More Expansion /claim Value for TLP Players

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by LDEffectsMe, May 28, 2020.

1. LDEffectsMe Augur

Hey all. I was thinking about more ways to support EverQuest development financially as a TLP player, and not someone who plays at the end game of Live.

I'm sure that tons of art assets are spent on each new expansion. From what I've gathered from reading the forums, Torment of Velious added new Velium weapons, and I would assume new art. Would it be possible to take the art for these news weapons and turn them into Ornaments for each weapon type, and package them into the /claim for each expansion? It would be very nice to be able to use some of the art and cosmetic items from the expansion, even if you're probably never going to be able to play in that content.

With this, I would also like to ask that all cosmetic /claim items (illusions, etc.) be changed to give 999 copies. Several players at this point play on multiple servers (due to annual TLP servers) and it really sucks to claim a "once per account" illusion on a character that will be abandoned when you move to the next server. I completely understand bags and stuff being a once per purchase deal, but you can't repurchase an entire expansion, so you lose those cosmetics forever if you abandon that toon.

The current system leaves little reason for a TLP player to buy an expansion (other than maybe the bag, but that's still really expensive just for a one and done bag) and this system leaves a lot of people like me leaving /claim items unclaimed FOREVER because you're afraid of claiming them on the "wrong" character that you won't play until the end of time.

TLDR; Please make expansion related weapons into Ornaments that can be claimed at any level on any server, and increase the number of all cosmetic items to 999 (no more one and done cosmetics, please) so you don't feel compelled to hoard them forever or lose them when you change to a new TLP server.
  2. Zamiam Augur

post in the correct forum .. this is mainly about TLP's ..and no they dont need to make illusions 999 I already have enough items in my /claim window of 999 I do not need more ..
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/time-locked-progression-servers.21/
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. LDEffectsMe Augur

It's not about TLPs. It's about the current end game expansions and the rewards they offer. I'm aware of the TLP forums, but Torment of Velious isn't a TLP expansion. ;)

I can see how it would be a huge burden for you to scroll through the /claim window when you have to open it maybe once a year... But for the rest of us, I think we'd appreciate the extra value for our money. And we'd have a reason to pay for the expansion, which would fund... You know, future content, that you (as in Live players) like to play, and we probably never will.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No skin off my back if they would let TLP people claim the bags. If they want to buy a premium expansion they won't use just to have a big bag, let 'em.
  5. Chopin.Xegony Augur

Shouldn't this be posted in the TLP section of the forums?
  6. Smallhands Elder

LDEffectsMe: It's not about TLPs.

Also LDEffectsMe: [Thread Title] More Expansion /claim Value for TLP Players [/Thread Title]
  7. feeltheburn Augur

TAKE YOUR TLP POST ELSEWHERE like the right place.. TLP caused enough misery for the rest of the player base and servers.
  8. LDEffectsMe Augur

Yes, that is in the title. But the expansion is a Live expansion, and the post is about giving more players an incentive to buy it, if they aren't at end game.

I'm not sure what the undue hostility is about, but the TLP player base is now about 50% of the total EverQuest population (as per Holly Longdale's own words on the EverQuest Show) and if by "causing misery for the rest of the player base" you mean helping to keep a 21 year old game alive... I guess you're right.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  9. feeltheburn Augur

no, your topic is for TLP players having a incentive to buy....TLP players aren't interested in the live game as you so eloquently like to infer, or they would be playing it. Nostalgia , easy mode and rehashing the game as it was played years prior is what it's about there, please don't even attempt the hogwash of them keeping the game alive....as server stability suffers to punch out more for them to play on. Take it down the road man and don't try to put lipstick on a pig.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Everytime they make a change for th TLP servers it effects live, because of the TLP servers we are now stuck with the awful original graphics which they upgraded and then reversed when they created TLP servers.

Many complain about original graphics, they improved them and then replaced them.....and you wonder why the live player base is hostile.

Personally I think they rewards for purchasing new expansions should be used in said expansion. It makes no sense having icey coldain when they don't have the ice, the same with other icy illusions and mounts.
  11. code-zero Augur

Too much effort is wasted catering to TLP players who seem to be prone to rage quitting and burnout if the stuff they post in these forums is any indication
  12. LDEffectsMe Augur

Well, I can't speak for everyone who plays on TLP servers, but I personally hate the original model graphics and wish they would let us choose to use the new ones in the old zones. You know, add the ugly wolf and bear models (etc.) to the same toggle that lets you choose Luclin vs. Classic models. Just because a select group of TLP players asked for something, that doesn't mean everyone wanted or liked those changes. The first TLP I ever really played on was Mangler, and I don't intend to go to Aradune or Rizlona.

I guess I could get the argument about not having icy coldain in hot environments, but even in the classic game, enchanters could become water elementals in the desert of Ro, or in Solusek A+B. I think that the illusions are largely used to entice people to buy the expansions who otherwise wouldn't. Typically, the bag attached to the expansion is usable on every server and so is the illusion. So some people buy the expansion knowing that's the only features they'll ever use.

But, I mean, whether you play Live or TLP (and I'm sure there's someone who does both, right?) more money for EverQuest is a good thing, right? Even the folks who get mad about the constant crashes and server downtime... Certainly they'd rather the game be healthy than on its death bed, right? When Holly Longdale was asked how much longer EverQuest had, the answer was "at least 10 more years" but I'd think that largely depends on the money. With proper incentive, I have no qualms about handing over an extra $80 per year for an expansion, just knowing it helps keep EQ out of maintenance mode. Because even as someone who is limited to the TLP servers now, I like that active development is still happening. I guess I like thinking that one day I can somehow catch up to the Live game and new things will still be on the horizon.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Nah, TLP is a gold mine.

Everytime they release new servers a huge number of people come back to EQ, re-sub, buy packs and then many buy kronos to pay for items. DPG probably would never release a breakdown but I wouldn't be surprised if EQ funding is getting carried by TLP at this point.
  14. Riou EQResource

Holly did mention in interviews last year that since TLP's have started they have increased EQ Revenue by 50% (so it's 1/3 of the total pie now), no indication if this is growing or staying flat though, while population is supposed to be about even.

So Live players are spending 1.5x more per year on average (Idk the average Expansion price people buy, but it either is mostly just this or also this + more on marketplace in general)

You could likely also just see based on how much attention they give TLP's vs Live throughout the entire year that it should be roughly that break up of time (1/3 TLP vs 2/3 Live)
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I think that whole figure is incredibly misleading. Is that 1/3 that is TLP those who solely play on the TLP servers, or is it those who play on both as well as those who only play on the TLP servers? Is that the assumed revenue split of the playerbase split? If it is a playerbase split, then I would wager that the revenue split is even more heavy towards Live as those players are the ones who are also buying the expansions which have had higher price options added for expansions during that same period of time. And typically TLP server players don't have any need to buy new expansions. That's why anytime that a company mention numbers, especially in marketing adjacent comments, I take what is said with a grain of salt.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. LDEffectsMe Augur

I would imagine that figure is calculating XP pots and stuff that are purchased and on which servers. They can tell where those items are being claimed. And they probably automatically consider any of the $40 bag packs to be TLP purchases, since those packs are designed with TLP players in mind. Just my best guess though.

They typically also make the current expansion bag /claim-able on TLP servers, so some "whales" will spend extra money on the expansion just for an extra 40 slot bag.
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I thought that XP potions like almost all other Marketplace items were hidden behind a specific expansion's release. Also, if they are going to attribute the XP potion purchases by where they are claimed, the same standard should apply to the bag pack purchases, where you claim this is what should matter. I doubt that there are anywhere near enough TLP "whales" buying the higher end expansion versions just for the bag to push those numbers. But then, I also think that a lot of those "whales are more likely people who play both on the TLP servers and on Live. They don't need the bag on live that much at this point so using it on the TLP server to help with their farming makes sense.