Add a last name field at character select

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Runes, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Runes Augur

I was wondering if EQ can be coded so that you pick a 1st and last name at character select so that people can enjoy the 1st name they really want but you have the last name that always displays in game to set people apart.

This could also fix issues when merging servers so people do not lose the names they have used for years in case someone on the merged server had an older account.
  2. Dyzalot Augur

You can get any last name you want at level 20. Any char not willing to get that far doesn't deserve a last name :p
  3. Runes Augur

You didn't understand the post but thank you for playing
  4. Protagonist Tank

He's asking to add the last name at the char creation and make that part of the char name differentiation - IE: He wanted to name his character Bob, but someone else already has Bob, so he wants to be allowed to use Bob anyway as long as he specifies he's Bob Darkflamespellshadow instead of Bob Jenkins.

All of which doesn't make it a good idea, but is still separate from what you're talking about.
    Cydonia likes this.
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

I would like to have a wizard named Jim Darkmagic, but I don't think Jim is allowed by anyone.
  6. Whoops Augur

I've accepted this naming scheme in other games like FFXIV, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of it. While some of my characters have surnames, many of them do not. A few have surnames that I've changed semi-regularly or removed for a period of given-name-only. I'm not keen to have this thrust upon my 20+ year old characters just to open the possibility of seeing 453 characters with nearly the same name as each other. Drizzzttt and Drriizztttt and such are bad enough. It would also remove the existing option of changing your surname.
  7. Lejaun Augur

One problem I see right away is "/tell Bob How are you doing?"

Which bob does it go to? Do I have to type "/tell Bob Whatisyourlastname How are you doing?" every time I want to send that Bob a tell?
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Zapford Elder

I think iirc that Neverwinter does something like this. Your name for chat purposes is tied to your account name.

So, if I was named Jim, I would be Jim@Zapford; if Whoops also had a Jim, he would be Jim@Whoops.
    I personally like the system. It's a pain in the butt to constantly have to either race to get your name, or to come up with something original yet not complete gibberish.
  9. Runes Augur

You can just click on a person or their name in chat and it brings up a window to click send tell so you cut down on need to type out fully but yes, you would do full first and last if no other work around.
  10. Healiez Augur

If you have issues getting the name you want, on every server launch, cause someone else takes it...

Maybe your name isnt as cool and edgy as you thought. Be original and come up with something else.

Never understood peoples fanaticism with their in game names.
  11. Runes Augur

Because xxzxxbvg was taken otherwise maybe people want a name they really like that is going to be with them for years. Maybe your names aren't taken because they just suck and no one wants them.