Comcast Advanced Security blocks EQ

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kronotowin, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Kronotowin Elder

Aradune has been nearly unplayable since launch. I refuse to join a group due to my constant desynching from the server. I tried everything online with no help. Then I decided to check my Comcast modem settings.

In April I renewed my contract with Comcast and received the top of the line modem/router and newest TV boxes. (you have to renew or they start to jack up your fees) Long story short I fixed my connection issues by logging into the xfinity xFi web portal and disabling Advanced Security.

Comcast is an awful company yet it's the only choice in my area. I hope this will help other people experiencing the same issue.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

Thanks for bringing this up!! Depending on where the packets are being jacked up, this could assist others, regardless of their ISP.

Just to be fair, it is not necessarily Comcast but the gateway (modem/router combo) or modem and router.

What was disabled is what used to be called SPI (stateful packet inspection), it is considered secondary software security, behind the NAT hardware, and it will temporarily disable a port when it perceives the start of a DDOS attack. And it is not the size of the UDP packets but the amount. Routers have its hardware, NAT, then nowadays they have their version of SPI, and it is called by a variety of names now but usually xx Security. And disabling it will not open up the router/system, only enabling DMZ, bypass the NAT and opening up a computer to the net..

Most of the info EQ uses is transported by UDP packets, and if the stream is not relatively steady but is delayed/slowed down then released relatively quickly then the Router's secondary security will temp close that port to stop the perceived attack.

Again, packet delay is likely not just happening within the server network but anywhere down the line between your computer, ISP, multiple junctions (router systems) the packets travel through to the servers ISP then into DBG network.

I do have a question though, have you timed how often it occurred before the disconnection?: 15+ years ago when mfg started introducing the SPI into consumer router, iirc it would disconnect approx 20 minutes after logging in.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Kronotowin Elder

Interesting, I’ve never heard of SPI. I think the major difference is that Comcast is enabling SPI or Advanced Security by default now. Yesterday before I turned Advanced Security off I was desynching from the server within minutes of logging on. I also noticed when I would alt tab the desynch would increase in frequency.
  4. WeezFv Lorekeeper

This is not an ISP issue, cause most DCs are not every 20 mins. They are in fact random

They are on live servers as well as TLP . Its not hardware nor drivers. (on most of our ends)

It is nice to have people like my friend above postin, tryin to help people but sometimes you cannt always blame us.

Esspecially with all the server issues they had this week.

Not only the points i pointed out on another thread but when im runnin my 3 accounts on 1 pc and just one of em rando DC,.. how the heck is the my router/modem
  5. Sarkaukar Augur

Tis not Comcast. Any will have it enabled by default, just Windows 10 power options default to either Balance (desktop) or balance/power saver (laptops), and such settings can affect how games play, etc, etc.

As for Weez, the 20 minutes was related when the players narrowed it down all those years ago, at a time when SPI enabled routers were just becoming available for consumers. :)

Even with that info, if there is a bottleneck somewhere along the route the player's game does take, which ends up triggering the SPI to temp close a port, then this is a resolution to work through that detail, a step that can be taken, a troubleshooting step, just like it helped resolved what the OP was experiencing. He posted what worked for him, and it could potentially work for others, if the primary issue is the SPI/router Security being triggered.

Each game creates its own port/connection, its own door. And this step has potential to be used as troubleshoot the potential issue. Is it meant to be a fix all? No. It is there to help remove potential obstacles.

Krontowin, again, appreciate the information.
    WeezFv likes this.
  6. WeezFv Lorekeeper

i hear ya bro but still something is wrong on their end
  7. Kronotowin Elder

Just an update to this. I went hours with no problems before making this post. The next day I started to crash again once in a while. No where near as frequently but I still desynch from the server. I've played on P99 for years with no problems. I played on most TLPs at launch with no problems. I'm guessing it's something to do with their multibox detection that is ruining the game for me. Daybreak broke something and I'm just done with it. It's pointless to try and level when you can desynch from server at any point.

The same players are farming the server for thousands of dollars via krono sales while casuals like me are punished. It's a damn joke and the social justice post on their twitter just proves I should never return.
  8. Sarkaukar Augur

Kronotowin,

As I noted in previous post, it is also a troubleshooting step. It did relieved the issue for x amount of time during the weekdays but now you are running into the weekend where there is likely a jump in usage, not just the overall network but servers.

But now you are mentioning crashing instead of desync/disconnect. Crashing would have the game close up completely while DC would have the game drop to server selection. Also, what state/city?

And.. did you check the settings again? Also reboot the router and modem, or gateway (combo)
    Also if using Steam, disable the overlay.
    Also do a flush DNS

Navigate to the desktop. (From Home, tap or click the Desktop tile).
    Right-click the Start button (the Windows logo in the lower-left).
    Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    When asked whether to allow Command Prompt to make changes to your computer, select Yes.

Note: If you are asked for an administrative login, you will need to contact your system administrator.
    Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.
    Type "ipconfig /registerdns" and press Enter.
    Type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter.
    Type "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter.
    Type "netsh winsock reset" and press Enter.
    Restart the computer.

And no, it may not completely resolve the issue you are having if the primary culprit is directly on DBG end, but the troubleshooting steps taken may help remove some of the other road bumps that were there in which are now aggravated by them.
  9. Kronotowin Elder

Thanks for the help Sarkaukar,
    I performed all the cmd prompt tasks you listed and I restarted my gateway. I've never crashed while playing just desynched from the server. I used the wrong term in the last post. After a few days I'll try to update on this.