Returning EQ1 player from 2002, ready to try EQ live with a few questions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Arcaedis, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Arcaedis New Member

Been doing a lot of reading on EQ live the past couple weeks since my WoW guild pretty much collapsed (the game is just not in a good place right now). I do have some questions and have searched through the forums and read a lot of useful information. Hopefully some of you can help a lost old EQ player out. Last time I played was I think LDoN on my Warrior, and I do remember how much fun we had after school, and my mom yelling at me to get off the internet so she could call my aunt lol. I really want to give EQ live a serious try, and there is something alluring about starting on a fresh slate. I do have some questions, however.

1. I really want to play a Berserker. I have always played the warrior archetype, and Berserker seems really cool to me. Would this class be okay for someone starting out on live? I figured I would play DPS as to not ruin other group members experience, for example pulling horribly, not being mana efficient with heals, etc.

2. Is the leveling process pretty much a solo experience now? I don't mind that, but I also have never boxed before, would this be required to have a decent experience?

3. As for a server to roll on, it would be nice to be a part of a guild to have experienced players to bounce questions off of or just have other people around to play with. Do guilds still recruit these types of players? I would eventually love to raid. I do come from a somewhat hardcore WoW raiding background for the last 10 years or so, and I do love the raiding environment.

4. Lastly, are there any required UI addons? Or has DayBreak actually changed the UI enough over the past 18 years to add some quality of life?

Thanks in advance, excited to start this new journey.
  2. HotDiggity New Member

2002! The game has most certainly changed a lot.
    1) Start with whatever class you want! It'll begin with a tutorial now to walk you through the various UI & functional stuff (armor, hiring a merc, using maps, hotbars, etc)
    2) You can easily molo (solo with a hired mercenary) or you can do the usual LFG and try to find groups
    3) Guilds most certainly do recruit newer and returning players. One of the bigger raiding guilds on our server also has open raids a couple nights a week so those in non-raiding guilds can join in on raids; I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case on other servers too
    4) I recommend downloading the maps from http://www.eqmaps.info/eq-map-files/ (instructions on site)

I started playing in early 2001 and the game is quite different now, many improvements! A lot of folks don't love the improvements and prefer to play on P99, so look that up if you hate the new experience and want the old one.
    Arcaedis likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think a Berserker would suit you very well.

Do the tutorial like Hot says. Then head to POK and do the rest of the tutorial from Secalna Galnor called "Out of Gloomingdeep" https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5787

Those two tutorials will also gear you up for a few levels, give you a free merc and get some other goodies, like a bag or two.

Between you and your merc you can molo up very easily. As a zerker you might want to go with a healer merc.

I would also suggest the second biggest map maker Goods Maps. I and most of the population use both maps but I prefer Goods.
    Maps (Goodurden)
    Arcaedis likes this.
  4. Arcaedis New Member

Thank both of you guys so much, will be rolling tonight just to see where I end up. Thank you so much!
  5. code-zero Augur

There's a caveat there, Journeyman mercs are a great deal better than apprentice mercs and if you're on a free account the highest level merc you can run is an apprentice II. Starting out the tank merc is best for a while as the healer can go OOM on you but you can't do the really fast trick of pulling 3 or 4 red mobs at a time and letting the merc handle it for you.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Arcaedis New Member

What server do you play on?
  7. HotDiggity New Member

I'm on Bristlebane - The Tribunal