How do I play EQ on a high resolution monitor?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MIssDes2, May 22, 2020.

1. MIssDes2 New Member

I recently got a new computer and when I log into EQ, everything is super tiny. Using Alt +O and changing the resolution just resizes my window, nothing inside it. I found an old forum post where someone said Go into the game directory (probably Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest). Right click on eqgame.exe, and choose Properties. Then go the Compatibility tab, and make sure that 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' is NOT checked. That didn't work for me. Anyone know how to fix it so I don't need a magnifying glass to see my UI?
  2. phattoni Augur

you need a hi res UI, or set desktop reso lower.

windowed mode will goto the desktops resolution.

unfortunately, there is no game support for 4k+, the ui i think caps out around 1080(most common resolution at this point in time.)

less than 10% of the world runs 4k to game.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Janakin on EQInterface made some 4k ui elements. The chat one no longer works it was made before they added tabs but the rest all work still. That and /chatfontsize 8 are your friend. Sadly reading what you are typing in the typing portion of the window is still going to be hard to do.
  4. chocster Lorekeeper

Not sure if this actually affects pixel counts or Hi Def in everquest but my native resolution is a 27inch 4K.

With an NVDIA card:
    1. Click NVIDIA SETTINGS
    2. Change resolution
    - Under Change resolution settings, click "customize"
    - Under "Customize", click "Create customize Resolution"
    - Under "Timing" change 'Automatic" to "Manual"
    Here is the magic: Leave "Active Pixels" at the resolution you prefer, in my case I like the EQ UI sizes of a 1920 x 1080 but...
    We are going to change all other blocks to a 4K setting
    A. "Front Porch pixels" to 176 8
    B. "Sync Width Pixels" to 88 10
    C. "Total Pixels" to 2200 1125

3. Now hit "Test" to ensure it runs ok.

4. Now your desktop is running at 1920x1080 Horizontal and vertical but you have increased Front Porch Pixels, Sync Width Pixels, and Total Pixels.

5. You can even "Overclock" your monitor refresh rates as well, but only a slight bit.
    Example: I got 70hz vs native 60hz overclock, so 10 more Hz.
    -
    Metanis likes this.
  5. chocster Lorekeeper