REQUEST - /chatfontsize command that affects all chat windows

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Running on a 4k display chat window text is unreadable unless I change it to /chatfontsize =8 but this has to be done on each window on each account logged in.

It would be nice if there was a /chatfontsizeall command that would change the font size for all windows. Or a way to have all windows not just the main one save the /chatfonsize setting so you don't gave to redo it everyv time you log in.

P.S. yes I have tried regular camp outs when adjusting the settings but they still do not save. I have also tried editing the ui files when not in the game and they all go to default font size except the main chat window.

P.P.S not looking for player help which is why this is not in the Player Support forum but I won't object to any idea that might solve the root problem.
    Nennius, Redsumm and Angahran like this.
  2. Angahran Augur

I don't know if this will help but there are items in the UI_player_server.ini files for each chat window.
    (X is the window number and Y is a number).
    • ChatWindowX_FontStyle=Y
    But as you say, a /chatfontsizeall command would be great.
  3. nbkan New Member

Corwyn not sure if you remember me from xegony. Dene necromancer along with my other toons. Anyhow I digress by chance may I see a screenshot of your ui. I got so frustrated with 4k I bought a smaller monitor so I wouldn't go blind. I checked EQ Uis and I have been gone so long I just didn't see anything clean enough for 4k. I forgot how much information spam needs to be filtered out. I'm really not a fan of the tabs either. Life used to be so 'much simpler.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Would also love it if all my chat window font sizes persisted between logins. I'm getting older and the EQ UI isn't getting any bigger!
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea kinda annoying. tried font size zero lol can anyone read that. 9 is weird as its real small too and 10 well way to big.

Andarriel
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

Mine do. Check your ini files make sure any are not set to read only.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If he is like me all sorts of other settings save but not chatfontsize. And non of my config files are read only.

Also advise anyone checking to see if files are ready only don't depend on the attribute for the folder windows 10 is buggy my folders will all say read only no matter how many times I uncheck them but the actual files correctly show read only unchecked.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I also went into the file UI_playername_server.ini and looked at the font settings. First window setting was ChatWindow0_FontStyle=8 the entries under ChatWIndow1, 2 3 etc were all FontStyle=3 sounds promising right? Changed the all.. .saved the file.. reopened the file and made sure the saves were there. Entered the game and of course there was no change. Only the main chat channel had the correct font size the rest were all at the default. So either the FontStyle setting in this ini file is not the correct file or the game ignores it.

I tried another experiment. I loaded my character and did /chatfontsize 5. Did a regular 30 second camp out and voila the FontStyle setting in ui_playername_server.ini was now 5 instead of 8. All the other windows are at 8 in the file (because I manually edited the file) but in game I still just get the default font size of.

So at least in the case of the game on my computer it only recognizes the font size change and saves it for window0. Maybe I am missing something but for my everquest set up it seems to ignore the fontstyle settings in the ini file and also won't save those settings when changed in game EXCEPT Window0.

Why other users say font sizes save for all their chant windows and yet it doesn't for some of us is a mystery to me. Could it have to do with the number of windows open? (and we aren't including tabs). I have 9 chat windows on each of my toons.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

Are the other windows locked or unlocked? Showing scrollbars? Does it have a custom name (on the tab or on the window)? Are tabs enabled or disabled? Regularly have one or multiple tabs on the window?
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Okay... all my other windows were unlocked and unnamed so I locked two and named one of them then named one of the unlocked windows. Exited the game and came back in no change.

Next, while in game, I changed the chantfontsize in the first window after the main one to size 1 then next window 2 then next 3 etc up to 8. Did a 30 second save exited completely and checked the UI file.
    It has listed the correct fonts for each window... so reloaded the game.

it seems to have used the saved settings for some of the windows but I didnt check every one. I did try something else. In game I chanched some to /chatfontsize 5 and some to 8. Did a 30 second camp out exited game completely then loaded game. All the /chatfontsize 5 changes were still there. The windows I had changed to /chatfontsizee 8 reverted to the default.

I never tested font sizes beyond 8 but it seems the game has problems with some of the font sizes and not others. This may be why some folks see no problems with saving font sizes it may depend on the fontsize you are saving. Fontsize 8 saves fine in the main window just not any of the others.

This leads me to wonder if some of the font sizes were added to the game at a later date and didn't get set up correctly.

On the plus side font size 5 is more readable then the default so I will set all my windows to fontsize 5 except the main which I will set to 8 since 8 saves and works on the main window.

P.S. that was a LOT of logging in and out all the way trying things. Luckily I enjoy problem solving sometimes :)
  11. Soulbanshee Augur

I'm at fontsize 4, this could be something. Since this is a feature request thread may want to copy findings into a bug report.
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

I am 51, and my eye musculature is no longer what it used to be, as most people when we get older.

We NEED to be anle to set the text size of the UI elements in an easy way.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Created a bug report in the bug reports forum.
  14. Greymantle Augur

Curious as to why there is such a huge jump in size from 4-5. Would be nice if they scaled a bit more.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We want this. (Well. we want scalable UI... not necessarily a universal font size change... but very similar)
    It's a total redesign of our UI system to achieve it. :(
  16. Veltio Journeyman

This would be fantastic.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah but they wont have the resources to do a total redesign so I wouldn't pop the champagne cork atm.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I do wonder though why the game will save and carry over to future log ins a change to /chatfontsize 5 but not to 8. The windows allow a change to size 8 in game it just doesn't save so the next time you log in you have to change it to size 8 again. If I change my font size in game to 5 it saves and is still set to that when I log in the next time.

If we can't get to a point where /chatfontize 8 saves can we get a /chatfontisize command that changes the font size for all windows instead of having to set the font size for each window? At least this way when I enter the game I only have to do /chatfontsize 8 once not for every chat window I have.

The weird thing is it will save the /chatfontsize setting to 8 in the main chat window but it won't save that setting for any of the other windows other then the main one.
    Zamiam likes this.
  19. Zamiam Augur

^^ yes please
  20. Lianeb Augur

Open your UI_yourtoon_yourserver.ini and change the following.
    ChatWindow0_FontStyle=8
    ChatWindow1_FontStyle=8
    ChatWindow2_FontStyle=8
    ChatWindow3_FontStyle=8
    ChatWindow4_FontStyle=8
    ChatWindow5_FontStyle=8
    ect.....

EQ's largest font sized used to only go to chatfontsize 5, i am guessing when they added the 6-10 font sizes they forgot to add in the part to write it to the ini.

If you edit the ini directly it will save when you log in and out.
    If only i could figure out how to get tells windows in a larger font though, i am sure it is in the ini i just haven't dug it up yet, due to lack of interest and just don't use the tell windows.
    Yinla likes this.