Is Aradune ACTUALLY that populated? Some numbers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Rothj Augur

I just joined every class channel at about 10:30AM Central Time to confirm a theory I had. The numbers I found are below:

Shaman 167
    Enchanter 272
    Warrior 91
    Rogue 53
    Shadowknight 89
    Cleric 205
    Druid 262
    Necromancer 167
    Magician 234
    Monk 112
    Bard 101
    Wizard 109
    Paladin 63
    Ranger 66

This is 1991 people online, which is a high number but I"m pretty sure when I played Ragefire the shaman class channel was consistently in the 200s. The replies I will get are "people are working, they will log on later" and "A lot of people leave class channels". Both of these things are true, but the main thing I wanted to point out is that recently Daybreak swapped to new tech for their servers. It's my opinion that they may have either downgraded to save money or set something up wrong, causing the massive lag we have now rather than huge population numbers. I could be wrong but just pointing this out.
    Aenvar likes this.
  2. Zansobar Augur

That is an insane number given people are working, they will log on later and that a lot of people leave class channels...

To add to this - I can't remember the last time I joined a class channel and I have it set to not auto join the general channels too.
  3. Vexus New Member

This is an example of bad statistics. Not everyone is present in their class channel.
    Nordgaren likes this.
  4. Dooby dooby doo Elder

I was running through kithicor last night and was the only person in the zone. So, if we multiply that by the amount of total zones in classic, wow what a dead server :-(
    Imyur, Lejaun and Tucoh like this.
  5. Kabshaak Journeyman

I

I'm definitely in support of trying to find statistics for servers, but getting this info that early in the day is going to be inaccurate since it is so far away from prime time. I recommend to try to get this information later in the day, maybe around 6PM EST - 11PM EST (just a guess on prime time). Also, a lot of people leave those channels, so it may not be entirely accurate in that regard either.

I personally wish that they would just show population #s like E Q E m u does on their server select screen
  6. Rampart New Member

I didn’t have to wait to log on for the past couple of nights. I think the servers are dead too
  7. Goburs The Filthy Casualz Leader

Pretty sure with instances, picks, and other general roadblocks...the only accurate number could come from DPG.

I also don’t think we ever really got a solid answer as to if it was a downgrade to save money or not. Can any dev, Jchan, or Dreamweaver speak to that?
  8. Name2 Augur

People will also join multiple class channels sometimes for LFG purposes. If you wanted to get a sense of unique characters you might turn logs on and list the people that are joined to the class channels, general channels, etc. Then, parse through those names and remove duplicates to get a count of unique characters joined to chat channels. It still wouldn't be indicative of the overall population, but it would be closer.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Just to chime in with some other stats, lower guk had 8 picks running when I logged on at 6AM to get some pre-work work in.
  10. TheTone Elder

I call BS.

No way 53 people are silly enough to make rogues...especially at 10:30 am CT - a time when mostly our European / Oceanic friends are playing. They know better.
  11. Kiaro Augur

You forget, we're over a week in, they've all gotten their Enc/Clr combos to level cap and have started plvling their alts. Rogues are horrible as a primary character, but as a twink, they're fun!!
    Malachi likes this.
  12. TheTone Elder

Good call - I also forgot that people are making EC traders now too...probably a lot of those.
  13. Rothj Augur

I never claimed it was a scientific study, just a general idea. Phinigel and Ragefire had higher class channel numbers.
  14. Arrk Augur

Here is some numbers also - During Primetime on Monday... I join every general chat i could until I was the only one in that channel...

there were 7 channels with full, 1 channel with 200, and one channel with 30 or so ....

That means for the 9th channel to spawn 8 had to be full at some point

3000+ people online at that one point.... 3200+ at another point... and this doesnt include people who /leave all channels ....

I estimate at prime timer there are near 4000 people or more on the server...as the devs made a comment before that the server was at capacity at 3000 and that's when the queue starts... they since raised that level to some unknown number but when it finally kicks in it is around 10-25 min...
  15. Sikkun Augur

Original EQ servers were designed around a capacity of 2500.
    Ragefire at least doubled that to over 4000.

Mangler was crap at peak capacity, I know Aradune is the new hotness but people were raging about Mangler being down daily just a couple weeks ago.... and even at launch we had tons of crashes and rollbacks before any change to the servers.

For whatever reason the servers suck with numbers around 4k+....maybe it goes back to why they were designed for 2.5k.
  16. That0neguy Augur

Your math is astounding.
    Goburs, yepmetoo, TheTone and 2 others like this.
  17. Malachi Augur

Its good to be curious and try and find the data. But in general there is literally nothing to read from this single data point from a very narrow time of day and then extrapolate to compare to a few months/years of phinny/ragefire data
  18. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

He would need to scan for the unique usernames seen in the chat logs over 24 hour period across all channels you can join and popular zones from a few traders (boxes) combined.

RF & Phinny definitely had a higher population max than what Aradune is capable of.
    Malachi likes this.
  19. Nordgaren Elder

at 10:30AM central, those are pretty high numbers.

Especially considering you probably missed a bunch because people are in instances of the channel. Enchanter2, Enchanter 3 etc.
  20. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

WUT