Is an apology really that hard?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Smederick, May 27, 2020.

1. Smederick New Member

I understand things happen and the servers sometimes go down and need repairs, however in reference to last weeks 36 hour down time I never once saw an apology by Darkpaw, Daybreak or whoever owns the game now. Would it have been so hard to create a server-wide message that each player sees at login saying something like "We apologize for the extended down-time, we had unforeseen issues that took longer than expected." The reason I say this should be an in game notification is because not all people come to the forums.

Instead what we got was a vain attempt at humor, something to the effect of "A dragon melted the server."

I am by no means saying this was the fault of the company, but what I am saying is that apologizing for something that happened on your watch goes a long way with the community.
  2. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I mean, a thread was just locked with only a message of "that devolved quickly" when the OP basically called their management of the game servers garbage lol... I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of these clowns.
  3. Moak The Most High

Yeah I saw the "that devolved quickly" comment- all that shows is how much the one that made the comment- Dreamweaver- gives a rip about the player base
    lockjaws likes this.
  4. Tanise Elder

The community relations person can't be bothered to actually tell us whats going on and you expect them to apologize?

You'll have better luck asking what kind of ice cream they like....
    lockjaws likes this.
  5. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

As soon as the game comes up you'll go right back to getting your fix, this post will be deleted and you won't even remember it.
  6. Requiesce Journeyman

That's funny. I was running that same thought experiment no more than 5 minutes before the servers crashed again.

Pretty hard to forget something they keep fresh in the mind.
    lockjaws likes this.
  7. Rhaane New Member

Do you want them to tell you that they have no idea what is going on and are scrambling to put a band-aid on it and scoot by until things happen again in a few days? The likely real answer is to redo the entire game, but we are so far down the rabbit hole that it isnt feasable and is way too expensive. So the team probably takes to drinking, pills and holding it all together as best they can.. or will.
    lockjaws likes this.
  8. Foolery97 New Member

I think they stopped doing Customer Service type stuff around the time WoW came out. Its more about milking the hardcore fanbase thats still around now. Morons like me dropping 70 bucks on bags and ready to drop however much more into the station store for clickys on Aradune.
  9. lockjaws Augur

AKA Brad.
    Ssmiter likes this.
  10. Triconix Augur

Celephane and Elyssanda like this.
  11. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

12. Smederick New Member

No I won't forget it. This post is actually one I wanted to make after the 36 hr down time last week. It is the little things like this that actually stick with us. Like when you go to a fast food joint and for once you get the trifecta of great service, great food and a great atmosphere. You remember those times and the next time you are thinking of where to eat that place comes to mind and you go eat there again (and pray you get the same experience). It is the bad that we tend to forget. Sure we complain right away and throw up out hands in furry, but then in a week you forgot why you were made, who you were mad at and why you kicked the dog.

What ever happened to showing people that you respect them, their time and their money? Heck if you were in a crowded room and someone bumped into you and caused you to bump into someone else would you not say excuse me to the person you hit? Was it your fault, no but an apology did not ruin your day, but it sure could have made someone else day better.

I love how people go straight to the addiction analogy. I pay to play a game, I play the game. I work full time and like to unwind after work playing a game. Others may smoke weed, drink alcohol, smoke meth or whatever they do to unwind. I am not so unreasonable to call for a credit to my account when I can't play, but is it unreasonable to ask for an apology? Heck if I went to my crack dealer and he just sold the last rock to someone he is going to say something along the lines of "Oh man I'm sorry I just ran out, I'll get you next time." So even our drug dealers know the basics of an apology.
    eqgamer and lockjaws like this.
  13. Smederick New Member

14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

brand new servers would be nice and bigger trader bags!

Andarriel
  15. Smederick New Member

How about just an apology? We don't need "free stuff" its an inconvenience not like they got you your order wrong and you wasted gas to returned to get it fixed.
  16. Requiesce Journeyman

I'm so tired of spending hour after hour contending with bot teams over named, then for the server to go down, then to be rolled back on the named loot I spent hours trying to get, then to log in dead.

This is pathetic.
    Xyphen and Elyee like this.
  17. PhinigelKronoFarmer Journeyman

Apologizing would imply they did something wrong or messed up. They're not going to admit that.. there is no accountability. You're not going to get an apology from this company.
    Elyee likes this.
  18. Bruzum Grobbfist Journeyman

why don't you try something else? im assuming it's the same reason as any of us; but if you're that tired of every little thing on here, why not just try to do something else?
  19. Coagagin Guild house cat

One word: Locked. (Again). Well, that would be two words. Meh. Gotta do the day job in the morning. Nighters!

- Coag
  20. Trafthek Lorekeeper

Why would they apologize, it's only a potential issue with all servers. They won't even admit there is a problem.