Not A Bug Drakkin Breath Weapon Quest # 11 of 15

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by LDEffectsMe, Jun 14, 2020.

1. LDEffectsMe Augur

I finally decided to buckle down and do the quests to unlock the breath weapon all the way for a Drakkin. Now don't get me wrong, some of the NPC's were a little more rare than others and required a couple hours of camping, and that was fine.

But, quest # 11 I found to be really terrible and I think the spawn rate of the NPC might have been accidentally set too low.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=23704

Ionela took literally 28 hours of camping her before she spawned the first time. From what I can tell, every potamide near Queen Nhyalea is a potential place holder, and I kept murdering them all for 28 hours straight. That feels disproportionately broken compared to every other Drakkin breath weapon quest. I've had the items for quest # 12 through # 15 in my bags long before I could even spawn the mob for # 11.

Could someone look at maybe upping the spawn frequency for this named? Or at least confirm if she's intended to be this rare?
  2. GNOME_POWER Augur

She seems to have a rare creature flag.
    I think it is more likely than Lockjaw to be spawn.
    [IMG]
  3. LDEffectsMe Augur

Well, I can only go off of all the comments on Allakhazam and my own personal experience that aligns with them.

I did all of the breath weapon quests 1 to 15, back to back. I spent about 5 times the amount of time camping Ionela as I did doing all of the other breath weapon quests combined. A 28 hour camp does not seem to be in line with the rest of the quest chain, nor in line with the expansion it belongs to. If this were Classic or Kunark era, I'd say it felt about right.

I did quests 1-10 and 12-15 and had all of the items in my bag for 22 hours before Ionela spawned. I bound myself there and kept running back and forth to different camps to maximize my time.
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I have good news and bad news for you.
    Good News: She's a 25% chance to spawn, so actually rather common for a rare.
    Bad news. She has ONE spawn, and it's on a "wander route" which means she can spawn in multiple locations, usually a rectangular area. Her placeholder does NOT have a unique name (probably intentionally.) She re-spawns at 75 minutes +or- 7.5 minutes (random)
  5. Moege Augur

Ouch. If I remember correctly there is quite a few that wander.
  6. Imukai Augur

Quest designs like this are what puts the "Ever" in the title, but drives most players to give up as it is basically a lottery win if you see them.

To me, if you have a quest to go get "something" from "someone" or "somewhere" -- it should exist to be retrieved or there should be some way to trigger them to exist.

In the case of this 75 minute 25% possibility, create a series of events that takes 75 minutes to accomplish -- then loot lock the mob. There. A time sink without it becoming a lifestyle, or waiting for the planets to align with the RNG.
  7. LDEffectsMe Augur

Thanks for taking the time to look into it for me. It just felt off, so I thought it warranted checking into at least. :)