Advice on managing items

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Windance Augur

Between quest items, trade skill materials, and collectible clickies there are so many things that its overwhelming.

I'm curious what tips / tricks folk have for dealing with their hoard off stuff.

What I'm most interested in is how folks/guilds deal with the shear number of collectible items.

We use the guild bank, a few 'guild' mules, and several members have multiple houses filled with items.

A possible QoL thing would be to modify the guild bank so we could easily have a TS vault and/or Collectible vault for dropping the 100's of items.
  2. Zamiam Augur

You even mention the QoL which is the name of a thread so im guessing you've read it ? why wouldn't you post this query in there instead of starting a new thread ? just curious

there is already a few threads on the matter I've linked a few below

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/guild-tradeskill-banker.263715/

might have to dig around in this link below to find it but im positive it was mentioned in here :p
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...at-would-you-want.246367/page-85#post-3868066

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...c-indicator-if-collected.262011/#post-3854583
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, that is similar to how ours is set up. I have not heard of any best way to deal with all the items other than to use the houses for storage.

I prefer setting them up alphabetically for the shiney collectables but others may do it per expansion.

Most of the seasonal quest items have a house that all can access.(ie shards, flowers, dough, painted eggs)

Then there is the Hero's Forge armor drops that have 3 houses, again alphabetical.

Spell drops have a house or two. But spell regents, like minor dreammotes etc have a different house.

I think overall, the players of EQ need to get into some sort of therapy group for hoarders!
    Gyurika Godofwar and Windance like this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

I've got something like 15 high level, geared characters at this point, so it's a bit ridiculous. But I can quickly farm stuff and keep it all because I six-box.

I have a spreadsheet for their gear, a different one for their augs.

For tradeskill items I have a handful of different ones with different item types stuffed in planar tradeskill bags.

I stopped caring about collections.

Someone else manages my trading but I can stay revenue positive pretty easily by selling the stuff I farm at really low prices. I don't need to buy gear, only buy a few of the focus items and eschew buying most the T1 spells and just buy what I need and farm the T2 spell drops. Paying to make all the visible gear is still pretty expensive.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  5. Windance Augur

Why post a new thread?

1 - I don't forum quest a lot so I have not read all 100+ pages of QoL issues.

2 - I'm interested in hearing from others how they deal with 100's to 1000's of items. Maybe I'd get lucky and someone would have a good tip.
  6. Windance Augur

There may be some truth to that.
  7. Zamiam Augur

1. QoL thread is there you wouldn't need to read 100+ pages you could of simply posted in that thread on the last page and said hey I havent read all 100 pages so not sure if this was already stated ..

but ok you didnt want to do that ..

2. the other links I posted other than the QoL thread could of been used to ask your #2 question the search I did to find said links took me 10 seconds .. you say you don't forum quest much ok but you do post quite a bit cause under your name you have a title of Augur and afaik the only way to go up in titles is for posting ?

but hey thats ok if you want to be lazy and start a thread that really was not necessary your not the only one that does it and I'm sure there are posts that ive made in the past prolly from me being lazy also :p
    I hope you get the answers you are looking for ...god speed and safe travels
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'm all for people paying as much attention to that thread as the devs....

i.e. ignore it.

I haven't read new posts to that thread in about 3-4 months. Tons of great ideas, and nothing happens.

Besides, if your reading comprehension was worth anything.... he asked several questions about the subject, and then at the end mentioned one idea he had which could go in QoL. So, even if he did what you wanted, and added his idea to that thread, this thread would still exist, because he had some questions.

Not sure why this thread existing has set you off, but lay off the guy.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

For tradeskill items, get a ton of the 32 slot TS only bags, fill up an alt. With the changes to stacking, I only use 2 mules now for TS items.

I only put uncommon items or stacks of 1000 on those. For common drops, I keep those on myself and always master loot when boxing. So I have, for example, research pages on me in order by level, to find easily. Research, smithing, tailoring, jc items, and global drops still leave a couple 40+ slot bags for other looting.

I put my bags as I replace them on 2 alts, which has given them enough room to hold collections.

I have CoTF, TDS, TBM, and specials on one.

I have EoK, RoS, TBL and RoF on a second one.

ToV are split up between me and my main boxed alts, will be moving those to the first alt soon and moving specials to the second one.

I put the collections in order of how they are in the achievement window.

So, bags in 8 slot rows, collect 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 in the order they are in the window, leave blank if I don't have any.

Was a pain in the butt to get set up, but now its easy, just auto bank most of it, and easy to find.
  10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

There are a few inventory management apps that can help. I know the EQResource team is working on/has made one. I think Fanra has one as well? I personally use Magelo and their sync app, but that requires a subscription as far as I know. Once the various TS mule alts are synced up, I can just go to the webpage and search for whatever I'm looking for and it'll tell me who has it and how many they have.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It seems you're mostly looking for a solution for a guild with multiple people, so not sure if this would help, but here's how I do it for just me:

Guild bank (guild is all just my chars) holds commonly dropped TS items (and a few which may not be TS). Every char has TS-only bags, so all TS drops get immediately sorted out. Whatever goes in the GB gets put there. Other/odd items eventually go to one of the ~13 houses I have, about 6 of which are for TS items. I have 2 houses for collectibles right now, one for defiant armor/weapons, one for spells and spell drops, one for other twink type items, can't even think what the other two are for right now :)

All my chars are in the guild, all are senior officers, all houses are set to allow full access to all senior officers of the owner's guild, so that pretty much takes care of all that.

This leaves each char's bank for quest items, and anything else which would primarily only be of interest to that char. This also has the advantage that if any char has something they need, no other char needs to be logged in to get it.

I had one QoL idea, and frankly, I may have added it to the above-mentioned thread, but at this point, who remembers for sure? Anyway, it would be nice if there was a way to add a bag's worth of items to the GB or to a house. For regular inventory/bank, we can already do this (hold a bag on cursor, ctrl-click over another bag, moves everything to that bag, with complete auto-stacking available).

PS - one other tip: I make an effort to have one char own everything in the houses, so everything can stack correctly. You can sort house contents by owner, so when I have occasion to visit a house with that char, I then sort by owner, take out and redeposit everything owned by another char.

Also, for collectibles, I don't have to remember which ones are in which house. The one house is full, so I always deposit there first. As I click on each item I want to deposit, if the deposit button lights up, I know the item will stack with something already in there. If not, it goes to the next house.

Tradeskill items are more or less separated by type of object (silks, skins, ores, etc). Odd, one-off types go wherever. Occasionally, I may get a stack of the same thing in more than one house. About twice a year I combine my /outputfile realestate reports from all the chars who own the houses, and use a few grep utils to find the dupes. Doesn't take too long.
    Wulfhere and Marton like this.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  13. Windance Augur

Just doing some rough estimates there are approximately 25 different collect achievements x 8 items each ~ 200 items per expansion x 8 expansions ~ 1600 collection items.

I have no idea how many trade skill items there are but I expect its easily 2-5x that.

A guild bank holds 200 different items
    A guild hall holds 2000 items but you want to be able to decorate it and drop teleport anchors, merchants, etc.

A character has 10 bag slots + 32 bank slots x 20 slot bags = 840 items
    A character has 10 bag slots + 32 bank slots x 32 slot bags = 1344 items

Not sure where I'm going with this ... but want to keep my post count high so there it is ;)
  14. Sokon Augur

For old augments, there is an NPC in shards landing(Huntmaster Jilal or somehting like it). This npc sells gear that can hold 4 type 7/8 augments. I currently have like 22 of them each holding 4 augments each.
    Wulfhere, minimind and Winnowyl like this.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is a good idea - it would cut wasted storage by 1/4. Gonna do this when serves back up. Thanks!
  16. Zamiam Augur

am i missing something here ? most augments afaik are no drop/trade and if those augs are in storage this means you no longer use them why not just delete them ? why keep them ..

Unless your on FV server that can trade them ..
  17. DillyBar Augur

I gave up tradeskills this week and /bar all that crap away. I felt a great weight lifted lol.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Don't know about most people, but for me, I don't have any dupes for most of the collectibles. Certainly, for one of every set, since once I get that last piece, I stop farming that set. And as I start every zone (collecting), I price out Bazaar items, and if they're cheap, I just buy 'em. So, no dupes there. And then, when an alt hits the level where there are no more auto-grants, then I come in and grab one of everything to start them off on their collections. So, that keeps the numbers down, as well.

Of course, if we're talking about a guild storing them, obviously that's a lot more which will be gathered, so YMMV.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sometimes, I trade out augs but bottom line is you never know when they will adapt old quests, zones or whatever to a newer model. I still have the Hero's Journey Book. Why? Because its no longer made.

Look at all those folks that went crazy trying to get into the Planes for the artisan quest stuff

Ya just never know. See hoarder comment a couple posts before all this:D
    Wulfhere and Yinla like this.
  20. Marton Augur

This would be helpful.
    minimind and Shanarias like this.