It's almost like you're giving your playerbase the middle finger...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rakazik, May 27, 2020.

1. Rakazik New Member

Please tell me why in the hell you brought down the servers AGAIN, after they were brought down and investigated previously for the same issue?
    I'm sorry...But this is absolute garbage. All this downtime, and all we get are these half- one-liner vague explanations from you. This has been going on for over two months of random f*ckery, and it's beginning to become a habitual failure on your part. This is unacceptable. Whatever corporate change you guys made, whether it be lay-offs, or change of whatever - You need to revert it, because your business is becoming pure s*%&. And all we get is the /shrug and expected to suck it up. Completely ridiculous.

Quote:
    dreamweaverCommunity Manager
    New
    [UPDATE] We are investigating the issue with all servers that began around 8 PM PDT, we will update with more information once an ETA is available.
  2. strikemaster Journeyman

How much longer is this crap going to go on. How many days has this happened in the last couple of weeks? Heck, even the constant EQ apologists are starting to get tired of it. Either that or they have been laid off from the company. Anyone PAYING for this is getting pissed off and ON
    Dwimmerlaike, Xyphen and Zee_Rex like this.
  3. Rakazik New Member

4. ghost27m New Member

My SUB ends in like 10 days. This is a 21 year old game. No reason for this. If its not perfect for the remaining 10 days I will just go back to private servers. I am only here because an old navy buddy wanted me to play. We played from 99 to 2004 so I just wanted to relive the glory days. I can laterally fire up my del R710 server and host 300 players before bandwidth gets shakey.
  5. Lachnar Elder

I like the gm and dev impartiality that comes with here as opposed to private servers where, unless you're a part of it, there is always a favored group the devs cater to. But, I might head back and give it another go if I literally cannot play here more than half the time I have available to play.
    Zee_Rex likes this.
  6. Jimmy2times Elder

No man they are giving you the thumbs up.
  7. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Lets calm down everyone. As much as I have been negative about the downtime as well or more to the point the acceptance of them from some of the player base, these things happen. In no way is DB doing this on purpose. The last thing they want is to upset their fan base, especially their paying customers as that is what pays their bills. They are not giving anyone the middle finger and working as hard as they can to fix the situation.

Could this of been done better, as in trial and error and dev notes for the last twenty some odd years? I'd say yes. But it also has twenty some odd years worth of coding. I am not here to tell any one they should sub or to keep their sub. If you are truly unhappy then do not pay. However please do not think they are doing this on purpose to upset anyone. I am sure they will resolve the issue soon and we can all go back to playing the game we love.
    Coagagin and Kovachs like this.
  8. InsidiousBeing2 New Member

One could argue that having the same catastrophic crashes/errors on every launch day, with random crashes/lag/server issues sprinkled in between them is, in some way, being done on purpose. If you're ignoring the mistakes of the past, if you're not learning, planning and CHANGING the way you do things from one failure to the next, are you not then, in fact, choosing to fail?

People keep throwing this "20 year old code" comment out there like its a trump card that explains away everything - it doesn't. Project 1999 servers are using the same ancient code and do not have *any* of these issues. It's not the 20 year old code that's the problem, it's the piss poor current code that's been patch-worked into it since Darkpaw got their hands on it.

One could also argue they've had several years to clean up, optimize, and refactor that code. Instead, time was spent building up the DB store, adding gimmicky servers to keep people feeling like new things are happening, and trying to get more revenue with a fairly lazy expansion IMO.

Yes, it's a 20 year old game.. but you're paying the same for it as you would for a current MMO, even the expansion costs. With that in mind, do you really feel like their up time, customer service, support is on par with anything else you've *ever* played?

I don't think anyone is expecting miracles here, but when the only consistency you're being given from a company, one you're paying for a service they are supposed to be supplying, is failure - it does make you question where the money is going.
  9. Zamiam Augur

Everyone start saving your money I foresee a lifetime membership sale coming in late Nov/Dec or more probable just after the new year ..
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  10. Zamiam Augur

oh btw even if they offered one I would not be buying it .. who wants a lifetime sub of crash's , unscheduled maintenance and emergency patches ..
  11. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

P99 is stuck in Trilogy as far as I am aware of. That is way different than having dozens of expansions to worry about something breaking. They also only have two or three servers at max and I doubt they have any where near the player base official EQ does. It's just not a fair comparison. And I highly doubt they run a completely "clean" ship as well. They have problems for sure. The scale might be different, but so too is the content and the amount of work that goes into it.

Personally I would of liked them to stay at the Classic price of $9.99 which if you pay for a whole year it comes out to that. Of course back then paying for a whole year would be even less in the long run, but that is neither here nor there. Either they thought the more content they churned out the more they should be paid or that because the new kids on the block were charging more for their games, they better do so as well to seem as competent I do not know. But it is what it is.

I have no question where the money is going. As I said before it is not like they are trying to purposely upset customers which in turn will only make them lose money. I am understanding your frustration. Look at any number of other threads where I will argue with others until we are blue in the face in what is expected of a company or what our rights as players are. But I can not concede that they are doing this to hurt anyone or to give us the finger.
  12. Moege Augur

Almost ? Think you typed that in error.
  13. Moege Augur

That always make me cringe every time someone brings it up. My current job is maintaining a product that is 28 years old ! Difference is that it got upgraded and maintained throughout the years, the code base is massive and rock solid. We have customers that only bring it down when they really want a new feature that was implemented. Dev team is smaller than daybreak's and yes there is yearly changes needed as new regulations comes out. Some of those changes is a rewrite of module and not just a small patch either.

But hey lets say it is the 20 year old code....
  14. Alena Elder

^^ THIS!
    I regularly feel sick when I hear people here talking about the "oh so old code base" and that the poor company Darkpaw doesn't have any money. Where do the dreamers get their data from anyway? For the umpteenth time, it has been listed how many millions Darkpaw/DGB makes, into which pockets of which managers the money ends up, instead of into capable professionals who at least put the foundation of EQ on a stable footing. Servers are rented and they are not so expensive that you can't afford to spend the money to run testbenches. But unfortunately we live in the age of beta testers. The filth that is programmed today is so much of the rudimentary base ramshackle and the user is the willing beta tester and the excuses are as numerous as in any other area where incompetence reigns. The same goes for the alleged rights or legal expertise of some wise guys here. If you live in a country where customer protection is obviously scarce, I wouldn't be surprised. But many come from Europe, they have probably forgotten our laws.

I remember the times of VHDL/Verilog some decades ago. One wrong shot and 500.000,- went down the drain. Wouldn't be the way to code today as costy as in the old days, we wouldn't be the guinney pigs for coders.

So much incompetence, I'd be bankrupt with my company long ago if I worked like this...
  15. coffeeislife New Member

Completely agree. I love Everquest, and I like the progression servers and live, but I am not going to pay for this again until I see 1 month go by without "unexpected" downtime. It's just not acceptable service. P99 runs better, with a lower ping for me (I know 200-220 ms isn't a bit deal in eq, but it's still awful). I'll stick to P99, Darkpaw is showing less respect for their users than any other company I've ever seen. I'm a developer myself, and I have never worked at a company that would find this level of service acceptable - they'd go out of business. Watched one of the few remaining streamers/content creators for Everquest last night as he tried to get him and his friends into the new servers. It's a joke. They ended up playing on test. Went on twitch, a few streamers had Everquest marked as the game they're playing, and you jump on to their streams and just see them sit there staring at discord. How does that look to any potential new users? Existing users are used to this, which is bad enough, but there's no way this game is going to be able to limp along much longer without much more support and respect from the company lucky enough to have the license. Clean your house Darkpaw, or please just sell this license to someone else.
  16. Ibudin Augur

Could probably handle a few 100 players to quit, raids been too full lately, benches too deep. I 100% agree with you on the game being shut down randomly through out the week and irritating you, show them you mean business and cancel out those accounts!!
  17. Fightmilk Lorekeeper

Remove the word "almost", and you're spot on, OP.
  18. Cicelee Augur

The title made me chuckle out loud at work. Click bait at its finest!
  19. Broozer Augur

Credit where credit is due: OP used both "you're" and "your" in the title, and the grammatical usage was correct!
    Marton and Nennius like this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

LOL.

You guys are hilarious. Calm yourselves. It's a game. An inexpensive one at that.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and yepmetoo like this.