Why the Necro nerf???

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Master Kahleem, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Kobra Augur

Dot consolidation isn't needed in classic era EQ.

Are you running out of debuff slots? No so its not needed.

Stack your dots and you will do fine.

Is every TLP necro such a bad player they can't handle a single spell bar of dots? You don't need to stack 20+ dots until House of Thule expansion. Why do you want to dumb down the class when its not needed?

I am convinced that the people who want the dot consolidation are just bad at the class and mad they got outparsed by a paladin.
  2. Zansobar Augur

Necros desperately need a dps increase, even in Classic. They also need an increase in dpm as other casters have been buffed in that area. It's not about dot consolidation as the dot revamp completely changed dots for many classes making them more dps and dpm than the stacked dots would have been before. Necros have not been touched under level 70 yet except indirectly through the dot they share with Shaman.
  3. Dyzalot Augur

You sure they need a boost in classic? I've seen comments both here in the forums and in game claiming that Necros are one of the top 3 DPS classes during classic. Is that not true?
  4. Zansobar Augur

People routinely confuse DPS (damage per second) with total damage. A necro will not be out dpsing mages or wizards or probably not even shaman who have updated dots, when the fight is short (most fights). When it's long a necro might do more overall damage in some fights depending on resists.
  5. Dyzalot Augur

What about when they charm? Aren't they basically equal to an Enchanter at that point?
  6. Zansobar Augur

Yes they would be (for undead) but so are druids when they charm animals.
  7. Dyzalot Augur

Sure but I don't see druids charming for group content in classic much. I do see Necros charming in Lguk and The Hole though. I haven't played one past like level 20 so just going mostly on what others say but if I'm looking for a dps rep, Necro's are typically the first class I grab unless we don't have an enchanter. And I'll take a Necro instead of an enchanter if none are to be had since they can provide excellent dps and fulfill a CC role.
  8. Kiaro Augur

Too bad there are no charmable animals in the planes....Undead however ;)
  9. Dyzalot Augur

Not entirely true. Pretty sure Druids can charm the frogs in Fear? At least I thought they could.
    Skewert likes this.
  10. Ronluwen Elder

This is ridiculous. Necro's are a top tier dps in classic and kunark. If you aren't topping the parse in at least half the boss fights in classic in a normal 70 man raid you are doing something wrong.
  11. Ronluwen Elder

Their cc doesn't touch a chanter. But their dps in any undead zone is by far top dps in the game through kunark.
  12. Ronluwen Elder

I'm also fairly certain that vots is the highest DPM spell in classic by a large margin. And that e-bolt is up there.

No shaman is outparsing a necro on a regular basis. Maybe a fluke fight or two, but not regularly. It's ridiculous to even state that. In classic Wizards should beat a necro on naggy and it should be close on vox. No other fights should a wizard really beat a necro. Mage's shouldn't beat either one of those two.

Grouping is situational. In most situations a necro is going to be better sustained dps over a wizard, possibly a mage. If it's undead a necro is top dps by a long shot. So in classic, that's undead hole and anywhere on dead side of guk. I have hours long parses of my necro being miles ahead in damage over anyone else in the group at undead in the hole. I have hours long parses in hate with two groups of my necro being miles ahead of any other dps.

Kunark is so much undead that a necro should be top group dps through the majority of that expansion. It's not until velious that you see them drop a bit.
  13. Kiaro Augur

The frogloks, which are undead? (Maybe the basilisks, IDK since those are new)
  14. Zansobar Augur

Have you looked at the DPM of wizard dd spells recently?
  15. Ronluwen Elder

Well yeah. I do believe some of the rains come close. Assuming you can rain. But on a single target VotS is still likely the highest DPM at something stupid like 6.2. Maybe a rain overtakes it if you're tanking two mobs at a time and get the extra damage tick. It's probably still close.

Necro's also have double the mana regen of wizards on them at all times. Wizards have to hope a chanter is in the group. Necro's have a pet that is constant dps, whether charm or not. necro's can load all of their dots onto a target, sick their pet, then fd to lose aggro and sit and med.

Are you actually arguing that wizards are in a better spot in classic than necro's? Cause that's just crazy. Raiding, grouping, soloing, necro's are stronger in every facet over wizards and I don't think it's even close.
  16. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

The problem for Necros on TLP comes in the group game. Because of all the buffs other players have received stuff dies so fast you dont have time to cast 3-4 dots on most things. This is fine in Classic-SoL because Necros share a poison line with Shamans that got revamped. But PoP, LDoN, GoD all the 70 expansions completely blow for Necros, If there isn't undead to charm you're completely worthless. Necros really need a revamp to Horror and Heat blood line to be useful in these expansions.
  17. Dyzalot Augur

Ah yes, you are correct. It is the basilisks.