do you think rizlona will last?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by FL!P, May 29, 2020.

1. FL!P Augur

Hey guys, by no means am I instigating anything. And hope you guys will not turn this into a flame session. But how do you guys feel about the longevity of rizlona? If aradune is this hard to get into surely some people are finding refuge on rizlona.

Do you think those people will stay on rizlona once the server que is no longer there?
    Anyone playing on rizlona that could share some feedback of their experience so far?
  2. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Every new server goes great (except that bomb level 85 server) for the 1st few months after that who knows.

Best bet is plan to play somewhere with a goal of enjoyment being in a guild or easier boxing etc.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

I think Rizlona is the only server that has a chance of matching what Phinny has done. Aradune is just another FOTM server.
    Sirene_Fippy and code-zero like this.
  4. Truetotheblue Augur

There's an inherent problem with boxing servers like Rizlona. They have longevity in the sense that giving players freedoms that they don't have on the truebox players and it sets an expectation that reduces toxicity (reduces, not eliminates), since people know there's going to be boxers. The issue is the servers have with longevity though with high population counts is that since you are boxing you're either going to be an extreme case full raid boxer, which exist and that's fine if they want to do that. Let them. But most are going to 6 box. Outside of raids you're going to do your own thing, for the most part. There will be exceptions, but this will be your more average case.

This creates an issue as a result of just how the game works in general. The most gear dependent character is your tank. That will have the greatest impact on what you're able to accomplish outside of raids while you're boxing. So, naturally, most players that play on these servers want to main their tank for raids. There's limited spots for these. So it creates a bottle neck that leads to attrition. A couple of guilds survive, I mean ragefire is still going. But if you look at those guilds still going tanks are full, recruiting lots of other stuff. This hurts the long term potential as a large server like the Manglers etc, but still creates opportunity for those niche situations. It's also great if you want to stick to the group content.

This is just my opinion though and observation, as someone who has boxed previously. This will be different to how some people play the game on these boxing servers and there's nothing wrong there. But I do believe this to be fairly accurate with these boxing servers at the challenges they present.

One alternative would be to make a boxing server that has paired down content. Say raids scale to number of players, along with loot. Something like flex raiding wow introduced. This would incentivize more population on those servers since non-boxers could form solo player guilds, but do small count raids for less loot. This helps by not making guilds reliant on trying to source 50 people and crumble once numbers diminish. People who want to box and do it on their own could also do the same.
  5. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I think Rizlona will go the distance with an active population. If Mangler's population ever crashes, I honestly suspect a fair number would go straight to Rizlona - the people still playing at this point understand the benefits of the original method of EQ boxing and a great many of them are fatigued with having to maintain elaborate and wasteful PC setups. Those who don't share that point of view are already likely on Aradune.
  6. revivin Journeyman

people with box armies do that to gain an advantage which means they want to be boxing where everyone else is not boxing... if your on a server were everyone is there is no advantage and it wont last
    kizant likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ragefire lasted a long time largely due to it being the only option for TLP players who wanted to box, until Rizlona happened.
    Now Rizlona is the only boxing TLP that has AoC enabled.

If it can hang onto that exclusivity for a while due to no subsequent boxing TLP with AoC opening then I think it stands a very good chance of holding onto its players really well and quite deep into the expansions.
    Karango likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's only true for Krono farmers.

Plenty of boxers enjoy the game without being a Krono farmer, otherwise Ragefire/Lockjaw would not still have 6 guilds active, they'd be dead.
  9. Truetotheblue Augur

The problem with this is that AoC are irrelevant deeper into the game. Much of the need for AoC starts to phase out in GoD, and hits its stride a few expansions later. It will likely increase the popularity earlier on due to that fact for sure, but I question if that will really have an impact later on in the life cycle of the server (assuming that it isn't ousted by another TLP). It becomes harder as group content gets more difficult to retain those boxers if they aren't able to keep their relevant classes up to snuff, they lose interest in wanting to play and it slowly bleeds the server. You may be right on this, and I may be looking at it the wrong way. I just really question the AoC thing mattering that much outside of the early few expacs.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

AoC are a quality of life thing that goes fairly deep into the game not just for the initial pass of raiders but also once groups can tackle the content & then later still when people want to solo it.

Things like Seru Mounts / Emperor mounts that players can go get for their alts/boxes etc have some real interest, also some things like Vex Thal when AoC allows people to go back & farm highly desired clickies they may not have gotten on the raids, Abashi from NToV etc. there's a good list of things.
    On servers without AoC some players never get to get those items they wished for and they don't get much opportunity as so many of these things end up perma-camped.
    Truetotheblue likes this.
  11. Kabshaak Journeyman

I think it will last. With the flexibility of being able to add more boxes when population drops, I think it stands a good chance for the long run

I chose Rizlona so that I can finally experience the game past level 65/70
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Fraggly Augur

This is a pretty good description of the main problem Rizlona will likely face. Having a cleric main in raid gear won't mean a thing outside raids in your 6 box group. The tank essentially determines what your crew can handle and while having a geared healer helps, it doesn't help as much as a tank that doesn't die in 6 seconds. An issue on Ragefire was raid geared warriors that basically raid logged, farmed their own stuff, or just took a break from gaming for a bit. With no raid geared warriors around a few knights would try to tank things for fun but the game reaches a point where raid mobs are tuned around the defensive discipline and other warrior perks.

Being a non tank main gets old fast, and plate gear is highly contested which means it won't go to boxes/alts. It might not be an issue for a while, but at some point or another it will cause some pain among those without raid geared tanks in their crew.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  13. Truetotheblue Augur

I think that's all valid for wanting the AoC, thanks for pointing it out. I just still wonder if that is going to be the one thing that's going to make someone want to stick around deeper into the games life cycle. It's a nice QoL thing absolutely, and having some additional things to do and shoot for are great. Just does it add enough value for additional sustainability later on when it's not current, for a sizable portion of the population, is a good question.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Fraggly Augur

I heard rumors that PoP without AoC was a complete nightmare for anyone that wasn't able to poop sock flags. Apparently it is a large reason Lockjaw ended up with much less population, a guild there would go out of their way to prevent anyone else from being able to flag.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Truetotheblue Augur

Don't get me wrong, I think it's absolutely wonderful pre-GoD, and even for some cases after. But handling that post-PoP dip that most servers suffer from is the million dollar question. I think Riz will be in a good spot til then more or less. Just ?? after.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

By the time it became an issue for me on Phinny, since groups were far easier to get up until that point, Mercs were available.

Merc tanks aren't the best but they have so far enabled me to tackle most group-progression content.

(Notable exception being Doomscale Horde which is problematic for many reasons & a Ber/Shm /Brd trio is hamstrung by three problems at the same time, a real tank, or tank pet, Enchanter & Cleric seems to be a requirement you cannot work around on this mission easily).
  17. Gremin Augur

Incorrect, they worked with all the guilds to ensure we got flags.
  18. Truetotheblue Augur

Gremin, I'd be curious to hear your take on this. I'll be honest and say I'm not familiar with DHS, or the circumstances around how long it was on RF or any reasoning behind why it is no longer. But given it sounds like you were there until at least PoP or later, what do you think, based on your experience with RF, will be the long term prognosis for Riz?
  19. Gesiah Elder

I just want to set the record straight. DHS is still active and thriving on Ragefire and we are still killing content. We clear Crystallos weekly and are excited for the upcoming expansion in July!
    Gremin likes this.
  20. Gremin Augur

As Gesiah stated, Ragefire is still going strong as is DHS. I handed Gesiah the reigns of the guild last year before WoW classic came out. My wife, Sindria and I, had grown tired of EQ. The level 70, with 4 expansions, really takes the fun out of the game. I do enjoy the latter expansions but my wife does not, and we all know if your wife isnt having fun neither should you. DHS was originally on Lockjaw, and we stayed there until we beat PoR. Then we server transferred to Ragefire, as we had hoped our recruitment pool would increase. I see Ragefire reaching Live, and I am hoping if the last guild standing on Ragefire does it that its DHS.

As far as Rizlona, I see it reaching live, and I see DHS around a long time again.
    Gesiah likes this.