At what point will long queues become untenable?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tsar, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Tsar Journeyman

I have been playing EQ for neigh on 2 decades, just like many of you. Some of that time on live, some on P99, and some on TLPs. I have complained about this nerf, or that busted patch, or the other way-too-long server downtime, but I have always considered threats to "cancel my EQ sub forever!" to be hyperbolic and ridiculous. The queue times 3 weeks into Aradune's launch however are beginning to strain my commitment to that position, and I am surely not the only one.

I have been willing to give DPG the benefit of the doubt. A global pandemic and high unemployment keeping people inside, Brad's memorial server driving interest even more than usual, and the decided lack of interest in Aradune's accompanying hella-box ruleset server have combined to greatly overwhelm their planned setup. Also, I know how companies work, give it a week of doing nothing to see if things fix themselves, another week and a half to decide on an acceptable fix, another week to decide how to implement it, and maybe one more to fine tune things.

My question, to serious adults and not the "DPG sucks at everything and I lit my computer on fire in protest I swear" crowd, is at what point do you honestly believe you will reach your breaking point. We have all endured queue times, instability and broken promises before, but Aradune cannot continue to have these types of outrageous queue times forever. Another 2 weeks? A Month?

I don't want to quit in protest, I want to play Everquest, lots of it. At some point though.... patience is not inexhaustible is my point. When do you expect yours to run out, and why?
    Shibbyrhcp likes this.
  2. Tsar Journeyman

Maybe you should start your own thread about DPG russian bot conspiracy theories then and not immediately attempt to derail mine with entirely unrelated nonsense.
    Familycat likes this.
  3. Phalron New Member

My breaking point was yesterday. After coming back to the game after nearly 20 years away and enjoying the time I was actually able to play on Aradune, regardless of long zone times and chat lag, the queue has made it actually impossible to play outside of 630am on a weekend.

I was hoping the downtime yesterday would have made it better. The half- post saying "we did some of the things we said we would", but actually stating ZERO of what they did implement, and the 45 min average queue time I logged into that was really 2 hours. Yeah, literally cannot play. Not to mention all the people running scripts who, when they get back into Aradune will only make the queue times worse, will hold the queue up even longer.

So yesterday I cancelled and unless something is done before 7/1, I'll quit EQ and never give it another thought of returning. Ironically shortly after I cancelled I got into queue, but it didn't change my thoughts on anything.

I suggest if anyone here is complaining and contemplating, just hush and do the same. They send you a survey to take after cancelling, put your grievances there. They're more likely to do something from that, where they are visibly losing income, than on poorly moderated and maintained forums. Stop being the teenager you were when EQ came out and start being the closest thing you can to an actual reasonable adult.
  4. Dyzalot Augur

Dang. My guildies let me believe that queue times were much better after the patch. Is that not the case?
  5. Velerin Journeyman

I’m in same boat OP. I’ve played 20 years on and off, every TLP, etc. I enjoy new servers and get sucked in every time. This one just might be the last.

The thing I’ve found with EQ is if I log in everyday I get hooked and keep logging in (usually for months on end). Just a week or so of not logging in and I find myself putting it down easy.
    Pawtato and Wesleypipes77 like this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

It was untenable weeks ago.
  7. Azzudien Augur

I have reached the point also. I have 17 years of veteran rewards on my account and an original date of November 99. I played on almost every progression server as that first 6 months of a new server is such a rush to play when so many people are playing and crammed into a small world.
    My subscription runs out July 10th so I still have some time to make that final decision, but what really made it difficult to continue is yesterdays patch. Once again they made it worse not better for queues, and I will make it worse right now by letting you in on what they broke.

I got in last night and played for a few hours and then hit camp, walked away from computer. This morning 9 hours later I walked into the room with my computer and what do I see? My character is still on the character select screen. I camped last night but forgot to log all the way out. Normally you would time out and disconnect after about 30-40 minutes. So whatever they fixed in yesterdays patch just gave everyone the ability to afk on character select screen for however long you want apparently.

It just feels there is zero effort even in trying to improve Aradune which is sad.
  8. Zansobar Augur

Queue times are about 25% better after the patch. But for those that don't work from home it probably won't matter until the queues are under an hour.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  9. JustDarryl Journeyman

Allow me to weigh-in on this one, the queue times are a breeze if you find something else to do while you wait. May I suggest a good book on tape.

But what do I know, I'm just Darryl.
  10. nagash101 Augur

so silly, you really don't believe that is true, do you?
  11. feigntrain Elder

Their solution is: do nothing. It will eventually work itself out. The people who get sick of the queue times will stop playing there and the people who stick it out will eventually have no queue when everyone else leaves.
  12. Tsar Journeyman

I am not even sure that's true, since now people have found every way imaginable to never actually log off. Right now there is a 120 min queue at 2:30 pm pst, and we know that all queue time will be longer than advertised. I of course do not plan to play today, I was checking queue time before I head in to work, but a 2-3 hour queue starting at 2:30 pm on a Thursday is completely unacceptable. No game, no matter how beloved can endure that indefinitely.
  13. Tsar Journeyman

Also, people have been saying stuff like this since day 1 of the server. The population seems pretty resistant to this so far.
  14. Pawtato Augur

So true, after a couple days I start wondering what did I even find fun about this game.
  15. Relentless Insomnia

16. feigntrain Elder

It was true then and it's true now. The server is not even a month old yet. The server population won't stay like this forever. None of them do. It's not a matter of "if", but "when".
  17. Seraphis New Member

The new server experience has already ended. The level 1-10 experience is solo or manage to get some attention from the 40+ power leveling the lower level toons. I went to befallen today to try and get something going and there are more 40+ than there were lowbies. Those that were around were getting power leveled. Nek forest orc camps, an entire group power leveling two characters. Commonlands is the same thing. I had to resort to solo and heading to the tunnel for buffs to try and get some xp.

I play these for the social experience. I love being able to get a group in every zone and not having to run/pay for a port to CB of BB in the low levels just to get beyond lvl 10. Sadly that's gone or at least in my experience the last two days.
  18. Redgnome1 Lorekeeper

Manbabies are quitting in droves but the real problem is people who keep their chars in game or on char select with clickers.
  19. chooseareality New Member

Pretty much till end of month when I decide if I want to cancel the one month sub. If it isn't fixed by then I'm out.
  20. Nasst New Member

I have been paying for 2 accounts, since I sometimes use my second comp to box. I will for sure not be renewing my sub on the box account for the foreseeable future, and if things do not improve to literally zero queue time at primetime PST 7 days a week by the end of month 2 I will be canceling the main account too. If this is not well in hand by then, there is no hope that the Kunark launch will be anything but a return to obscene queues.