A Note to the EQ Community from Jenn Chan

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by JChan, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Thygrym Elder

And yet not a peep about the queues nor the now 5+ minute zone times and chat lag.
    Orzulth and zevel like this.
  2. Bobokin Augur

They always give you stuff that costs them nothing. Expect nothing more or more of nothing.

All of my kids' All Access accounts degraded to silver yesterday. They barely played at all because they got kicked off and rolled back too many times. I don't think they will come back to Everquest after this.

Bonus XP is a good start, but it comes up a bit short in the grand scheme of things.
    Orzulth likes this.
  3. Name2 Augur

Didn't a really similar problem happen at NASA? I think I remember them crashing some crazy expensive equipment because somebody assumed imperial distance measurement when it should have been in metric. Probably should have been caught in a review before being pushed out, but this is an understandable mistake. Whoever put the bonus in probably didn't know what units the variable expects.
  4. Thygrym Elder

Serious question.. so with all the hardware and game issues you were having, WHY did you even bother launching 2 new servers with all those issues still in place?????
  5. Thygrym Elder

First off, this isn't rocket science nor is it NASA. Second, they've put in bonus XP multiple times a year so it's not like it was something new. It's lazy and sloppy work and it makes the company as a whole look bad for having such incompetent people working for it. If you worked for me and did something that stupid, you'd be filing for unemployment tomorrow.
  6. Name2 Augur

From the looks of things, if I worked for you I'd probably quit. Much bigger bugs get released in much more critical software than EverQuest all the time. They found it and corrected it. $hit happens, firing someone over a small mistake like this not only reduces the development resources you have available to you, it adds another level of stress to the people that didn't just get fired for no reason. You sound like you don't have a lot of management experience.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is why we can't have nice things and "No good deed goes unpunished."

Some wackos can't take an apology, enjoy their bonus, and move on.

Seriously gives a bad name to anyone with a sensible position (pragmatism gets lumped in with entitlement).
  8. Lisard Silly

First of all, amazing transparecny it is very very refreshing.

thats all. thanks team!
    Shanarias likes this.
  9. Name2 Augur

The apology is fine, if not a little bit late given how utterly terrible Aradune players have been treated and ignored for the last two weeks. What concerns me is a call for patience, without setting any expectations of a timeline to get some legitimate issues resolved. People are looking for solutions, not acknowledgement of a problem. At least they should be.
    basslera and D3C0D3D like this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I was able to get into Aradune fine all day today.

TLP forums have been relatively quiet.
    Shanarias likes this.
  11. Darafel Journeyman

I actually understood why there'd be server issues and wasn't too frustrated by it. I mean, I was a bit of course, but I just tried a different server until things quietened down. Not the end of the world.

Saying 'try logging on when everyones asleep' then going dark for 9 days was what bothered me, and really made it feel like some people were saying - you took the money and ran. I knew that wasn't the case of course, but it made you look crappy. A tweet every couple of days or a post would show you care. The silence simply tells me you don't.
    Barton, scaethach, D3C0D3D and 2 others like this.
  12. zarcal Elder

Thank for all your work. The company i work for has moved all of our infrastructure from our own data-center to AWS. It has been a long and harrowing process with lots of unforeseen 'features' and troubleshooting issues with so many moving parts is a challenge.

It will get better (although we are still battling some things after a year)
  13. Sancus Augur

Obviously addressing server stability is paramount, but I hope server/zone performance is also given a serious look as part of this initiative. At this point, the only challenging part of raids on live is fighting lag - this affects script progression, pathing, and character output. It makes farming raids each week a frustrating and tedious experience, and it saps any of the fun out of playing my class. If it weren't for the people in EQ, I'd have already retired.

Zone lag is an issue that has been neglected for years, and it has steadily increased in severity. I understand there isn't a clear financial incentive associated with addressing it, but at its current rate of deterioration, I don't see how 54-man raiding in EQ is going to continue to be technically viable long term.
    Barton, Thoxsel, scaethach and 2 others like this.
  14. Kirador New Member

Bonus xp is really pointless if you can't zone or log into the game during prime time. What is actually going on with your new TLP?
  15. Neuro Elder

This is what is happening with the Aradune server. I realize Aradune is only one out of many servers, I feel it is currently generating the lion's share of revenue for DPG right now, and as such, it's issues should be of paramount concern to the staff of DPG.

As of right now, I just logged into the game at 6:34 CST, I finished loading around 6:39 CST, I then gated, and now it is 6:52 and I am still loading in Qeynos Hills. On the plus side, I didn't have a queue to log in, on the negative side, the game is currently unplayable.

You quite obviously upped the concurrent users allowed number, cause there is no queue, but the servers obviously cannot handle it. I can't help but feel like this was done out of spite, a way of "teaching the users why we have a queue". Believe me, we know why there was a queue, but just turning it off and letting the server melt was not the answer.

We need a different solution, cause this one is terrible. Game w/queue is better than unplayable game w/no queue, so please communicate with us what the plan is. If this is how it's gonna be going forward, then a lot of people will leave, and you will have lost a terrific opportunity to actually grow your game again.

Edit: 7pm, I'm having to manually close my game and restart. Game is unplayable.
    zevel likes this.
  16. Orzulth Journeyman

Actions speak louder than words. Once I can actually log in again I might consider taking this as more than them just blowing smoke up our *expletive deleted*
  17. Sakkara2 New Member

3-5 minutes to load a zone, over 10 min to change pick.
    I'm trying REALLY hard not to rant here but somebody over there needs their butt royally chewed out.
    Orzulth and zevel like this.
  18. dirgenoobforreal New Member

I find it funny that the message was copy pasted on the EQ1 & EQ2 forums and its the exact same. Same issues, same reply.

To me this confirms that its not the games having issues, but the fact that you are moving everything on to a cloud service that obviously isnt the same performance as a server rack that requires a dedicated OPS. On a spreadsheet budget this might look amazing, but for your players its a goddamn nightmare.

This needed to be fixed months ago, at least for EQ2 and its just completely game breaking at this point.
  19. Jamaaly New Member

I am not as forgiving.
    You have issues, fine, but we are paying for this service and it requires planning to make time to play the long hours required. You have shown little to no concern for this.
    25% xp bonus only matters if you can play the game. Many cannot at prime time. Either your stupid queue because you failed after 21 years to forsee the obvious, or this absurd lag as prime time starts. I die and the whole group has to break up, ON A POTION, because I cannot get back to them. We lose our tank, they cannot get back in zone. Only solution, do not play at the time we are most likely to play.

Straight to the point, this apology does not mean jack to me. I want to play the game. I want what I actually paid for however and I am not getting it. Does your EULA actually say you may choose, or fail to provide service for days or weeks now on end? Does your EULA warn u someplace that we may have to sit and wait worse than Ticketmaster for the stones to compete for a chance to play in the world for which we already paid?

You should refund every the last month and stop billing until you start working and working right.
    You got problems, fine. So do we all. Right now, with so many of us out of work, coming back to the game, who got suckered in by your failed promises once again. And you took our money for a service you have not provided. I have had less than half the time to play that I would have done. I have spent a good deal of the time I could have played a reliable stable game, waiting to compete for a place on the server, or waiting to zone because the game froze from lag during prime time.

I do not appreciate you. I do not appreciate the way you have dishonestly offered your services and failed to provide them. I do not appreciate the way you type out this long apology while offering little to nothing to fix the issue or resolve your betrayal of our trust.

I am paying and I am not playing. Right now as I write, I am waiting for my character to fricking zone because I died and cannot get back to my group. My zone timer is over 10 minutes now. Meanwhile instead of making the game work, splitting the server, keeping your promise or providing the service we paid in advance for, you are sitting on your butt typing a useless apology that tells us basically that you suck, and you are sorry that you suck, and you are apparently going to continue to suck for some time to come, but you are charging us anyway in HOPEs you can keep this game running, that does not run anymore, for years to come.

All I see is a failing game, owned apparently by an investment firm, where making high profit margins, off services you provide more poorly as time moves forward.

You just lost my in game purchases with this useless wasted diatribe. If you do not fix the issue, and make this past month whole, the time I have left will be the last.

As an add on, your GM's are not available to us in game. There is no difference compared to before, and they are still incapable of actually giving any service other than lip service, incorrect answers, or stupid excuses to fix easy mistakes your team used to be able to work with. It is like after 21 years, you are more incapable of doing this job than you were in 1999 when you were still learning.

I am disgusted, cheated, and still not able to zone after typing all of this crap. NO. Stick this apology where you want to stick it, but not in my face because it is 100% pure BS.
  20. KimchiGoddess Augur

LOL, all of your "kids". Riiiiiight.
    code-zero likes this.