Fixed Internally The ZEMs are inconsistent across servers

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by nestharus, May 25, 2020.

1. nestharus Journeyman

This is just a sample of the inconsistency. This accounts for server multipliers and any event bonus multipliers.

[Firiona Vie] Warsliks Wood ZEM: 140%
    [Mangler] Warsliks Wood ZEM: 100%
    [Phinigel] Cabilis East ZEM: 38%
    [Mangler] Cabilis East ZEM: 100%

It would be very nice if all of the servers got the same treatment that Mangler got for their ZEMs so that the baseline ZEMs of the zones are consistent across servers regardless of age.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Live servers have a baseline 1.0 XP rate.
    Firiona Vie has 1.5 baseline XP rate.
    Test Server has 2.0 XP rate.
    Phinigel has 1.0 baseline XP rate (as of TSS)
    Mangler XP should not yet be live rate as it shouldn't be until TSS that they get to 1.0 baseline XP
    Right now we have a 50% xp rate bonus for Memorial Day.

Even if you accounted for the above, your sample size is still a bit too small.
    minimind, Yinla and Barton like this.
  3. Prathun Developer

Verified that there's a bug (defunct 2013 hotzone functionality) that's increased the ZEM in Warslik's on non-Progression servers.
    Skuz and Wulfhere like this.
  4. Catashe Augur

Honestly and Truthfully... Does it REALLY matter if you fixed this? Who goes to Warsilk Woods on any server anyways? Even on a progression server lol
  5. Trinost Journeyman

how exactly does one even calculate ZEM? I know I might be coming cross as stupid asking but I rly don't know and would like to know please.
  6. Prathun Developer

Honestly and Truthfully with a capital T, was it only worth looking into a reported bug with experience gain when we didn't know that it was a lingering bug with the nearly-decade-old-and-no-longer-used hot zone system?
    Herf and Skuz like this.
  7. Ltldogg Augur

Thanks for fixing this Prathun. I play Original, Kunark, SoV and PoP content all the time with my myriad of characters on many different servers; it is the content I love. I am currently playing on Vox and just hit 50 and have been all over Kunark including WW, for hours doing Iksar Monk quests with my human monk after spending 5 days to get full warm faction with Legions of Cabilis and Swift Tails. All content should be kept updated.
    Skuz, Wulfhere and minimind like this.
  8. Ngreth Thergn Developer

ZEM is stored data on the zone, as part of normal EXP processing, it pulls that data and applies it.
    This wasn't actually a "ZEM" mod, but a scripted EXP mod for an old hotzone with a "not if progression" check.
  9. Lachnar Elder

Yes, it is a valid question. With many other, seemingly more serious and player experience impacting issues in play, is this really worth the oh so scarce dev time? The lack of your guys' time is the reason we keep being given that so much stuff cannot be addressed or implemented.
  10. LDEffectsMe Augur

Seems to me that it's at the dev's discretion what they have time to address and when. If it's a simple matter of looking at a table and changing a number, then hitting "Save" I don't think it costs much dev time. The couple of minutes that were likely spent fixing this issue probably wouldn't have been able to achieve most of the other "more serious" fixes with the same amount of time and resources.

Your question is almost like saying if the devs aren't doing something broad sweeping and super time consuming, they shouldn't bother at all. Dev time isn't a resource that gets expended like fuel... In theory there is an infinite amount of time for them to work on EQ, and it's just a matter of what projects they choose to tackle and in which order.
    Yinla and minimind like this.
  11. Prathun Developer

Yes. It was worth looking into a reported problem with inconsistent experience results across different servers. And once the bug was identified it was worth the 2 seconds it took to fix it.
  12. LDEffectsMe Augur

But with that 2 seconds you could have done something more to address the numerous, ambiguous, issues that EverQuest allegedly has. You know, like clicked on a shortcut to open a program that you could have used to do something... And then that precious dev time would have been better expended waiting for that program to load. :D
    EQ Dev likes this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Or he could have made a cup of coffee......
    LDEffectsMe likes this.