TOV Loot - Just hit 6 month mark!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Cicelee Augur

If the goal was to outfit a third of the characters on live servers in current expansion raid gear, then congrats. I guess.

I worry about what happens in January, especially with the trend recently of "super easy expansion followed by super hard expansion" potentially happening. All those happy characters feeling all stout and buff now because of easy mode will realize they cannot produce the same results next year, could get frustrated and decide that they reached the light at their tunnel.

Unless you make next expansion similar difficulty to this one (or slightly harder but not Mearatas harder), I just think it is making a bad precedent now that is going to set you up for failure next expansion.

But I am excited to get my box bard to 115 hopefully by July 1 and then have the bard fully raid geared by July 15...
  2. Cuuthbert Augur

Look I got a main and 5 hungry mouths to feed. Alt hungry beaks are REAL!!!! GO LOOT!!!
  3. Ngreth Thergn Developer

TLP will start with the double.
    Not currently.
    I don't know if we'll go back and apply this to the past, but it is within my plans to do this for future expansions.

It is NOT an easy process to retrofit. It's much easier to do it at the time I'm making the drop tables. (Because all of the data i need is right there and not a research project. Research takes time.)

If we really think it's too much, there are things I can do like, maybe the extra loot is only half more instead of double (for most cases, the really rare stuff would still double.) We'll see after a few months of experience with the extra loot and see how people feel then instead of speculation.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I've always thought one of the ways to develop raids is to have the base raids themselves be available to many raid guilds. But the conquest raid achievements should be aimed at the more hardcore guilds and when completing those achievements each time you get additional loot.

In the event people say this is too much loot for everyone to get after 6 months, perhaps consider keeping in the double loot *If* you complete some or all of the conquest achievements each raid. So that guilds who want to get it can continue to do the 'hard mode' version of the raid to get the extra loot.
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I like the change. Very beneficial for folks attempting open raids … which is perfect for ToV.

People who complain about extra loot probably have too much already and can be ignored. Guilds can choose to delete/let rot extra items if they want. Not everything has to be looted.

The only problems I've seen so far (in our one night of raiding plus the opens on Xegony last night), is that chests get to roll sometimes a little too fast. But given the times you want chests to be open corpses due to mistakes with /advloot … I'm not sure how to change that safely.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The Master Looter should have complete control over when/if the chest/corpse becomes open (Advanced Loot stops and everyone can loot from chest).

In other words, if the Master Looter so indicates, the chest would use Advanced Loot for the entire 30 minutes (after opening) that the chest exists. Contra-wise, if the Master Looter decides to they can open up the chest for looting as soon as it is opened.

All this and more was some of what I was hoping for in the announced Advanced Loot changes that never happened. I'm aware that Darkpaw does not have the resources to do everything they want and I can understand that the Advanced Loot changes had to be canceled/postponed.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Those complaing this is too much are in top guilds, guilds who beat this content within hours of it being released, those who welcome the extra loot are in the slower guilds who never get members usually a complete set of gear.

Therefore tieing it to achievements defeats the purpose of the extra loot.
    Winnowyl, Marton and Skuz like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Currently the slots with major rot status are shoulders, hands and boots, all those slots were filled with evolving items last expansion so very few players need to upgrade these slots, these 3 slots have been at rot status for months, having 3 hands and 3 feet drop on a raid when no one needs is frustrating to say the least. Fingers and ears aren't so much of an issue as everyone needs at least 1 of each.

Might be worth limiting these 3 slots to not be doubled.

I'm not sure how I feel about the number of coins we are currently getting, 30X9 = 270 per week if all raids are beatten, 1 ore costs 276 other items cost less. We have 21 slots, every member of a 54 man raid can upgrade every slot they have well before the next expansion comes out from using coins (even if they haven't purchased a single 1 at this point). If coins increase again which I think they do, that will mean everyone will be geared up even faster. That doesn't include any ore gained from the raids.

Coins seem to be a bit excessive. If everyone is using coins to gear up the extra loot is not needed. There is nothing on the vendor other than a lore box to purchase so there will be a lot of players left at the end of the expansion with a lot of coins and nothing to spend them on. Can you consider adding Heros Forge and Spells to the raid merchant please, just so we have something we can spend our coins on. :)
  9. German Augur

I hope this helps the more casual guilds stay "in the game" next expansion instead of a Gates of Discord or TBL level shock resulting in stagnation to all but the most determined.

I cant find the link to the MMO developer at a conference/convention saying the biggest regret they had was making things too easy and not providing enough of a challenge.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Drakang Augur

Or once the mains are all geared out they stop showing and guilds have to deal with low attendance hoping all those people return and remember how to play for the next expansion. I do not mind a bit more but this amount of loot seems extremely excessive. Unless they have already decided the next expansion will be a and without full ore based gear your going to die on raids.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Getting the balance right on difficulty is super-hard, SoD was way too damn easy Underfoot was pretty brutal.

I think the key is "content-accessibility" & "difficulty through achievements".

There does need to be some really tough challenges & the achievements system is a perfect way to iterate on that by constraining parameters to make what was somewhat difficult into very difficult or even monstrously difficult (in-era at least). Locking some unique items behind that is desirable to provide impetus & reward for taking on that level of challenge & succeeding.

Similarly having access to the content be accessible by not making it too hard before the "achievement challenge" kicks in so players can see, enjoy & become accustomed to the mechanics.

All about the curve of difficulty, make it a wall that players run into too fast & all it does is frustrate & discourage, when the challenge through achievement criteria can be ramped up steadily as players become familiar with the content that's when the challenges of the achievement system take over to provide replay value.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

And that has what to do with increased loot drops?
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

Well loving the More spell drops and you can not buy spells from the Vender.
    Funky likes this.
  14. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

don't use a DKP system in open raids, if they ever fix the advanced loot bug getting everything assigned takes only a few more minutes.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Weird, post ended up on a completely different thread to the one I thought I posted it in. Was getting weird forum lag
  16. Zamiam Augur

lol that is funny .. I've almost done that I open multiple windows in chrome when im searching or looking for something on the forums and I'll start typing a response on one page and realize hey this is the wrong tab .. :p plus im old and I forget more often than I'd like to admit ..
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Ibudin Augur

This is actually a nice change for once. It certainly isn't causing people to not log in, raids are packed, alt night raids are a huge hit with those teams have benches of players not even being able to get in. I like what they have done here at this time. Summer was always the hardest to get players to log in and complete content, at least on our server. This has fixed that problem, at least for a while. Having more spells drop - big win there too. The min maxer's still win here, they most likely have chase loot maxed with the mearatas wins, which has an edge over the TOV loot in those spots. Good job DB, guess it takes away the pains of T3 being locked a month longer than it was suppose to, and all the other server issues of late.
    Metanis and Fanra like this.
  18. Ngreth Thergn Developer

shoulders are in the mix of things, so not "doubling" them is infeasible. I.E. the drop table that drops shoulders drops other things, so THOSE things you might want wouldn't be "doubled" , and removing the shoulders from the list, not only adds extra data to take up memory (because I have to create a new table instead of just rolling the existing table twice) it would more than double the remaining items, thus doing MORE than I want.

Even the boots and gloves are in a mix of armor. Those tables FOCUS on boots or gloves (different raids get different tables) but do have a chance to drop any piece of armor. By "Focus" I mean, if a balanced table is 20% boots 80% other items, then the focus table is 40% boots 60% other items. (these are made up numbers, but are a good illustration of what the tables are like)

And... the chests no longer have a limit on how many items fit in the chest. so... why does it matter if there's things you don't need? Ignore it!
    Thunderkiks, yepmetoo, Funky and 3 others like this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

When these expansions hit the TLP servers there might not be as many maxed evolving items for those slots so the increased drop rate might be more important.
    Funky and Skuz like this.
  20. Wulerdar Gnome Slayer

can you unstack ores then ?
    Skuz and Yinla like this.