Quest Text or Skip

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Pawtato Augur

Speaking from the heart here, I’ve only ever read the epic quest lines. I just skip through everything else. It seems pointless to read it, since the world doesn’t change. EQ doesn’t seem like it has good world building.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

You're missing out on an awful lot of interesting lore if you never read anything. However, that's the beauty of EQ; everyone can choose to do or not do millions of different things.
  3. Pawtato Augur

Ok go ahead and give me something you find interesting? I’ll read the crap out of some Elder Scrolls, Monster Hunter, or Divinity Original Sin 1/2, but EQ seems like F tier.
  4. Buster_Shruggs Augur

The first "notes" I found interesting were some journals(?) from a gnome expedition into Cazic Thule...I don't remember exactly, but it fit into the ominous atmosphere I felt anytime I ventured into the deeper recesses of CT.
    I have also really enjoyed the DoDH lore, Mayong's manipulation and subsequent rise to power, warring werewolf clans, the drachnid invading and Draygun's decent into madness/necromancy via Mayong delivering a cursed tome into his hands!!! :eek:
    The Bloodmoon orcs, exiled orc clan that rose to power via lycanthropy!!!
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I read it, if im soloing, and others are not waiting for me, unless im trying to win a "time-challenge" achievement. (I might scroll up afterwards though, but it is hard to match the correct dialogue with scripted events from 20 mins ago...:( )
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Did you know how fully functional the Akhevan language is? Examples:

Akuel = Gift
    Ans = The
    Diabo = Master
    Dyek - Earth
    Dyn = Rock / Stone
    Fiel = Light
    Ishinaear = Luclin (Goddess)
    Itraer = Greater
    Kaas - Black
    Kel = A
    Tavuel = Tortured
    Temariel = Knowledge
    Tetoracu = Twilight
    Tekar = Mortal Death (Compared to the immortal death that the Akhevans experience.)
    Thall = Sacred
    Thox - Blood
    Tian = Day
    Va = Dark / Shadow
    Vereor = Terror
    Vex = Heart
    Vius = Darkness
    Wito = Eye
    Xakra = Spirit
    Xakreum = Spirits
    Xauninae = Luclin (Moon)
    Xi = Of
    Xin - Shadows
    Xiall = Justice
    Xundrau = Weapon
    Xundraux = Weapons

Temariel Vex = Heart of Knowledge
    Vex Xi Vius = The Heart of Darkness
    Akuel xi ans Vius = Gift Of The Dark
    Ans Xundrau xi Tekar = The Weapon Of Mortal Death
    Kel Xundrau xi Tekar = A weapon Of Mortal Death
    Kel Xundrau xi Xauninae = A Weapon Of Luclin
    Wito Xi Tetoracu = Eye Of Twilight
    Collar of Tavuel Xakreum = Collar of Tortured Spirits
    Vereor Mask = Mask of Terror
    Itraer Insignia = Symbol Of The Shadow
    Ishinaear Xiall = Luclin's Justice
    Ans Fiel`Tian = The Light Of Day

In addition, the Akhevan social structure in Vex Thal (via Dzarn):

Vex Thal is divided into 5 primary sections. There is a council of 4 that hold rule over their own section, and 1 prophet of Luclin that oversees all including a section of the city designated solely to the prophet.

In the council of 4, 2 are designated as High council members and 2 are designated as Intermediaries.

Intermediaries
    Warlord - Diabo Xin Dabo
    The warlord rules over the Xin Dabo (Craftsmen of War).
    Once every year they may be challenged to a battle of might.
    The challenge is to the death and the victor receives the rank.
    The warlord serves the king

Lorekeeper - Diabo Va Dabo
    The lorekeeper rules over the Va Dabo (Craftsmen of Shadow).
    Once every year he may be challenged to a battle of magical energy.
    The victor receives the rank.
    The lorekeeper serves the High Priest

High Council
    The King - Diabo Rentha
    The king rules over the Rentha (The city).
    The king is a high council member and the position lasts until he is removed by the prophet.
    The king may call upon the Va Dabo for his needs.

The High Priest - Diabo Xin Thall
    The high priest rules over the Xin thall (Sacred warriors).
    The high priest is a high council member and the position lasts until he is removed from position by the prophet.
    The Diabo Xin thall may call upon the Va dabo for their needs.

The Prophet - Aten Ha Ra
    The prophet rarely even appears before any other Akheva.
    The prophet's word is the word of Luclin.
    The prophet lies sealed away within the heart of Luclin. (The tower in the center of the 4 sections.)”

The Akhevan Social Structure (of Akheva City)
    Centien (City Guard): Centien warriors are the primary guardsmen and peacekeeper of the city proper. They are under the authority of the king.

Kela Rentha (Commoner/servant): These are the commoners of the city area who perform the many day to day activities.

Akheva Guardians
    Torgarath (Soldier): These Akhevans are among the largest and strongest of the Akheva. They are charged with defending the city during war and serve as Guards during peacetime. They are under the authority of the warlord.

Kela Xin Dabo (Commoner/servant): Servants of the guardians, they form the force in the guardian section that performs important duties for the soldiers. Such as armor repairs, brewing, porting baggage, and scrubbing the Torgaraths feet when they are sweaty.

Akheva Lorekeeper
    Senshali (Special forces): Senshali Warriors specialize in stealth. They are the special operation forces of the Akheva. They are under the influence of the loremaster.

Kela Va Dabo (Commoner/servant): These are the caretakers of the lore. They perform the menial duties of keeping the books in order, the ink wells full, etc.

Akheva Priest
    Liako (Holy Knight): Liako Warriors are Akheva pumped full of divine and dark magic to create the imperial force of the city. They are under the authority of Aten Ha`Ra.

Kela Xin Thall (Commoner/servant): Technically servents of the priests. They are treated with the highest respect and are initiates of the order of shadows.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

The lore section of the prior forum incarnation sure had a lot of stuff to sift through.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  8. Pawtato Augur

Thanks for the posts, but looks like you proved its best to skip the lore nowadays.
  9. Cydonia Elder

I don’t think I’ve ever took the time to read the Lore on anything I’ve ever done in this game.
    Pawtato likes this.
  10. Zamiam Augur

I just had to reply here .. Either you have a fantastic memory or you spent some time searching for these lore facts in Akheva somewhere .. either way is a very interesting post .. something I never knew .. I usually do not read the scripts either.. I might start to though .
    Nennius and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  11. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I don't read quest dialogs but I do enjoy reading EQ lore as a past time. I believe the best source of it is actually the EverQuest D&D manuals -- but I'd be happy to find a good consolidated source online.
  12. Coagagin Guild house cat

You challenged the board to find something they found interesting and shockingly people replied they did indeed find much of the lore, though sparse at times, to be interesting and adding to the game. Now, your upset with them for enjoying the lore more than yourself?

You posed a question and others disagreed. Get over it and yourself.

- Coag
    Celephane and Nennius like this.
  13. Pawtato Augur

I’m confused about your post.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Let me help you out.....

You asked: "Ok go ahead and give me something you find interesting?"

People did that. And then you pooh-poohed it, with this: "Thanks for the posts, but looks like you proved its best to skip the lore nowadays."

You asked what people found interesting, and then didn't like that YOU didn't find it interesting.

Seems like a strange way to approach things.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Same here. I have enjoyed lore conversations here on the boards, but when I'm in game, which is a lot less than I'd like, I'm not gonna spend it reading a wall of quest text.

Also, for the poster above who mentioned about going back over his logs to see the quest text, if you go to ZAM and look up the quest, most of the time, all of the quest text appears on that page.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Pawtato Augur

Yep 100% poo-poo those things, but thanked the couple examples provided. Made me reflect that I don’t find EQ immersive or interesting outside of social gameplay.

Odd, people get upset so quickly.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Feels like so many of your posts and threads are very anti-EQ. You do not like this, you do not like that, you think this sucks, etc. When people have a different opinion, you dismiss it because it does not fit your narrative.

It is OK to like the game, just like it is OK to not like it. Maybe EQ is not for you. Hopefully a different game will meet your expectations. But we all get it- you think most everything about this game is terrible. Then just leave and take your negativity with you, and let the rest of us who do enjoy a good amount of the game enjoy it in peace without the constant criticisms...
    Pawtato, Duder, Tatanka and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

The lore can be interesting, and can explain some things that otherwise make no sense.

Signet of Ralaifin (best guess at spelling) drops in doomfire chest after defeating General Reparm.
    Apparently it was a gift which is why the general has it.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If I have time to read the text I do, most times these days we don't as the rest of the group wants to move on quickly.

The highlighted clickable blue text has made it to easy to not read why the quest giver needs something done. I prefered it before we had the clicky blue text.

TDS was the worse expansion for walls of text, they really need to not do that.
  20. Celephane Augur

The smartest EQ lore guy I ever ran into was Tobynn, sadly he died in Feb...miss that guy a ton
    RPoo and Bigstomp like this.