Why are you not just spinning up an Aradune clone?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tepin, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Tepin Journeyman

Seriously...this is IT 101 here. Increased demand means an increase in resources to meet that demand. It's 2020 and the options for this solve are nearly endless.

You did it for Ragefire for FAR less load on that server...yet here we are weeks into Aradune and you're making this a miserable process and experience. This makes absolutely no sense in any way what you are inflicting on your paying player base.

Why?
    Ghostdog, nagash101, Jrome and 4 others like this.
  2. Bullsnooze Augur

They already told you.

They want to see if their server instability fix works before anything else. If it works there won't be a need for a 2nd Aradune server and will lift the server limitations. If it doesn't work they will probably launch Aradune 2 right away as it's the only logical course of action forward.

How much time is this all going to take?

Development releases are once a month, mid month, and mid week... You can expect them to release the fixes either this week or next. My bet is next week.
  3. nagash101 Augur

Next week is to late, 30 days are up no renewing sub for another week of the ARADUNE S$%# Show.
    KimchiGoddess and Niwanif like this.
  4. Bullsnooze Augur

I'm generalizing everyone at this point and you aren't going to cancel your subscription. You're too addicted.
  5. Trizek Augur

Sure, the fact you're still here on the forums complaining shows that you're still playing.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  6. Vlahkmaak Augur

Many of us have already cancelled. We are just trying to play out the time left and see what they are going to do before re-subbing. A server should be able to handle roughly 20k simultaneous log ins before needing to enlarge the server to expand it further. What ever tech they are using seems to be functioning at an exceptionally decreased capacity than this.
    Myrrdyn and Niwanif like this.
  7. Sikkun Augur

The servers were designed for 2500 players and 10k characters (alts). They claimed to have doubled that when Ragefire had problems and the servers have been pretty crappy ever since.

But not all programs scale just by throwing more hardware at them, so their main option is to just open more servers.
  8. Bullsnooze Augur

What I want to know is where you and so many others come up with these astronomical figures and obscene fixes that are just thrown around like it's something done by engineers/administrators on a whim?
    • Just add more RAM.
    • Just 'spin up' another clone.
    • Just do this and that. lol
    Yeah, I can tell none of you ever worked in a development/engineering role. Otherwise your responses would be a lot different. There is a lot of work, cost, and review that happens in order to add or make even a minute change to a production environment. Moreover you typically only have 1 shot (a month) to do so during scheduled maintenance. In a production environment even just 'rebooting' a system needs to go through a change process.

And, no single server should ever be tasked with handling anywhere near 20,000 concurrent connections. It's inefficient and down-right architecturally bad.
    Sakuraba, Adagia, Malachi and 2 others like this.
  9. Baldur Augur

The patch is Wednesday. Hopefully they can increase the cap after it and reduce the queue times.

More transparency would be nice, I get we had a producers letter and all that recently. But they still never really addressed the time period where the queues were just all of a sudden gone and server performance tanked. They never really addressed Aradune specifically in that letter.

And will they increase the amount of people allowed on the server after Wednesday's patch or not? If not when can we expect something done about this? If we have to wait another month for fixes to these 5+ hour queues that's not really acceptable.
  10. That0neguy Augur

Servers cost $$$ first off.
    Second, increasing your resources works well when your applications and architecture are built with scalability in mind. EQ is not. You can't just spin up X more servers and make this problem go away.
  11. Niwanif New Member

We work in this field professionally and your insistence on defending their ineptitude speaks volumes. You don't know what you're talking about.

This is an established service that has already been working for a long time. There is nothing to learn here for them.

There is no defending this malfeasance.
    Velven likes this.
  12. Velven New Member

If i had to guess they are not spinning up another server to capitalize on all the people that want to play because they no longer have the skill set at DayBrake or what ever there called now, If this was still owned by SOE they would have had a new server up in a few days after launch and queues as big as we have seen. We can all say a lot about SOE but after what i have seen with this pathetic launch, they at least valued there customers.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  13. Bullsnooze Augur

I doubt you or a large population of this forum base works in a field related. If you did, you would be far more understanding of the processes and procedures that Dark Paw implemented for their release cadence. I mean the sheer lack of patience from this community supports this fact.

Furthermore, I know exactly what I'm talking about - I'm a Cloud Developer for a very large (1300+ employees) Fintech company that develops AP Automation software. To give you a hint, my company is a direct competitor with Concur. Your finance department probably uses our software. I think I have a pretty good handle on what's going on at Dark Paw and can give you a estimate timeline of what's to come.
  14. Niwanif New Member

Sure, I don't work in the field. You caught me "cloud developer."

Our software guys don't understand infrastructure or scalability either. It's definitely showing in your case here, too.

Way to show your hand and prove my point. :D
    Vlahkmaak and Velven like this.
  15. Bullsnooze Augur

You haven't made a single point and all you're doing now is deflecting with sarcasm.

And, if you haven't noticed an actual Software Developer at Dark Paw liked my original post. :)
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

This is hilarious.

Today: Just spin up a new server.
    6 Months from now: My server is dead. Why did you split the player base by creating a new server?
    andross77, code-zero and Bullsnooze like this.
  17. dc.hawkeyegold Lorekeeper

Can I have all your stuff?
  18. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

How do you expect them to upgrade this? Every time you zone someone's gotta switch you over.

[IMG]
  19. curious2 Lorekeeper

my first attempt at fixing this would be SSDs and some database optimizations
  20. Velven New Member

@Bullsnooze I am going to just say this one time, if you think EQ is running in a Devops environment in AWS your out of your mind. If it was in a devops cloud environment, they should be able to scale on demand!! There inability to scale shows there lack of skill set with the technology they are supporting.
    They should reimburse everyone that plays on Aradune.
    Niwanif and Trinost like this.