The Gnoll Slayer

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RandomStrategy, Jun 17, 2020.

1. RandomStrategy Augur

In lieu of posting another thread about queues and everything else wrong with Aradune, I submit this:

Bring Gnoll Slayer back to Classic as a quest.

Okay, so let me go from the beginning on what I know, and why it should be restored to classic.

1) The first half of the Gnoll Slayer quest (Lord Elgnub, Baby Joseph Sayer) was originally in Classic. That allowed you to get the first Gnoll Slayer which was a 6/28 1hs with +5 Gnoll Bane damage. Not insanely OP, but a solid weapon if you're lucky enough to get it to maybe guide you to slaying gnolls in Splitpaw once you got high enough level. Experience different zones instead of the standard Guk line.

2) The bane damage only works on Classic Gnoll models. How do I know this? On Ragefire, before the "new gnoll models" in Highpass Hold were reverted to the original, Gnoll Slayer did not work with the bane damage on them. This means that it's completely useless after a certain point when the models change. Moreover, it relegates it to a very niche item of someone who's leveling up in PoP when it is almost never going to actually be used, as someone is more likely to power level a character instead of get this item.

3) Splitpaw completely changes in Planes of Power. No longer are there gnolls, it's all elementals. Yes, the gnolls are kicked to South Karana, but it seems more fun to kill them in Splitpaw.

4) The first iteration of Gnoll Slayer you receive is 6/28 with +5 bane vs gnolls. It makes it a very good weapon, but only versus gnolls.

The full version is 15/40, on par with an item like Ghoulbane, but requires a level 35 kill (and a level 30ish Enchanter Gnoll, which is a pain in the butt if you don't resist the charm/mezzes of it, but also quite funny). With an upgrade on the bane damage of +10, that makes it 25/40 versus gnolls, extremely great, but very niche in it's awesomeness.

In conclusion, I think you should reinstate Gnoll Slayer back to Classic, because it is only going to be utilized in Classic.

Edit: One last thing, the full version of Gnoll Slayer gives you two (2) charges of Companion Spirit. Who doesn't want their own doggo?
    Boze likes this.
  2. Firesyde424 Journeyman

I didn't know it had been disabled. I was actually camping the named in BB for this before the patch.
  3. RandomStrategy Augur

Apparently sometime after Agnarr Classic (I was able to get it then), it was relegated to Planes of Power launch for both steps of the quest.

I had not camped Elgnub, but in Splitpaw, the One Eyed Gnoll for sure is not dropping it's eye.
  4. Boze TLP complaint factory

Well the first part is in on Aradune. Elgnub spawns, and the 6+5/28 in classic is pretty sweet. The bane damage didn't exist until (I think) the quest was updated in PoP, since bane damage wasn't even a thing until Luclin. It's a simple 6/28 weapon on P99.

Both the mobs for part 2 (a one-eyed gnoll, and the lleth...val? scribe) do spawn currently on Aradune. I've killed both a couple times and neither drops their respective quest pieces. The eye at least should be a 100% drop, so I assume it's era-locked.

Most recent dev comment I found: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...urs-no-lord-elgnub.242945/page-2#post-3571254 "The treasure tables for those items were created on March 18th, 2002. The treasure tables are restricted until Planes of Power has unlocked on the server."

Question is if this was intended to be used in Classic or not. The original quest (even on P99 where pt 2 doesn't exist) references an additional quest. I feel like allowing this in Classic would be in the spirit of the Kunark Archaeologist quests: allowing players to finish up an "unfinished" quest line.

Really I just want the pet on my Ranger so I can be a Beastlord in classic.
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

Interesting information. I didn't know bane damage was Luclin on, but as we agree, it's a very niche weapon that's neat, but only useful in Classic.
  6. Firesyde424 Journeyman

Stuff like this was more about flavor for me. Another example was the Custom Naliedin Lute. Found out on day 2 of Aradune that it had been disabled because it's a LoY quest.
  7. Fluid Augur

I recently camped this. I can't remember the server I did it on, maybe Agnarr? As mentioned, it is much easier on the early progression servers as the One Eyed Gnoll is a fixed spawn in Splitpaw so he is easy to hunt. The Elgnub was a PIA, two days of 24 hour/day camping with audio triggers to make sure I didn't miss him. You do get two charges of a low level pet, maybe a level 24 which is 11 levels lower then the level you need to use it. I already blew one charge when my character took a dirt nap.

I do oft times hit SK and track on my Rangers or Druids. If either the One Eyed Gnoll or Scribe is up, I kill them. I have a surplus of Tomes and Eyes, just can't bring myself to another Elgnub camp. Some have said Elgnub is on a 30 minute timer. Once again I do have a fair number of tracker types and hit it whenever I wander through BB. I just don't see Elgnub nearly that often.
  8. Gremin Augur

There are so many items in this game that are labelled so that they are really no good by the time they are released. I really wish they would rethink a lot of their decisions regarding tradeskill releases early game and quests such as this one.
    jeskola likes this.
  9. jeskola pheerie

This dude is right - there are several quests, tradeskills, zone releases and zone revamps that need to have their era slightly adjusted to make them relevant on TLP servers. It would be a huge boon to both current and future TLPs. I had a zone list somewhere, maybe a bug tracker thread needs to be done.
  10. Fluid Augur

It was on Mangler, screen shot of it used with a level 43 Ranger. As I said, one charge of Companion Spirit already used up, started with two. Mangler has progressed to the Gnolls getting kicked out of Splitpaw so time has passed this by. I should correct myself in that I thought Companion Spirit was level 35, but it kicks in at 34.
    [IMG]
  11. Prathun Developer

Looks like the Gnollslayer quest is classic, but the bonus damage on the weapon is not and the follow-up quest is also not. Neat. Will make a ticket to look into this further. Thanks!
    KimchiGoddess, Gremin, Imdead and 2 others like this.
  12. RandomStrategy Augur

Prathun, you're doing the Good Work.
  13. iamjignturjfnruy New Member

Thanks for really worrying about the gamebreaking issues that most of your client base is concerned with.
    Mashef and Velven like this.
  14. Firesyde424 Journeyman

Ignore the haters Prathun, we know you all work hard!
  15. Arog Augur

We are all very frustrated with the quality of service we are getting with Aradune. I am too, as I sit here in a 3 hour queue. I hoping today they would patch some issues to make Aradune more stable with a larger population or put it on a newer server that can handle 10k people.

As mad as I am about this still going on 3 weeks later I think your comments to Prathun are unwarranted. For the last few years, that I know of, he has been our champion of classic and has fixed a huge amount of classic mob spawns, drops and quest that no one else would bother to touch.

All the other developers just keep pushing out new content and don't care about the bugs from the past content. This guy, painstakingly, goes through verifies stuff is broken or that quest never implemented and either fixes them or at least removes the quest tag on items if the quest was not put in place. He has fixed more stuff than I can count.

I hope he continues his hard work as we work through all the other broken stuff with Aradune.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  16. iamjignturjfnruy New Member

Is he a part of the team? Is he in a paid position, as a dev of the game? Quit being a beta and man up to the fact that they have paid people NOT CARING about the situation that the bulk of people (yourself admittedly) are worried with.

Just give me your 15$ per acct / month and I'll send you a screen that says 180m too.
  17. Name2 Augur

He's a designer. He writes the raids and the quests or whatever. You're looking for the developers if you think the implementation is bad, or management if you think that Daybreak isn't investing enough in its infrastructure. Man up and direct your anger at the right person/group.
    KimchiGoddess and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  18. Protocol Dragon Defender

Prathun about to remove the bane damage and keep the phase 2 locked to PoP lol
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

Glad to see this being looked at.

And why no gnoll in the sk spires until later? Whack.
  20. Captain Video Augur

I'm sorry, but this post is total fail. IT personnel come in many different skill sets. The graphics person isn't going to know jack about networking, and the quest/raid designer guy isn't going to know about the character database, etc. Just because they're all part of one team doesn't mean each and every person can contribute to the networking issues at the center of what you're complaining about. In the meantime, there are other open issues besides yours, for example some people lost characters in this patch (not on Aradune) and are having to petition CS to get them back. There are other game servers in this world.

Prathun is a god. Play on a live server and you'll see him doing his thing daily in the tutorial zone.
    KimchiGoddess, Xyroff-cazic. and Arog like this.