130m Queue times for Aradune....Yea...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Riolas, May 28, 2020.

1. Velerin Journeyman

This is pretty annoying. I expected launch day to be a mess but still 2+ hour login times now. People love to call people "whiners" for not being patient. It's just a game. No rush, etc. But a lot of people, myself included really love that new server feel. Everyone in rags, no economy yet. Excited about getting cloth drops and cracked staffs. It really only lasts about a week before all the higher stuff starts trickling down, twinks emerge etc. and then its never the same and it becomes one of the other generic TLP031856 servers.
    Izzo likes this.
  2. wade_watts Augur

I know this might sound like a crazy concept but bear with me.. What if.. and again, bear with me here.. what if they provided a service, and this might sound totally crazy.... that was capable of meeting the demand that is generated?? I know... it's crazy right?

I guess I've not visited your country in which artificial caps are put on everything and you are just expected to deal with it. Like when I search on google.com but I have to wait for someone else to finish searching first. Or when I pay for netflix but I can only use it when it's my turn to watch a movie.

You sitting here defending an absolute dumpster fire of a server launch with token comments like "well what did you expect?". Get real. I expected to be able to play a game with my current and future friends without mass frustration, zero product communication, and a patchwork of guessing and voodoo theories about how to actually navigate this launch.
    Izzo likes this.
  3. Sikkun Augur

That’s nice. The servers can’t maintain more people. Hell they already have issues with the number of people on them after it dies down.

They are not fake caps, they are caps that exist for a reason. But open the flood gates and crash the server! I’m sure wade_watts won’t be posting asking wtf the server crashed.

Blizzard with their billions more revenue than DPG had long queues for weeks on WoW classic, but zomg I paid for something and it’s not working right away. Yeah we expected this and so did you. Because it’s literally how every online game server launch goes.
  4. Megamega New Member

Is this a trick question?....rent more rooms?

If I have 5000 people waiting to use my business, and I'm only serving 100 of them, not only am I losing money, I'm driving a lot of those people away when they figure out I'm never going to rent more rooms.

EQ server capacity is not finite, or difficult to expand. You could have room for a million people if it was needed. Ineptitude is at the root of this, not some arbitrary imposed limit.
  5. Sikkun Augur

So then you want them to launch multiple servers, spread out the community, and hope they actually merge them back together? That’s fine as long as people actually realize what they are asking for. Because capacity of a single server is not infinite.
  6. DamastaShonuff Journeyman

This. I cant believe in this day and age, a gaming company has X amount of servers and just says to hell with it when they hit that capacity. Any company with half a brain would have either extra servers to bring up or go through a third party company that specializes in providing servers for these exact situations. With the pick system there is no reason everyone cant be playing. The only bottleneck should be the login/character creation process itself. Once past that, the pick servers should be taking care of the overpopulation.
  7. DamastaShonuff Journeyman

Its not like EQ is some high quality cutting edge graphics and game play. Why cant their servers handle this load? Are they using the same ones they started with 20+ years ago?
  8. wade_watts Augur

Other than - "it is what it is and you shouldn't be unhappy", what are you proposing? Just to and deal with it? I'm not going to be apologetic about asking a company to deliver a viable product when they've collected money to play on it. I'm not even anti-queue, but at least provide some communication and status about the queue, the plan to ease it over time. How to use it, etc.

Are your expectations really that low that this seems inappropriate?
  9. DamastaShonuff Journeyman

I dont mind a queue either, but over 2 hours is far outside of being acceptable. Especially when crashes happen.
  10. Sikkun Augur

They are using the same codebase that was built 21 years ago. They have tons of memory problems with how the game was originally designed (servers were designed for way less people). Devs talk about the memory management issues a lot around expansion time. Graphics has nothing to do with it, that’s all handled on your machine. The problems are database infrastructure that was designed 20 years ago and clearly doesn’t scale well. If you could just shove more RAM in you would. We already know that when there are too many people a server will crash and if there are too many picks a server will crash.

Solutions? Probably rewrite the entire database system, but likelihood of that happening? Near 0.
  11. Trizek Augur

You guys aren't the only ones paying to play. You're not the only ones trying to play here. There is a massive group of others trying to play right now, issues are going to happen. Yet for some reason you think because you payed for this service that you should be fed with a golden spoon.

There are understanding customers, and there are entitled pricks like yourself. Go on and continue complaining. Nothing will change until the population eases off like it always does and always has. I'm sorry you expect the perfect world as a paying customer, s&%t happens.
  12. Orzulth Journeyman

Correction: Nothing will change. Period. Because Daybreak and affiliates are a joke of a company that don't know how to run a service. They care about money and nothing else. Unless people actually do start unsubbing they just don't care.

Now I'm not saying that I will be unsubbing, and I'm not just trying to complain. I'm just stating a common fact of practically all big businesses. Until you hit their wallet, you are just a background voice.
  13. Zigie Journeyman

So is this average wait time in EQ time or real earth people time?
    It's funny I TRIED to log in back at 9am, it told me average wait time was 94 mins. It is now 3:50 PM.
    That seems like a really LONG time to have to be waiting for 94 mins.

Some other questions, I've never hit the OK button for fear of losing my place in the Q.

Some addition information on the popup box while waiting would be nice. Like does Pressing the OK button at the bottom of the maximum capacity box exit you out of the waiting Q? If you press OK and go back to server select after some time you may get disconnected and have to start all over. If you remain on the popup box is the game able to log you in or do you have to press OK and see all the servers to be able to be logged in? again does pressing the OK on the popup box remove you from the Q? Some more INFO from the makers of the game would be sooo excellent so the players have a clue.
  14. Thygrym Elder

You eliminate (or at least ease) the queue by actively booting afk characters off the server. If it's too much work, then set the server to reboot every so often which removes all the AFK players.