EQ Floating Combat Text (EQFCT)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Moncleared, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Moncleared Lorekeeper

Greetings! I wanted to share with the community a small application I wrote for simulating Scrolling Combat Text for EverQuest. I call it EQFCT and host all of the application source code over on GitHub:
    https://github.com/Moncleared/EQFCT

The application isn't polished by any means and I'll grow and build features over time (and hopefully clean up the UI). However, it is at a place that I'd like to get feedback on it!

You can install the application yourself by downloading and compiling the source or alternatively use the installer provided.

Basic Features:
    • Two primary draggable/transparent windows: Damage Taken & Damage Done
    • Settings for Font Size, Font Color, Show Misses, Critical hits
    • Saves/Stores preferences for each time you launch and run the application
    • Scrolls the Damage Taken and/or Damage done on your screen
    • Auto Updates - Install once and when updates are available it will automatically update itself the next time you relaunch
    How it works:
    EQFCT simply monitors your log file and parses the tail end of it for new lines of text and determines if its damage/heal related. Those lines strip out the important details (such as the damage taken or damage done) and puts it into invisible/click through windows that are "Top Most" on your screen. This gives you the ability to always see the text even when in game.
    Is it safe?
    Yes, I only parse the log file and create windows. There is zero interaction with the EverQuest game process(es). I invite any developers to take a look at the GitHub source code to verify and also contribute!
    Known Issues:
    • Limited functionality at the moment, consider this MVP1
    • Does not function properly with EverQuest in full screen mode (works fine with Windowed Fullscreen)
    • I am probably missing regex pieces for all hit types (pierce, slash, etc). Will add and update over time. Another example, I missed 'backstab' initially as well, sorry rogues!
  2. Kabshaak Journeyman

Gave it a try - it works & I totally dig the concept. This has the potential to free up a good amount of UI space. Looking forward to future customization!

Nice stuff, thanks for making it happen and sharing
  3. Hinastorm86 Augur

Great idea, i'll give it a shot soon at some point.

It's one of the things I always miss playing everquest, and path of exile too. Having those numbers visible in the game field really just makes combat feel better.
  4. Arugan Lorekeeper

Is there no screenshot or demo of how this works anywhere? or did I miss something?

Would like to see what it looks like before going through the trouble of installing it.
  5. Moncleared Lorekeeper

I'll make a quick tutorial video on installing/setting it up tomorrow and post back here. In the interim, there was an earlier video I did just as a proof of concept of what it looks like in game:
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

This seems like a cool idea! Thanks!

Feature suggestion: procs, banestrikes, spells vs melee all in different colors?
    Bardy McFly and Moncleared like this.
  7. Hinastorm86 Augur

Good lord melee in the later expansions is spammy rofl, and that's with a 2h!

I suspect it will look/feel alot better in classic.
  8. JergensLivingston Journeyman

Any chance that the text could fade away? And is this for only melee damage right now?
    Kabshaak likes this.
  9. Kabshaak Journeyman

It registered both melee and spell damage for me - damage dealt and taken - just not separate color for spells yet
    JergensLivingston likes this.
  10. VandilIzer Augur

Super solid been playing with it all day, very happy with it! The update from the day was a improvement as well. Cant wait for more, thanks Moncs!
  11. Febb Augur

Good job! I'm a .Net C# WPF developer myself.
  12. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Another great development by Moncs. Thank you for always looking for these nice quality of life improvements, it always makes a huge difference.

If your guild needs a good DKP tracking system, check out openDKP - also run by Moncs.
  13. That0neguy Augur

It looks really good. Could you not do this with 2 in game windows though? Filter to melee hits only. Make the window transparent and click through.
  14. Karanthal Augur

Very cool, best eq player contribution I've seen for quite some time.
  15. Pikollo Augur

Trying it out right now. Its pretty cool. Only thing I'd change is the ability to turn off melee attacks and just show crits. And the ability to turn crits and procs a different color then normal melee. I personally don't care to watch the normal spam but would like to see what I crit for.
  16. Trevalon Augur

Cool concept Mons...

As a plug, any guild who isn't using OpenDKP you should look at it. Mons is doing a great job over there and its worth every penny IMO.
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

I like that
    /agree
  18. Bard2019 Elder

Now if someone could just find a way to display mezzed/charmed mob icons over top of the mezzed/charmed mobs heads, we'll be good.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Or see invis?! =D
  20. Arrk Augur

I did this with GINA years back.... it was fun but really didn't see a full need for it... but that is just me.

Other fun thing I did, when I killed a mob and got the killing blow... I would make it say FATALITY.

And if I would some loot... it would say Alright Alright Alright