Bugged spawn times

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strath Dizzle, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Strath Dizzle New Member

Down in Lguk spawn times are well over 40m, what gives? Also have had a few mobs that are completely un-targettable and invisible. They can hit me, but no dmg comes through in text boxes but my life is reduced.

DPG, cmon.
  2. error Augur

How many people are in the zone? I've noticed across multiple camps that respawn times seem to go up considerably as the zone population goes up. Squire for the RBF for example was a consistent 16 minute respawn with <20 people in the zone, gradually increased up to 28 minutes with 70 people in the zone.

Kind of doubt this is an intended mechanic, respawn "ticks" probably just start getting throttled somehow as the zone gets overburdened. Try killing stuff in Commonlands main pick and you can see more extreme effects on the zone like rubberbanding and such.
  3. HxCxDxAxD New Member

Main pick has been more than the spawned instances as far as spawn timers go. noticed that in both upper and lower guk. maybe they tried to fix that and messed things up.
  4. Prathun Developer

The zone's performance will affect respawn rates. Under heavy load, things will spawn more slowly than what's specified in data. Conversely, under light load, things can spawn more quickly than what's specified in data.
  5. Tierdal Augur

uh what?!?!?! spawns in lguk have been the exact same time for 20 years...you are telling me you guys changed something to make them spawn slower if the zone is crowded ?? And that frogs are now spawning 40+minutes??????
  6. Name2 Augur

It sounds more like respawn time is tied to server ticks. The number of ticks the server would be able to do in 28 minutes normally are taking 40 minutes on this server.
  7. Prathun Developer

This is not new. I'll double check with our coders to be sure, but I believe this has always been true. It is just very pronounced.
    Whoops likes this.
  8. Tierdal Augur

I played on Sleeper before /pickzones...with a 100 people fighting over frogs. I have legit never seen any frog take longer to spawn than the whatever 20-24 minutes (i forget).

I've never seen a frog take 40 minutes to spawn, that would make Lguk worthless.
  9. nagash101 Augur

Jesus, that's terrible. Even more reason for a 2nd or 3rd Aradune server.
  10. Whoops Augur

I remember this being a thing on Phinny. Not 40+ minutes, but definitely +/- 2 minutes or so compared to expected timers. I remember specifically checking timestamps when getting to a new camp and getting respawns, and saying things like spawns are 26.5 minutes. ...and having that timer be off later on if the zone got super busy.
  11. Xeris Augur

I like how you guys are using random anecdotal evidence from servers and experiences 10-20 years ago to tell someone who actually works on the game and knows the codebase how something should work.
  12. Tierdal Augur

If neil degrasse tyson told you the world was flat - would that make it true?
  13. Whoops Augur

My memories match Prathun's statement, but I *really* don't want to dig up old logs to prove it. They're not even on this machine.
  14. Tierdal Augur

You have memories of froglocks in guk taking 40 minutes to spawn? I have news for you, someone was pulling from your camp dog.
  15. Cohhfarmage Journeyman

They're trying to spread people out. The more people crammed in to a zone causes extreme server lag. Time to move to other zones than doing the usual treadmill grind.
  16. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Lower Guks zones normal spawn time is longer then that It's like 26:30 and with the lag the i've seen spawns as late as 31 mins. It's been a little worse on Aradune, but i've seen this happen of every TLP
  17. Whoops Augur

No, not 40 minutes. I said not 40 minutes. I have memories of spawns having variable timers, and those timers varying based on the zone's load. I remember timing them individually for the first handful of mobs and respawns killed when camping somewhere, and I remember them gaining a fair bit of variance when there were a lot more, or a lot fewer, people in the zone later.

Also, he said the zone's performance. Considering Aradune's overall performance, what load a given zone on Aradune needs to reach to notice a performance (and thus spawn time) impact is likely quite different than what a zone on Phinny needed.
  18. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

I messaged prathun asking for a confirmation on this prior to Aradune launch and was given the same response.

Prior to mangler launch, there was a dev who posted in one of the threads (through much effort I cannot find it) that it was something added prior to mangler launch when they were doing an overhaul of zems to try and spread people out. Delayed respawn times or faster respawn times was NEVER the case prior to any server before Mangler. This is why on mangler we saw raid mobs, like trakanon in the first week of kunark launch, taking 48+ hours after its end of window to respawn.

The only numbers that the dev gave, was that with 0 people in the zone, mobs respawn time can be decreased by up to 10%, then start to increase in spawn time as players enter the zone. From all the testing myself and a few others have done, you can effectively increase the spawn time of a mob by roughly 300% given enough traffic in a zone. You can even test this 10% on raid mobs in zones that no one ever goes to. A raid mob that starts its window 24 hours after death in zones no one ever enters, will actually enter its window 10% faster, but never earlier than 10%.
    Mithra likes this.