NPCs in Classic through Luclin will inflict 20% less damage while charmed

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Jun 17, 2020.

1. taliefer Augur

ive literally died more times to server crashes than charm breaks. i'll grant you once im done leveling i shelve the chanter, but who the hell actually dies to charm breaks on any kind of consistent basis?
  2. Aneuren Tempered Steel

But also in fairness, you and I are both extremely hardcore players compared to a vast portion of this population. And I say this with utter respect for you, given the roles that we both shared in the past. We are both the players that know to be slamming the login button before the server shows as being up. We know the tricks. I would only beg that you consider that our experiences, although somewhat more widely shared given the repetitive nature of these TLPs, is not a substitute for the entire community.

We are both surrounded by extreme game play. I would be imminently in favor of returning the survivability levels to what they once were, but to me this is the wrong nerf for the wrong problem, implemented as a knee-jerk reaction to players that can't even identify the actual issue.

Charm DPS is a function of the environment, not the player. It makes no sense to do a 20% reduction across the board, when the power of a charm pet is innately variable. At this point, Enchanters would be far less crippled by being given a much more powerful animation - but that would be such a wild deviation from the class, that I would consider it an imminent loss to the game were we to go down that path.
  3. Gnothappening Augur

Something seems off on your numbers. The two dots you listed (using the min and max values listed on lucy) would do between 1326 and 2570 damage in a minute. Even at the highest point listed on lucy that would still mean your pet did 2080 damage. I find it hard to believe that the level 43 pet did 2080 damage in a minute to a mob that is 8+ levels higher than it is. Also, clarity is, per lucy, 10 mana per tick or 100 mana per minute. Medding is, I believe, 20 mana per tick at level 50. If someone has the exact number please correct me. You have cast time on spells that you would get clarity for but not medding. Not counting cast time I am coming up with about 300 mana a minute. The two spells you listed are 421 mana and would need to be cast every minute. Specialization knocks off something like 5-10%, but even that wouldn't make it mana neutral. Lich might be mana neutral, but not clarity.

Finally, you have the charm pets tanking for you or the SK? I personally would have the charm pet so that complete heal is being used to maximum efficiency but maybe you aren't. If the sk is tanking, nothing changes, but if the charm pet is tanking, then swapping to the SK would take a higher dent on the healer mana.
  4. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Never said it was high risk. But charming strong mobs definitely has some risk too it. The risk is largely based on what your doing though.

Charm duoing Royals in Chardok break is like a 99% chance of death
    Charm duoing in Velks with a spider pet, even with debuffs on the spider it will still resist color stuns often enough that you'll get 2 resists in a row and just die.
    Even Charming a Dar in Lguk has some risk. Cleric LoM or a big pull and charm breaks. First hit root into a resisted colorstun/short mez.
    But i'm guess your the type that charms a Wan gives it an Aug instead of Celerity and then is like "charm has no risk"
    Aneuren likes this.
  5. nagash101 Augur

This was the best change in the history of EQ. Keep the Queues and the lag, lets get that bigole nerf hammer out until every class is as bad as the Rogue and Paladin.

LONG LIVE THE MIGHT NERF HAMMER OF EVERQUEST.
  6. brickz Augur

Even in the scenarios you described the "risk" is near nonexistent because you just bind yourself and your cleric box outside and go res yourself if something goes wrong. The only thing you're risking is 20 minutes of time ressing and medding. You're never going to lose your corpse with all its gear in the bowels of an uncharted dungeon. Plus you're talking about duoing content that would otherwise support a whole group
  7. Sikkun Augur

Nerf bind and rez! Let’s do it guys!
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

You're forgetting Conc pots 34 mana per tick with C and 45 sitting with Lich. Maybe it's slightly under mana neutral by literally a tick and it just felt mana neutral because there is almost always some extra tick. Definitely less of a factor then charm breaks though. I know i combined a bunch that whole grind session when i did it like a week ago and i beat the charm pets over the duration of it, despite not having the power spike you get from 48 as a necro.

You're also forgetting dots proc banestrike and dots often get an extra tick in. I don't wanna dig through my logs and look for that exact fight again... but i remember the pet did more then the SK i think it was like 1700 or something like that. But a "free" dot tick and banestrike is around 500 dmg

Sk was doing most of the tanking on golems because the charm pet was losing agro to dots.
  9. Ishbu Augur

Lets just be honest, by far and away most people playing enchanter on this server are bad at the class. Thats not saying everyone is, there are plenty of good enchanters out there, but most are truly bad.

Just think of the pick up groups youve had. Enchanters who just never mez adds, even when they are beating on the cleric. Enchanters who pseudo brag in group chat about how they are going to "risk hasting their pet and oh god they are going to die LOL ROFLZ!"

Always haste your pet. Do you mean you didnt have it on the whole time? You are a crappy enchanter. You wont die in one round, thats a 20 year old thing. If you truly believe there is high risk to this, you are a bad enchanter, period, and the good ones know this.

The good ones also dont have to forum brag about how good they are, so you can stop those replies you are typing to this right now.
    Thalliius likes this.
  10. Malachi Augur

I agree except when you are solo. Then the risk is not high....but at least moderate whilst maintaining the high reward (potentially highest since the loot is all yours).
  11. feigntrain Elder

So you agree with me. I accept your apology.
  12. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

EZ add to the ignore list
  13. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

So basically what this thread has boiled down to is some people think playing an enchanter is challenging and others don’t think it is?
  14. Aneuren Tempered Steel

And welcome to why calling for nerfs should have a zero tolerance policy on these forums.
  15. Password1234 Augur

No, they are disagreeing about level of risk, which is not the same thing as difficulty.
  16. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

This seems like splitting hairs but okay.
  17. Sacktap New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is the dumbest thread I have ever read. Keep it up boys, Chanta #1 !
  18. Password1234 Augur

Walking into traffic is risky but easy enough that a toddler can do it. Risk and difficulty are different things.
  19. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

We'll need to re-tune this to 40% less damage and 50% less HP on the charmed mob as well.
    Thalliius likes this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Welcome to ignore.