it with a merc healer and I do shaman DPS, all various scenarios and it seems about the same to me.

If you have a twitch or something post the video link and have people critique if you're comfortable. I'm not sure what else I can say to help.
  19. Funky Augur

i've never seen him port up quite that early but i do find it super annoying that if he ports up with even 1 add, one of my boxes always gets summoned and stomped before i can even run up top
  20. NeverPayForLag Augur

OK, then I know what the problem is: DPS.
    I always read here that DPS is not important but reading 10min is clearly DPS. If you guys here kill the adds fast enough which is in my case an endless task (axes are fast down but the restless giants take forever) then this must be the key (like always). I found a video on youtube where the guys slip through it like butter but they are killing the adds so fast that they have enough time and firepower for the second part. Sad that everything always is based around that - the same like in Velks. Velks is only possible through burning through the event from the start - else I wipe everytime.