Ideas for compensation

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, May 27, 2020.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I think you need to pick up a dictionary and look up ad hominem.

Saying that the behavior people are displaying is sad and gauche is something completely different. Its calling a spade a spade.

Every time the servers go down. Every time a patch goes 5 minutes longer than advertised. The same people come on here and post begging/asking/demanding/suggesting free stuff as compensation.

Its just worse this time with all the TLP new members slamming the forums with the same garbage.

This is no different than ordering something at a restaurant, finding ANYTHING to complain about it, and rather than either sucking it up as the reality you sometimes deal with, or asking for the problem to be rectified, you go and ask for your meal to be comped or to get a voucher or a free desert.

And that is gauche. And sad.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Love the passive-aggressive attack.

So you read the title of the thread, ignored the body and content of the original post, and immediately responded with a snarky remark. The original post was tailored narrowly and specifically to "smooth things over." No, I wasn't being ridiculous and asking for "40 cents back" or threatening to "cancel 8 accounts."

We get it. I get it. I've even been called Daybreak/Darkpaw's biggest apologist on the EQ2 forums. But, with two weeks of severe disruptions, it was time to call a spade a spade. This was my first serious post about "compensation" (not for personal fulfilment but to keep the playerbase happy) but broad generalizations is your logical fallacy.
  3. Requiesce Journeyman

You are hilariously self-contradictory. This is no different from ordering at a restaurant? Are you serious?

At yepmetoo's restaurant, you:
    • Pay for a month or year up-front for anything more than a cup of water (subscription)
    • Can be kicked out at any time before or during your meal (server crashes)
    • May take hours or days for your food to arrive (lag, downtime)
    • Will be forced to vomit up a portion of your last meal when they let you back in (rollbacks)
    • Tolerate loitering and theft from customers to other customers (botters)
    • Have a peanut gallery of guests telling you this is expected of any restaurant (you)
    Finding "ANYTHING" to complain about is asking for a free day because of a typo in a quest or an NPC/collectible spawning under the terrain. Asking for a double xp/spawn rate weekend because the game was down ~20% of a month isn't unreasonable by any standard.

Also, I don't know what third world you eat out in, but restaurants DO promise you'll get what you pay for.
    Vumad and eqgamer like this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

An apt analogy would be technical issues at a movie theater:

You purchase the movie ticket but:

• The 2 hour movie malfunctions and is cut by 20 minutes.
    or
    • The movie image is projected but the sound does not work.
    In either case, it is not good sense for the theater to tell those customers to "eat it" or "deal with it." The theater would risk losing those customers.

It's easy for diehard EQ players to stick around, but you don't want to lose professionals or casuals (many of those folks did not buy lifetime subs) who can turn to EQ's generous F2P model due to extended outages.

Remember how the servers crashed when the Derakor raid was released? These problems affect everyone...
  5. xxGriff Augur

Where does the post state "need"? an apology was once a common and a civil means of showing empathy. I would suggest therapy to anyone who simply attacks based on their entarwebs perceptions. sure, when there is some perceived slight or petty peeve, make reference to a mental health issue and bully on. this thread should be locked as it is simply not moving any kind of discourse. it is post and flame. I am certainly glad DPG got things back and for an apology, the information shared here and in Discord to let us know throughout the downtime. it is nice to know ignore works here too.
    Vumad likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would expect we would have several years after they stop making expansions for the game before they even think about that and they would likely wait until the servers had merged down and the player base wasn't large enough to support it. Even after expansions end I think the TLP servers would help keep it afloat longer.
  7. Pawtato Augur

TLPs need like 2 staff members, 1 for the server rules and 1 to rename the 40 slots bag bundles. Easy money.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Uh huh.

Anyone that feels to need to announce they are ignoring someone is most likely not ignoring them and doing it just for attention anyway. Later tater.

And yes, people have been spamming the forums demanding an apology and compensation like entitled brats. Sorry that you felt it was targeting you, but that must be a guilty conscience. /shrug
    code-zero likes this.
  9. divirgmar Lorekeeper

How about a one time per account, non transferrable, incrementally tiered, purchase of loyalty tokens with DB cash for gold and silver accounts? gold accounts can purchase more per tier.
  10. dreadlord Augur

When people talk about 'entitled brats' they are usually referring to those types who think the world owes them x or y just because they exist., not folk who have paid for a thing and want the thing
    If I pay for a or b and expect to get it - does that really make me an 'entitled brat'? I've never heard of paying customers being referred to as such except where they behave especially badly - eg demand a free dinner in the restaurant because the parsley garnish was missing. people here are not upset about a parsley garnish.

I think I'm a bit old to be a 'brat' but entitled - sure. I am entitled to what I pay for. If that doesn't apply to you, let me tell you about this mansion I can sell you for the current balance in your bank account....
  11. dreadlord Augur

Not sure I get this one
    Loyalty tokens (that useless currency that everyone has maxed and never uses) - we get to buy more with DB cash which is actually, occasionally, useful? Or did you mean the other way round?
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because you pay and it isn't exactly as you expect doesn't mean you are entitled to anything. That is exactly the problem that people expect compensation just because something doesn't live up to their expectations. You are paying for an all access membership which includes Everquest, Everquest 2, PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online and not just for a specific server on a specific. Sure that may be all that you care about but that is not what you are paying for.
    Nennius and Cicelee like this.
  13. KarmaKitty Augur

They should give out a new non re-chargeable clickies which reset your lesson timer.

10 charges gives you 5 hours of 100% experience bonus at your convenience. Short duration makes it much easier to work into ones schedule and not conflict with lesson burns.
    Vumad and Metanis like this.
  14. dreadlord Augur

There have been so many examples on here, but people don't seem to get it. I pay for a thing. It's not about it being 'exactly as I expect' - it's about it being unavailable through someone's negligence. I am old enough to have belonged to enough organisations to be confident I am not being naive in thinking that if you make a thing I have paid for unavailable for a protracted amount of time, something should happen. This isn't a 5 minutes here or there - it's not trivial mounts of time we're talking about. For eg,a gym I was a member of had to close suddenly because a member of staff got the pool chemicals wrong. It was shut for 36 hours. We all got an extra week's membership by way of apology - offered with no fuss.
    I am *not* paying for a bunch of other games. If I order steak and you choose to add tomato and lettuce etc, that's fine - I don't care. But if the steak arrives without any steak - am sure as hell am not going to be happy to pay for tomato and lettuce. I ordered EQ - end of.

Just maybe it boils down to this is much more important to some of us than others.
    Some folk take a passing interest in football. For others it's their whole lives. They care very very much about being able to see their team and will cross hell and provebial high water to be able to do it. Loads of folk have just said 'ah well I went and did x instead' - you tell a football fan he can go watch tv instead of attending the big match and expect him to be happy?
    Vumad and Marton like this.
  15. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

It's more like the game they got tickets to got rained out and moved to the next day. The majority of people will just show up the next day and still enjoy it, some people will throw a fit and be mad.

The majority of EQ players are back playing and enjoying it, some are still mad. See the similarities?
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In fairness, this analogy would be apropos if the All Access timer froze during downtime.

I think a lot of people (myself included) are forgiving.

The issue is these crashes, downtime, and lag are becoming more commonplace.

It wasn't limited to the last two weeks. Remember the server-wide crashes during the Derakor raid release?

Of course, I won't be ridiculous and beg for petty amounts. But, they can smooth things over with the playerbase (which is actually quite the apologist' position).
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I was the first to argue that All Access covers other games in the Daybreak portfolio.

Beyond the legalities, the issue is crashes, downtime, and lag are becoming so commonplace that they may need to smooth things over with the playerbase sooner or later (which is actually quite the apologist' position).
  18. eorzea Journeyman

I would like another server to come up and allow ppl to transfer from aradune to there with a extra 40slot bag if you bought 1 and 7days of 50% exp bonus with extra gm's looking for the bot armies :)
  19. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Prostitutes

There are a lot of useless NPCs roaming around. Surely some of them could be programed to give a weary traveler a good time with the right coin of course. Dwarves and halflings work for cheap. The humans, high elves and wood elves especially you have to pay dearly for. And the barbarians and trolls... they will break you for free

(only to make the next video more tangible)
  20. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

yepmetoo is the worst of the worst darkpaw apologists. Just ignore. Probably a paid shill anyway.
    dreadlord likes this.