The Price Of Everquest.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zalde, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Toquillaw Augur

Sounds like you are missing the point. People are saying how they rationalize the price to themselves. This is how they assign "value", which is entirely subjective. What is the point of comparing to other forms of entertainment? Walking? Drinking? Flying helicopters? People compare what they pay with what they get, and find that EQ is either fine, or overpriced, or underpriced.

It's about value for the amount paid.

Plus, the game is free as well but with restrictions. Not everyone will be happy with that, and then either decide not to play at all or decide to pay for full access.

I think the Krono seem to be doing well. Seems like there iare a lot of people buying and selling. Could well be that ftp players end up using in-game cash to get gold for a month or more, and maybe every once in a while buy a SOE Walmart card. So, they could find a combo of using in game cash and SOE cards to lower their price.

It's jsut that it isn't as dire a situation as people make it out to be. There are a ton of options other than $15/month. We pay $90/year per account. Some people pay $18/month, but play EQ1, EQ2, and Vanguard (I think it is included too) with the station pass thing (... my wife just decided to try that on one account to see if she likes the variety). Or ingame cash purchase of Krono for free gold. Or just to subsidize periodic SOE card payments. Or, like I expect I will do, pay $90/year, but every once in a while buy an in-game krono which adds 30 days to the account (a bit longer between annual payments).

That's a ton of options to the $15/month.
  2. Talif Augur

Kronos have a 2 dollar discount (if you go All Access).
  3. Leerah Augur

Huh? I just checked /market on my All Access account and it still says $17.99.
  4. Tegila Augur

that could also be why you cant get 2year sub if you on all access
  5. Jadeen New Member

When you kinda of think about it. You pay $14.99 a month and receive 500 sc which is equivalent to $5.00, so if you subtract the $5.00 (500 sc) to $14.99, you end up paying $9.99 a month. And then with the latest expansion of $39.99 you get a total of 19 expansions which equals to 19 x $39.99 = $759.81, minus inflation the past 13 years we can kind of round it off to $600 total for 19 expansion. With that, I think EQ is cheaper then most games.
  6. Peter_The_great Elder

4,99usd would be a dream, I might start paying for it again.
  7. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Rise! Rise!!!!!
    Malachi and Tatanka like this.
  8. Zamiam Augur

Test is free and its all access and permanent bonus XP .. :p
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Cheap necro!
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

And you can copy all your characters to it, for free.

All these cheap people have this option, but complain about the cost anyway, its weird.
  11. KermittheFroglok Augur

Test is “free” but also buggy and people should expect downtime when things break or get buggy on Test (e.g. instances not working), especially if it goes down later in the patch cycle when the Devs are focused on getting a patch to Live. Test isn’t really a good substitute for Live.
    Shanarias likes this.
  12. Zamiam Augur

I'm not gonna make a long post here I've posted on this (the reason I play on test now) in other threads in detail .. all im gonna say is..

Test is definitely a good sub for live because it is FREE .. especially whats been happening over the last 3 months on live servers..

I have 12 accounts 6 that i play with regularly the others are traders or mule accounts, but out of those 6 most of those were sub'd accounts .. They all came up to resubscribe this last month and it did/will not happen ..

so far this last 2 weeks ive been on test (roughly), test I think came down once vs live 3 times .
    and I'm having a blast .. like was said before (forget who said it ), but now that I'm not paying a sub I don't feel obligated to log in and play (if i can) . when i was sub'd with 6 accounts I always felt I had to try and log in and play as much as i could to get my $'s worth ..

I've said in other posts I wont support a game that doesn't support its paying player base( again ive talked about it in detail in other posts) , however I will continue to support the game via expansions when they come out with my main account and will only buy the previous expansions for my alt accounts when they go on sale .. so technically I will still support DPG just not as much as I used to .

Ok so this post ran a bit longer than I was expecting .. sorry for the long post .. Everyone have a blessed day and stay safe..
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, cause Live servers never go down /eyeroll

And kudos to Peter_the_Great for the almost-7.5-year necro ;)
  14. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Your Pro-TEST(get it?) attitude convinced me during the last couple of downtimes, both expected and unexpected to /testcopy a toon off each account; just incase! All your points make a lot of sense. Thanks
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Rofl, my first thought was,"Who resurrected this thread?"

Had to add, "It was a Necro!"
  16. svann Augur

A fair price is simply that which people are willing to pay.
    If the price was too high then people would be leaving to play something else.
    Something equivalent that is cheaper or something the same price that is better.

I dont see that happening but if you find something let us know.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Me too.

I also understand folks wanting to pay less. Most people I know would be happy to pay less for most anything. But the market isn't demanding a big price drop else total subscriptions would be falling. On the other hand (pardon the stream of consciousness here) those who box several characters have a lot more skin in the game than I do. I only have two accounts and don’t plan to have more.

For me it is a cheap diversion from real life. It keeps my mind occupied and helps to connect me with old friends. And most of all I enjoy it when the servers are up.
  18. KermittheFroglok Augur

1) EQ is a bundled game so it’s four games for $14.99 a month, not bad. I don’t see the price going down, short of DBG getting rid of AllAccess. But who knows which games are subsidizing which, maybe our price would go up instead.

2) Test is a ghost town server that is a little less stable. If you want to play on test and not experience the real game that’s your call. I just remember there being multiple threads in recent years of people from the “Test Community” freaking out that the server or instances were down days before Live patch day and not understanding why they weren’t the priority for the Devs. Same people freaking out tended to not be the paying players...

I’m not saying Test doesn’t have a purpose, people should play on Test and note any bugs, I’ve even checked out patches on Test. The problem is many people just go there because it’s “free” and miss the point and often eventually get disappointed when things do start to break or get fixed slower.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

7 year thread-necro is pretty sad.

That said, gaming is a fairly cheap hobby versus a lot of other stuff you could be doing instead.

And EverQuest is a cheap game to keep running and partly due to how much time it eats up I don't play too many other games either.

EQ did used to be expensive to play though, I recall when playing over AoL on a phone line ran up some painful phone bills :p
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  20. Khat_Nip Meow

Adjusting for inflation, it cost relatively more per month to play in 1999 than it does now.
    Yinla likes this.