Guide to Tanking for Returning Players?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Heajol, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Heajol Augur

So my question is really what gear level should to shoot for to tank which expansion for a group geared character. And what are some of the best / fastest ways to improve your tanking ability? Augs etc? AA priority for a Paladin. Etc.

What should a new tank in Snowbound be able to tank? How many expansions back should I go to start getting Slot 5s etc? And what makes Hdex the best heroic to shoot for for a group geared tank?
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

hdex gives you slightly more total avoidance than hagi but also gives you dps

If you're in snowbound armor, you should be able to tank anything, assuming your augs and aa are good enough.

The first thing you do is go do the quick TBM task that flags you to buy from the vendors in Plane of Health, then fill up with type 5s bought with remnants of tranquility, which you can probably get for free if you just ask (I know I have hundreds of thousands of them), and probably for a couple plat each in the bazaar. That will get you 32 dex type 5s in every slot to start.

Then you want to get, for type 5s, from best to worst:

1) the tradeskill versions of augs from ToV using crystallized velium
    2) the group dropped ones (can drop in group missions or camp named)
    3) the vendor augs bought with group currency in ToV
    4) the tradeskill versions of augs from from tbl using the mhubis
    5) the group dropped ones from tbl (random zone wide, and from named)
    6) vendor ones from tbl, ros

That assumes you have currency or will get currency doing older content for the flags. So while a 45 dex one from ros is bad compared to a 70 dex one from tov, its better than nothing until you have the currency.

EoK ones aren't worth the effort compared to the TBM ones really, unless you just happen to have currency.

Depends on your support system. Are you doing stuff with friends? Are you solo/moloing? Are you doing random pickup groups?

If you are doing stuff on your own, I'd focus on doing ToV missions, as without other people (and you won't find many random people doing them), you likely won't get far on the older content.

If you have friends, I'd work on old stuff as you can, but I'd definitely get started on farming fight fire (easy tbl currency) for the chance at the evolving items, and working the ToV ear. Those will be better than any group gear probably for 2 more expansions for the tbl ones, and better probably for 4-5 expansions for the ear.
  3. Heajol Augur

Thank you. Yes that's why I tried to clarify with "new". Meaning basically just the auto granted AA and random augs. I have just over 200k hp and 6k AC unbuffed. Not sure if that's good enough to start farming Fight Fire? Or really doing anything in TBL?

I have the ability to six box, but my toons are not all "up to snuff". Only three are 110+. (puller/tank/dps)

I think I'm at the point where I could farm the EoK augs .. but not worth it?

I do a mix of boxing / pickup groups / guild groups.

And I need to work more on AC augs .. any advice on where to start with those?

Also I've been thinking about trying GMM. Not sure how I'd fare there, but it might be worth giving it a try. The hardest zone I've tanked in so far is The Overthere.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If you're in ToV T1 gear (snowbound and all the equivalent non-visible), that gear is basically the same as GMM gear, so all you'd be doing in GMM is trying for some of the TBL type 18/19 augs and exp.

3 characters + 3 mercs at 110+ you should be fine for fight fire, if you either are careful or have the right classes.

All the stuff is in waves, but you can split them, they are all rootable, and mezzable. It was soloable for many raiders at 110, really a matter of trying it and figuring out what your class mix can handle.

ToV named are actually EASIER than named in TBL and many of the RoS ones, due to lack of charm/mez or special abilities.

For ac augs, really just need to do a search and camp them 1 by 1, and try and knock out what you can while you do other things.

The TBL evolvers from fight fire:

boots = need ALL explorer achievements from original game up through RoS
    ring = need champion achievement from RoS, EoK (this is the best reason to work on all that progression)
    hands = need hunter achievements from PoP, RoK, RoS
    shoulders = need scavenger achievements (collections) from CoTF through RoS

The shoulders and boots are the easiest to do. Make sure you're doing overseer to get rare EoK collects.

Those plus the ear gives you something to put in the type 18/19 augs. The tbl will evolve in ToV, but the ear only evolves in ToV.

You'll also want to get your TS to 300+ for all (trophy too), and get your artisan ear aug (maxes at 300 ac 3000 hp).