Why are you not just spinning up an Aradune clone?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tepin, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Trinost Journeyman

Hey genius they just merged servers so hush your $$ comment. They have servers available.

This is Aradune. Brads server. This isn't some mangler, ragefire, or some other nothing TLP. This one has history and ppl know this one will actually last bc of it. They spin a new server great I'm still not leaving Aradune. They need to fix the problem. I'd rather 3-5min zoning over 3hour queue, crash 20-30mins later, welcome to fresh 3-4hour queue. No joke this happened to me today. 6-7hrs to play for half an hour is . I am not the online person dealing with this and it needs resolved now! Sub threats aside this is unacceptable. It is as many have stated 20+yr old game and we are in classic era. There is no reason for this. Many say mangler didn't have this issue. I am unsure besides the fact that no one likes the new clone server riza so all flooding Aradune? Maybe you have a handful of ppl like 30-50 doing riza but the MAJORITY are on Aradune! Spin copy or upgrade Aradune server to something that can handle a higher population.
    Niwanif likes this.
  2. Leifer Augur

Even when P99 (a free to play - no subscription based revenue at-all game) started their new green server it was overloaded and they opened their teal clone. After both populations cooled off, they merged them back. A company business, charging for subscriptions and generating revenue, still cannot seem to find the brains or balls (or both) to do the same thing as little old P99 can do.

Btw - I don't play on Aradune.
    Jrome, Niwanif and Trinost like this.
  3. Bullsnooze Augur

Respectfully Velven, but I don't believe you actually know what CI/CD entails. I'm going to be very generous and say that you may have an elementary idea, but your statement is just off the wall.

For example: Release Pipelines have gates... In an agile environment 'Release Engineers' are typically the only ones that can release code to Production environments. And, only if the lower environments pass testing! Yes pipelines can interact with Infrastructure, but its often done with scripting languages. It's not always done 'on demand' using CI/CD.

I won't get too far into scaling, but lets just say they probably already scale. This sort of thing is typically setup first and scales out based on load metrics which will run independent of CI/CD, but CI/CD will look for instances to deploy to.
  4. Acidjunkie New Member

seriously nasty queue on this Monday afternoon already. Approaching 180 mins at 17:00 EST.

Coming from Path of Exile its a pretty steep dive in terms of customer satisfaction management, lol. Quite interesting to see the difference between the two companies :)
  5. Velven New Member

Respectfully Bullsnooze, I am fully certified in Azure Cloud and i can tell you that it's really is not that hard to build a solution that supports on demand scaling. Just an FYI all the cloud vendors AWS/Azure/Google promote scalability as one of the main reasons to move resource there.
    DBG Needs to refund everyone that plays on Aradune.
    Jrome, Niwanif and Trinost like this.
  6. Krand New Member

3 hours to log on to play a game is a joke
    Jrome likes this.
  7. code-zero Augur

Ugh, no matter if you are or you are not a developer working in any modern environment I'd hope that you'd realize that EQ's basic code is over 20 years old now with much of the original code being long gone. There is no "scaling" or "spooling up" that can be easily accomplished. Dark Paw and Daybreak before them have experience with starting new servers when one hits capacity and they realize that path is not the best course of action. Merges are an absolute nightmare and I suspect that the very changes that they've made to increase the number of active characters has made that even more difficult over time.
    Accipiter and Havanap like this.
  8. Pawtato Augur

Both of these statements are exceptionally dumb. People quit EQ very frequently that's why this game is relegated to being saved by boxers. TLPs especially lose players at a rapid pace through a combination of EQ tourists, people that think they miss the game but actually don't like it, and the TLP migration crowd.

It doesn't require a subscription to post here. People post and quit all the time, if they didn't EQ would have over a million subscriptions.
  9. Trinost Journeyman

someone in chat was bringing up the brilliant idea that "Hey, hopefully Wednesday they are going to patch and fix this" orly? you mean the 17th? The day that wonderful 25% bonus exp ends and many of us not getting any chance to use it because of these wonderful GD 5-8hrs in queue daily? jeez that is swell.
    Niwanif likes this.
  10. Bullsnooze Augur

I never said it was hard, my point is that production changes don't happen by 'clicking a button' whenever you want. (They can if you want to lose your job though). Not only that, but scaling probably isn't the problem with these servers, as they likely already scale out.

I understand your point, but even if you came back 'just to play on Aradune', unfortunately your all-access membership is not just for this one server. You can charge back your credit card if you want a refund, but they will ban your account and all accounts associated.

Personally, I believe that Progression servers should have their own premium subscription.
  11. Velven New Member

The only reason people are posting in this this thread is because they play on Aradune, and don't get to play!! if Darkpaw wanted to promote and launch a new server to bring paying customers back to Everquest, they should have the Technical ability to support the customers they wanted back!.
    They should realize this has been weeks of a failed launch and offer a refund or the next month free, OR they could launch another server and collapse it later, as population demands. (none of the solutions will take rocket scientist to implement, just a basic skill set of the product they own)
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  12. That0neguy Augur

You have no idea the status of those servers. They were probably already repurposed or are end of support/deprecated. Who knows. Regardless, servers aren't free. Nor would just adding more infrastructure solve this issue. GG
  13. KimchiGoddess Augur

If my quick google research is correct, SoE sold to DBG in Feb 2015 and RF launched in May of 2015, so all TLPs have been under the DBG (now DPG) helm.

I feel like at the time of acquiring EQ they felt it was a better investment than they do now. The layoffs were telling. The lack of response is telling. The fact that both "active GM servers" show no difference VS the other TLPs is telling. They are quite obviously unwilling to invest in new server architecture and will just continue to merge older servers to make room for new TLPs.

As players we will either put up with it and play the game whenever and however we can, or we will leave en masse and whatever is left will not be enough for the LLC to see financial viability and things will shut down. That's the way I see it anyway.
    Niwanif, Malachi and Name2 like this.
  14. That0neguy Augur

What game exactly do you think you are playing here? EQ architecture scaling? LOL
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  15. Bullsnooze Augur

You made me LOL in real life. :D
  16. Niwanif New Member

I love how someone is still vehemently defending this absolute garbage service we're paying for, all while demonstrating exactly what little they know about it.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  17. That0neguy Augur

Who is defending them? All I see are people posting crazy idea's and other people telling them how wrong they are. No where have I seen anyone say "hey this is ok, get over it"
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  18. Vlahkmaak Augur

I can tell you have never worked in a business environment launching a product/service. The cost should have been determined prior to launch. They had months to gauge the incoming foot traffic and they did not even come close to system needs prior to launching. They have more than 1 time per month to do maintenance. If something is broken and not working it should be shut down and fixed. We have had 20+ years of SOE, DBG, and now DPG having to shut down at intermittent times - for various reasons outside of the "scheduled maintenance window" to fix things. They literally just did this.

A.) It is common to add ram to a server to address memory issues.
    B) I never requested a new clone.
    C) Offer a solution or get off the pot.
    D.) A simple interwebs search on server design, theory, and data base access will show you that 20k is not unrealistic and is exceptionally low. I set the bar low for a reason - we are no longer a hugely populated game.
    E.) If only X amount of foot traffic is able to reasonably access the server they should have expressly limited the size of the server to begin with.
    F.) Less suppositional fanboi argumentation and more factual relevance.
  19. Vlahkmaak Augur

Nah, we are wo
    Nah, we are wrong for expecting the product to work as intended.
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

Do the people using auto clickers to stay in game for 48 hrs+ deserve a refund also? or the ones who have multiple lvl 50s already?