A couple sk questions

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by hiolpe, May 19, 2020.

1. hiolpe Journeyman

Are the spite of Ronak/Kra`Du/Mirenilla discs worth using? When I need more defense I usually rotate carapace, mantle, and cursed guardian. I just don't see a situation where these discs are useful. Maybe when carapace, mantle, guardian, epic, leechcurse, deflection, shield flash are all on cooldown?

Also, I was grouping with a mage friend in Kael last night. We're both 114 and he was using earth pet with gmm focus. If I didn't take have a disc or epic effect running, my hp seemed really spiky. Like I could go from 100% to 40% in one round from a giant. I'm in full T1 with all 45+ AC augs and max def aa. 340k hp 7.5k AC buffed. Is this normal for hp to be so spiky without disc or leech effect? Maybe T3 would help once I hit 115. On the other hand, the earth pet health was barely moving without any companion fortification or rune effect. Am I correct in assuming that earth pet can tank better unless the group-geared sk is under epic, leechcurse, mortal coil, discs, etc?

Thanks for any insight.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  2. stisk New Member

Yup - Earth pet will out do ya.
    I`m 470khp buffed, almost 8k ac - I slack in that area and I can't take on more then 3 giants at a time without a disc - ToV especially kael is full of hard hitters, you can easly get killed from 1 giant if your healer slacks on 1 heal ect.

Earth pet with summoner's velium empowered earring can tank the names no problem, he can tank 2-3 mobs at a time with a cleric and shaman healing -

My mage has t1 group gear and summoner's earring - Earth pet
  3. hiolpe Journeyman

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's a little disappointing since everyone says once you gear up/aa a plate tank they will far exceed mage pets. I suppose they forget to mention this only applies when the plate tank is under a disc or there are multiple targets (which to be fair, cycling discs can span a long playtime but not 100% uptime).
  4. Yendar Augur

I have a 115 mage with a group ToV TS earring. The mage earth pet tanks fine but it definitely doesn’t outdo group geared tanks.. not even close.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

It's not that simple. The mage pet you're feeling inferior to is also using mitigation abilities. Mage pets are tough but unbuffed and with no mage pet discs running, they go splat too. Use your tanking discs and feel confident that that impressive earth pet is doing the same, thanks to its master.
  6. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Curious about this as well. It doesn't seem like a particularly useful ability line.
  7. Baeltor New Member

The Spite line I use as an added damage ability more than a defense ability. It is extra damage and an AC debuff proc.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

470khp and 8k ac shows terrible aug choices IMO.

I buff to about 420k hp but have almost 11k ac, and have no real problem tanking way better than a pet.

SKs in my guild solo ToV missions, they can tank like 8-10 mobs easily.
  9. hiolpe Journeyman

Care to link a magelo that buffs to 11k ac? I want this thread to pertain to group-geared ske. I’m group geared and no way I can rank 8-10 ToV mobs or solo missions. I think statements like these overstate how powerful group-geared Sks are.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  10. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Does the lifetap outweigh the -10% melee damage for dps?
  11. Baeltor New Member

After some AA there is no penalty.
  12. hiolpe Journeyman

Which AA?
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If he's in group gear, he's not buffing to 470k hp either though, so I just assumed it was raid gear. As you can get there if you stack Hsta.
  14. Qbert Gallifreyan

I get over 470k hp buffed in full group gear (heroic dex focused (not heroic stamina) no raid anything, no ultra rares, but all 5 evolving from TBL/ToV maxed for the group side), so ya, that's possible. I also have a lot more ac than he mentioned, but ya, the hp is not a huge stretch.
  15. Szilent Augur

could be being a bit disingenuous? if "buffing" includes Aura of Divinity & Dissident Blessing & Glyph of Dragonscales & Spirit of the Bear & Apex of Nature & Pact of the Wolf...?
  16. Szilent Augur

that's the thing yepmetoo was observing, the unevenness
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No you don't. Not unless, as Szilent mentioned, you're talking things like glyphs and other short duration buffs that do not count when you're talking about your stats for someone else to compare, tribute etc. I buff to almost 14k mitigation ac with dragon scales, for example (full ToV raid and maybe 60% done with nuggets).

No tribute, only self buffs and cleric buffs right now, sitting in guild hall, I'm at 421k hp, 10.1/4.1k ac.

Now, if I have guild/self tribute/trophy, cleric aura, ranger buffs, warrior aura, bard, dragon glyphs, pact etc etc then that number becomes ungodly.

But what good is that to someone asking to compare what they should be able to do based off their stats?
    Tsavo and kaedmon like this.