Feedback on the partial Necro DOT revamp

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, May 29, 2020.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Thought it would be a good idea to provide feedback to the dev team on the dot changes they've made thus far.
    My 2 cents....
    -Overall I think they are good although the mana to damage efficiency went backwards. I would have preferred they keep the mana cost to damage per tick ratios the same.
    -It would be helpful to have one line of poison dots that can is set for long duration. Right now the dots worth using are disease, grip & fire (magic hasn't been touched yet). Some mobs have limited spell vulnerabilities so I really think we need a long duration poison dot.
    -Would prefer the wounds line be left as is
    -An instant cannibalize AA hp to mana would be welcome in addition to the other HP to mana AAs we have

At first the dot changes were wreaking havoc on my mana but after some experimentation and doing the math on dot efficiencies this is alot less of an issue. I had to finish some AAs that help with dot damage and invest in some faycite augs but overall I can kill the same mobs with half the dots. For me, I could kill non stop without thinking about mana but now need to pay attention to mana recovery AA timers. The tradeoff is ok for soloing ... I hardly ever group and never raid so can't offer feedback from those perspectives.

From a soloing perspective this change has been good but please consider leaving the wounds line as is.
  2. Ecos New Member

I play on Phinny which is currently in TDS (level 105) so my opinions expressed below are rooted in only that knowledge. I also play a wizard as my main equipped with TDS raid gear. I have a necro box that I only tinker with.

Overall I believe the necromancer DoT revamp is good and moving in the right direction. It definitely reduces the busyness involved in stacking dots to get mobs dead so that's a plus.

I am surprised how little feedback the community as a whole regarding necro changes has been generated. In my experience most of the feedback is by necro players citing the problem of mana cost of their revamped spells, that it is too expensive and that they exhaust their mana pool simply too fast. I would agree as I have the same issue when sustained grinding.

Now as a non-necromancer who raids with necros, I need to point out their raid DPS potential has exploded. At least based on fights in TDS, necros command a dominating lead. If we rewind time back to before the AA "Enhanced Decay" was changed, necros were tier 2 raid DPS. (Yes my opinion) But once that AA was changed to current form, they became competitive with wizards, which at least in my experience, was the top consistent dps class in this era. However with the new changes as of last patch, they've received an outsized boost to their dps potential and have become the far and away top DPS class by a large margin. Obviously things impact this. Fights with many mobs that die in less than 40 seconds, necros suffer greatly, but any event where one or more mobs stay up for the duration of the event, necros can do 30%+ more than all other classes. In essence they've become an outlier on the parsing meters. I worry this will become even greater once magic-based dots get the same treatment as the fire and poison dots.

What I would like to see are two actions taken. First, the AA "Enhanced Decay" needs to be reverted back to original form which extends the DoT duration, and not increase the base DoT damage. Second, reduce the mana cost of the revamped DoTs by ~30%. I think this will lower their burst DPS but simultaneously increase their sustained damage in solo and group content. Just my two cents.
  3. Cadira Augur

People tend to keep things a secret when they are overpowered ;D

Mana issues aside, no one can hold a candle to necros on raids. And where I believe necros should be given a fair shot at #1 on the parse, being their sole job is to dps, the balance is way off. And then considering some of their best dots haven't even been done yet? Things are going to be really outta whack soon.

@devs How about we just listen to the experienced necros who know what the dot revamp should look like instead of making the same mistakes as the last 10 times?
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It wasn't kept a secret. It was posted right here on these forums as soon as it went up on test.
    Cadira likes this.
  5. Cadira Augur

I just mean there wasn't an explosion of feedback in the vets lounge right away with parses etc.

Plus I don't think anyone on test could get an actual realistic raid parse. They just (hilariously) blew up test dummies?
    Sancus likes this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

I'm an ENC. I have long used GoM procs as a way to conserve mana. Necros having to worry about mana for a change makes sense. Not running OOM is a significant factor in separating skilled players from unskilled players. I'm not saying that necro's don't need additional adjustment, but necros never worrying about mana was just as wrong as having to worry about it too much. I have seen necros running oom who have never ran oom before, but I am also seeing those necros doing 200-300% of their previous DPS.
    Skuz, Duder and RPoo like this.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

I've never played a necro beyond level 25-ish. But I group/raid with necros. I like the changes. =)
  8. seber Augur

so fair been happy Neco dot think Dev did good job ,
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What's a Neco?
  10. menown Augur

New York accent maybe?

On topic, I enjoy having to manage mana once again. I don't think we need longer duration DoTs. In contrast to the OP, I think we need shorter duration DoTs. Longer duration DoTs was what led the necro to stacking about 30 DoTs at one point. Having consolidated DoTs but with long durations leads to too much idle time between recasts and inefficient usage when NPC deaths occur surprisingly early.

Wounds absolutely needs to be consolidated. This will be the only DoT line that I will see a nerf due to consolidation because I use more than just the current + past 2 of. Regardless, this line can take 2 debuff slots per cast on raids, 10 total for me.

As far as the perception of people being quiet on the forums, several people, me included, announced how OP the revamp is on test. I linked parses for my guild and streamed my gameplay on live. Everyone has about 1 clear of raids worth of data on live thus far.

One aspect that I do enjoy with the revamp is the use of other spells. DoT lines that were not previously used before and utility spells that never could fit into the DoT heavy spellbar.
    IblisTheMage and Astral64 like this.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

Since clerics no longer have mana issues perhaps the Devs could revisit the twitch from 15 years ago? Only now it would work in reverse to steal cleric mana to give to the Necro! Done right it could also stun the cleric for 5 or 6 seconds too. I would just want the damage inflicted by my mana to count on the parse in my name.
    Tucoh and Vumad like this.
  12. Lelandod New Member

Yea...more proof that not a single Dev raids...they would have immediately seen how busted the revamp made necros.

Although listening to the zerkers in my guild QQ after 10 years of utter supremacy has made it pretty worf.
    Tucoh likes this.
  13. Tucoh Augur

It's ok, necros are going to be OP on the trivial ToV raids until the devs throw another dart at the board right before the next expansion and necros get beat by bards for a few months when it matters.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  14. seber Augur

been less one week all lose your mind over Nec Dots Welcome Last 4year of been Nec after dot update to druld sham and Enc hehee .............
  15. Duder Augur

Seber still cant break 100k dps though =x
  16. Gorehammer Lorekeeper

Did they increase DoT mana cost by 5x for necros like they did with SKs? We, too, are having issues with sustaining pulls over a duration of time with DoT usage. For example, last night I made one pull at full mana and was at 78% mana after 15-20 seconds, raid geared.
  17. Evurkvest Augur

Everything was said after the test patch and years before that. There is really no point commenting when it all gets ignored.
  18. Jolav Journeyman

Necros are killing it.. thats all I can say lol. I am happy for them but it is over the top dps but whatever its been a long time coming :)
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

Happy for necros finally getting the revamp, will likely be quite a few development cycles to land such a fundamental change.