Account Robbed and Character Deleted. DPG's response.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Corvis, Jun 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corvis New Member

After logging in this morning I noticed my main character was deleted and all the krono on my account were missing. This was a fresh account that I created just for Aradune's launch. I have personally known people who have had their kids delete characters or have been robbed who have all had their characters restored. After petitioning, this was the response I received.

"Greetings Adventurer,

I understand your account was compromised recently. Unfortunately, we aren't able to assist with any recovery of coin or items. Keep in mind that account security is the player's responsibility. We were able to confirm your character successfully traded Steviie 7 Krono. I wish I had better news for you, but we're unable to assist in this instance. I would recommend 2 Factor Authentication as well. Here's the article with our Account Security Policy for future reference: ..."

So why does it seem like DPG just does not care anymore? Why do they just seem to not try? Is it from a lack of resources? Are these people told to respond with "We're sorry we don't do that" until we complain enough?

RIP Everquest
  2. Metanis Bad Company

I'd like to see you post the real story here.
    Dre. and Nennius like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Shoot, can't even say can I have your stuff cause its all gone!
    Nennius likes this.
  4. haaaalp Augur

You forgot to add the part where you paid for a PL and got scammed. Don't give your account credentials to strangers. It's really that simple.
    Metanis, Moege and Nennius like this.
  5. Xilva New Member

Congrats on the person who scammed you being able to log in!
  6. KermittheFroglok Augur

I’m sorry to hear that but what did you expect them to do?

To my knowledge, they haven’t restored anyone’s characters for well over 15 years... From what I gather they stopped that and corrective transfers to/from servers like TLPs due to abuse and scams.

Short of rolling back *all the servers*, they can’t get your Krono back. If they just granted you Krono and cloned your character then everyone would have a similar story.

Hopefully you learned your lesson and will use two factor authentication on everything moving forward. In my mind not doing so is like leaving your wallet out in public unattended these days.

Use two factor authentication and you should be fine in the future.

Good luck next time!
  7. Moege Augur

Required by default for new accounts at least the ones I made recently.
    Two factor only helps if someone is trying to change account details e.g email it does not help if you give away the password and someone else uses it to log in. At least the default setting..
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Don't share accounts if you don't want to risk losing your stuff.

Brute force hacks of EQ accounts are almost non existent, if you also don't have unique passwords (as in you have 1 password you use across multiple sites/forums/games) then you are just waiting to get your stuff stolen if it hasn't been yet.

Every game I play I always have unique passwords for each account (its a pain in the neck for sure when I have 5 on EQ) but it pays to be that careful.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Maybe on TLP? Cause I made about 10 new accounts on live servers since anniversary - March? - and was not required on any of them.
  10. Moege Augur

Was in the last 2 months, live server.

Make a new account then make a toon, level it up to about lvl 10.
    Suddenly cannot log in and patcher says go add 2factor

/shrug Added number and could play so don't really care for the reasons why.
  11. Gio1999 Augur

Sounds like you paid for a PL.
    haaaalp likes this.
  12. KermittheFroglok Augur

Seriously, stop accusing the OP of paying for a PL... If they did, I doubt they would’ve left 7 Krono on the account they were doing it on. Anyone scrupulous enough to hand access to their account over a complete stranger would’ve transferred the Krono to a different account.

For all we know they logged in from a public computer and accidentally had the client remember their pass, or had a vindictive ex that knew their common passwords and just logged in for payback?
  13. Moege Augur

14. haaaalp Augur

But, he did pay for a PL. He posted the same whiny post on their forums too. Get your facts right before white-knighting.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

In fairness as I read the thread I would have had no idea where to find these other forums that you speak of. When folks post here that their account has been hacked it is almost always the case that they shared their account information and so I tend to doubt any claim of a direct hack of an account. Such a hack MAY have happened but I have yet to see any actual proof of same on these forums.

P.S. A lot of folks seem very quick to go into attack mode lately. Is that really needed? I may have been guilty of that in the past and I hope that I will be a bit slower to attack in the future. Oh, and "white-knighting" isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it? It used to be called giving folks the benefit of the doubt. Just my 2 cp.
    Yinla likes this.
  16. dreamweaver Community Manager

This thread has been locked for a number of reasons.
    Finder and Yinla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.