[Feature] 'Break Down' group/raid currency to previous expansions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Angahran Augur

Could we get the option to 'break down' currency from current expansions to previous expansions ?

Or an NPC, hand them any group/raid currency and they'll tell you what they will offer in exchange ?
    Jumbur and Skuz like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Raid/group currency exchange?

Interesting concept.
  3. Broozer Augur

That's a cool idea. We already have the ability to turn in higher rk 2 spell gems for lower ones. I think this would be fair to fall along the same lines.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It will certainly make it more worthwhile to unlock old expensive raidgear(like the cure shield from Cotf for example), even if you don't plan to farm the old raids repeatedly afterwards.
    My guild have a "non-mandatory casual throwback Saturday" where we battle old raids and go through raid-progression.
    This idea might make those kinds of events more popular. :)
    Coagagin likes this.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Gets brought up once a year or so. They have said "trading up" (older currency for newer currency) is a no go, but potentially would not be against trade down. Nothing has gone further than them saying they aren't against it (at that point in time).
  6. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Something else to consider is making the currency heirloom. Especially for CotF, which offers gear for many different levels. I'd love to do something with the 30k Marks of Valor I have on one of my 110 characters, while alts in the 75-100 level range can buy two or three items at lvl 80, say, and then be 85 before they are ready to buy more. Let the main characters that played those HAs to death pass down their leftover Marks, I say.
    Skuz, Coagagin and Broozer like this.
  7. Broozer Augur

That makes good sense. I think even about all those dream motes too lol.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Laronk Augur

I think its a terrible idea, you want to use raid currency for other characters go play on FV. The character should earn their own raid currency or be in FV land.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  9. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I wish people would use specific examples of why they want something, rather than blanket statements. This topic has been covered many, many times.

And this is nothing like lowering rank 2 spell levels.

Raid currency is trivial to get these days for older raids … 40 coins (or more on a few) per raid. For TDS raids and prior (our Saturday raids haven't cycled to TBM in awhile so can't make any sure statements about those), you basically need at most 12 semi-awake/functioning people (drunk is fine). And a lot can just be boxed. I don't think there's an item that you would want in current from TDS prior that cannot be gotten in more than 3 clears. The barrier to these items is as low as can be.

Group currency has it's own issues. If you allow TBM into the mix, you've basically allowed anyone to buy pre-TBM group currency since TBM currency is tradable. Everyone and their grandmother has hordes of CotF group currency as well. What's the upside here?

EQ players will find the sweet spot of any system EQ has and beat it to death.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Farming old raids repeatedly is sorta boring(as trivial as they may be). Unlocking items on the raid-vendor the first time is still entertaining(some of the old vanquisher-achievements requires you to be awake). So the suggestion doesn't remove the entertainment value and only cuts away the grind. :)

Removing/lessening old timesinks is imho a good thing.

The whole "factor 4" increase with old raid currency does help enormously, even if they don't listen to the OP's suggestion though.

https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=99138 shield of immaculate light : 360 CotF coins
    and
    https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=141740 veneium: 750 tds coins
    is what i am interested in. No clue how long 750 tds coins will take, but the CotF shield is 3 tier2 clears(assuming 40 coins per win)
    https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=133708 bifold focus of the evil eye: 840 RoF coins, is still somewhat a grind though.

Just to name a few items with lasting power, that can be bought with old raid coins.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I think I have like 8000 of the TBM raid currency. No bags or ornaments to buy to put on alts or sell.

Seems a little cheesy to be able to downgrade that and buy every rare clicky item from prior expansions though.
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

With the x4 coins it is definitely WAY faster/easier to get these items. We've been going back and hitting raids for them every week since they upped the coins and many people have already finished all of them.

Shield of Immaculate Light takes 3 clears of the 3 T2 raids (Tower of Rot, Argin-Hiz, and Void) plus the Tower of Rot Achieves which are easy. So 3 weeks for that one.

Venenium takes 3 clears of the 7 events plus the Achieves from the final raid, which is also easy. You will also get 500 additional coins after the 3rd clear from the achievements as well. 280 coins per clear for 840 coins plus the 500 coin bonus after the 3rd clear for 1,340 coins in 3 weeks as well.

Bifold Focus and the other RoF ones can take a little longer. We farm Grelleth, Velishan, and the 3 Xorbb's for 200 coins per week, you can also do Evantil and Chapterhouse for 80 more coins. Chapterhouse is a little harder and we usually skip it, Evantil we run sometimes (it's not really hard, so I'm not sure why that one gets left off sometimes). So 5 weeks per RoF item farming the 5 easy ones, 4 weeks farming 6 of them and 3 weeks if you run all 7. The Bi-Fold requires Xorbb 3 Achieves which are pretty easy to get, Grelleth's Royal Seal takes the Grelleth raid achieves, which is annoying but still doable, and the Carillon Box of Strings takes the Chapterhouse achieves which are a huge pita still.

So, in 3 weeks you can have both cure clickies and an RoF item. Add an additional week or 2 to the RoF item if you decide to skip an event or 2 each week.

I'm not against downgrading the coins but everyone can get the items a lot faster just farming some easy raids than they will waiting for DPG to change coins to be down gradeable.
    Yinla, Jumbur and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  13. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

For the Shield, PoWar raid counts … and grants 80 coin per win. It's harder than the other raids, but usually the only danger is an overzealous SK harm touching one of the Zeks to get all out of balance. But with War, the shield can be done in 2 clears.

Arx is funny...with the 40 coins per, you end up getting the coin just as you get those extra bonus achievements (if starting from scratch). But you can get yourself a set of ornaments plus the Venenium with 3 clears.

For tier 2 RoF, don't forget the other Breeding Grounds raid (A Feast For Zalikor). You can actually zone out of Velishan zone instance to right near the NPC for that. A raid that was difficult in the past is really trivial now. That plus the other two you mentioned brings the total coin for tier 2 in a clear to 320. 3 clears can get you that Bifold or Seal or Box. There's also the canni robe for int casters and clerics for 500.

Also, don't forget about the Rod of Dark Rites for those that can use for tier 3 coin. Really nice to have when you get rezzed and need a little something to cast self buffs to get you going. Plus the CoX 3s are on the tier 3 vendor (if you haven't gotten the 4s in War).
    Yinla and Jumbur like this.
  14. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I forgot about the 2nd Velishan raid, you could swap that in place of the Chapterhouse and still get it in 3 clears that way. 280 per clear for 3 weeks would give you just enough. We've done Chapterhouse, but I imagine most would want to skip that one.
  15. Catty Lorekeeper

I disagree with this idea. Reasons to go back and play older content. You want that OMM item, go play OMM. (ignoring overseer :\) You want TBM collectables? Go play TBM. (Ignoring overseer).

This game does not need more reason to focus more people in fewer spots. Spread people out. The Hunter and Slayer achievements and Artisan Earring were amazing at forcing people to some more Social Distancing. I love it. More! Not Less.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Shanarias like this.
  16. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

faulty logic is faulty. allowing people to do more current instanced content in order to not have to do older non-instanced content is not going to focus more people in fewer spots in any way.

I'm all for this being put into play, personally. I also think old raid currency should be added to the loyalty vendor but that's an entirely different conversation. I would suggest setting the exchange rate such that the currency for the most expensive ToV item will convert to the amount of currency that would get you the most expensive TBL item... and so on and so forth down the list. in essence, if you want to spend your nugget currency to go buy your bifold... well you can do that (if you have the chieves already).

I don't know if the juice would be worth the squeeze on group currency.
  17. Riou EQResource

Just do like basically every other MMO does and let you convert them to plat basically

Then convert all the old vendor currency bought stuff to just be bought with Plat instead
  18. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

I would imagine that's a lot more work than adding a vendor at the big bank in pok that will sell you X amount of last expansions currency for Y amount of this expansion's currency.... I mean, since it's literally that + editing every single raid gear vendor in the game to sell things for plat instead of whatever currency....
  19. Catty Lorekeeper

This suggestion does not mean there's more NEW content. It just means you can continue to do NEW content (run ToV missions) to buy OLD content rewards. Anyone who might have gone back to visit older raids/missions - won't.
    Broozer likes this.
  20. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

I disagree. first and foremost, the only gear that anyone wants to go back and get is hidden behind achievements. which will REQUIRE that the folks go and beat the events at least once, normally 2 or 3 times. what this *will* do is eliminate the requirement to go get multiple groups of folks on off-raid nights to run content that most of them probably don't need...

another thing it does is allow folks to go back and clear not-as-old content that they can do with fewer people to farm the currency for the item they need. ie COTF raids are solo-able or at least 1 groupable, but several of the RoF raids are not (by design)… in a sense, this would encourage people to do MORE old content (or at least a wider variety) in order to get their chase items faster and/or on more characters.
    Broozer and Xeladom like this.