DPG - Please Explain the Technical Side of Aradune's Problems

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by CartoTLP, Jun 7, 2020.

1. CartoTLP Journeyman

I'd like to request an explanation as to what is going on with Aradune, from a technical standpoint. What makes it worse for many of us is that earlier this year DPG brought the servers down for 24 hours on February 11 for a "one-time data migration." Now logically, one would be led to believe that the goal of this data migration was to improve performance, especially given that you announced the new TLP servers shortly thereafter. See February 2020 Producer's Letter.

So instead of saying silent, why don't you have a discussion with the community and figure out ways to address this issue? At the very least you could keep us informed and act like you care at least a little bit after getting our money for subscriptions, krono, in-game potions, and/or the bag bundle packs.

As to potential fixes beyond running the game on decent servers (which cannot be that cost prohibitive given private WoW servers are run far smoother than this with more people), perhaps there is a way to implement an additional server on a temporary basis? Similar to what P99 did when the Green population was too much for the zones to handle. I did not play there but I understand it was a success overall. Perhaps there are other alternatives people will chime in with.

Bottom line, the lag is unbearable and if you can't fix it at least tell us why you cannot/will not fix it.
    Indar, vaenivo, Aenvar and 1 other person like this.
  2. Syphaa New Member

Its beginning to feel like a money grab to me and they are cool with people disappearing now they made bank off us.
    It literally takes minutes to fix these issues.
    Orzulth likes this.
  3. Karreck Somebody

So explain how to fix these issues then and why they only take minutes.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I didn't see them say this was to improve performance anywhere, they didn't give us any actual reasoning/justification for this, so this is a complete assumption on your part.

In my opinion the performance of every server after the migration did not improve, if anything it has worsened and also been more unstable.
    So if I were to speculate I would say that perhaps the migration was purely to save costs & we are on now on worse server hardware than we were before.
    Barton and Bullsnooze like this.
  5. Malachi Augur

Did they say one-time data migration? They meant one-time money migration. Catch em if you can!
  6. Gnothappening Augur

Normally I think people exaggerate the server issues, and they might be now, but there is something I have noticed. I can go and play on another server, such as mangler, for five or more hours straight without any issues. I can take my same account on the same computer and log over to Aradune and I will get kicked to desktop at least once per session. I realize I'm a small sample and anecdotal at that, but it is odd and has happened the last two or three days in a row.
    Toor likes this.
  7. Bryna New Member

Two suggestions:
    (1) Fix the crashes to reduce number of people trying to log in.
    (2) Allow selection of PICK on zone in, could reduce zoning traffic by as much as half.

SS, software and system engineer, retired
  8. Gnothappening Augur

Also, to be fair, how many other 21 year old pieces of software are we trying to run on the latest architecture? At some point the code base is going to need a total overhaul or they are going to have a hardware compatibility issue. I mean, I wouldn't doubt that the code is older than some of the people they have working on it.
  9. Coirnav Augur

Mangler was seeing the early signs of a lot of these problems when they opened TLPs free to play that first week.

Slow load times, chat lag etc, were all coming and going.

This is like that but 10x because this server is that much more popular.

If I had to guess, I'd say this server is under provisioned on CPU and/or for the number of players we have. But this feels like CPU to me. I know they moved their hosting earlier this year, we definitely noticed performance issues as players ever since that. I'm guessing to increase the size of whatever VM or container this is running in is not cost effective so they are probably hoping people just go play on Rizlona and things balance out.
  10. Coirnav Augur

They should just do a second Aradune. There is precedent for that. Fippy/Vulak... Ragefire/Lockjaw. While that second server always suffers from under population, in this case under population is better than unplayable.

And lets be honest...another round of store cash money would flood the Darkpaw pockets if they announced a second Aradune.
  11. Sikkun Augur

How many literal minutes?
  12. Catty Lorekeeper

"Yes". - retired 'computer' guy, so I know.
    minimind likes this.
  13. Whitesoul Journeyman

They don't care - they are laughing at us :)
  14. Sikkun Augur

What’s the going charge rate for “yes” number of literal minutes?
  15. Whitesoul Journeyman

They are making it rain on themselves...with our tears and our cash!
  16. Bard2019 Elder

Exactly this. Clone it and call it Mithara then in 6 or 9 months, if populations require it, merge the two.
  17. Creedmonk Augur

Wait you guys are still trying to make Aradune work? Mangler has been running fine!
  18. code-zero Augur

Because merging has such a high satisfaction rate in the past
    Yinla likes this.
  19. Febb Augur

I'm not sure where the bottleneck is but you can clearly tell the server cannot handle the amount of people connected to it. However I'm sure they have taken a look at the numbers to see what the overflow would be for an overflow server and it's probably not enough to sustain long term unless a bunch of people from Aradune started over on it.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Risiko Augur

I'm starting to think that the data migration was from a dedicated server farm to a shared server farm because performance has gotten extremely bad ever since they did it.

I honestly wish Darkpaw Games the best with their new setup, but it's not looking good right now. Aradune has been the worst server start of any TLP server yet. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I have been there for every single one, and my friends I have played with on many of those TLPs are saying the same thing.

Let's hope for the best.