[Feature] Block grey con mob summon

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, May 23, 2020.

1. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Can you elaborate a little more please. That would be a good forum name though. "Mr Wonderful" too! ^^!

"Would you trade corpse run for block grey con mob summoning?"
  2. Angahran Augur

Been there, done that for many years.
    I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Simply remove the unresistable flag from summon.
  3. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Because each little thing removed has a good chance of dumbing down the game even further, if not in this instance, then surely another.
  4. kizant Augur

Just kill the mob. It probably takes you 2 seconds. This doesn't seem like something worth the time trying to change.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Compromise: Only summon on the instant of a mob taking damage from a melee/spell hit. Keeps the anti-kite measure but lets you actually run away from or pull mobs that you aren't actively fighting.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For me, it has NOTHING to do with grey con mobs. It has to do with XP giving mobs which I would be able to kill, if I didn't have to tank the damn thing, which i can't. It's making kite classes have to kill the same few mobs in a couple particular zones, instead of being able to spread out a bit and see more content, whereas a tanking class can solo in all those other areas.

Again, not asking for named mobs, or raid mobs, or mobs which are special in some other strange way, be non-summoning. Just your average, run-of-the-mill genpop mob.
  7. Angahran Augur

Wow! You actually took the time to create a new forum account just to post that ?

If you have nothing better to do than post useless comments maybe you need a hobby ?
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Angahran Augur

Sure, it takes 2 seconds. But in those 2 seconds this mobs 37 friends have also summoned in 37 separate directions.
    It's simply annoying when mobs 50+ levels below you have this unresistable ability to play pingpong with you across an entire zone!

It's not difficult, just add a resist check, or remove the unresistable flag from the summon spell.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  9. shiftie Augur

Or put in a no damage primary using your bandolier and click off your ds. You already have the tools available to you. You are just being lazy. There is nothing wrong with the way things are. And ffs you are an sk that can drop aggro at your leisure, invis etc. which begs the question why didn’t you invis or take the preventative measures in the first place you’ve been playing the game long enough to know better.

But yeah let’s cater to people who refuse to use in game methods to solve their own problems so that when it is fixed they can find another thing about the game to complain about and waste all the dev time.
  10. Voktar Journeyman

I think some grey mobs should be able to attack / agro / summon you, but not ALL, this is a bad game mechanic.

Maybe if they are undead or zombies or some crazy fool. But even then, summon on grey mobs should have a resist check, at least...
  11. Password1234 Augur

Players shouldn't have to play the "take off all your weapons, click off all your buffs, don't make eye contact, make no sudden movements, take a submissive posture, and ask for permission to pass through" game with level 60 trash mobs from 18 expansions ago. And even if we do that, that still doesn't address the problem of getting bounced around between multiple mobs within melee range because they prioritize summoning over scooting forward two inches, which happens even when fighting level-appropriate content.
    Angahran likes this.
  12. shiftie Augur

Why wouldn’t using invisibility as you did when the content was level appropriate still be accurate? If you are such a baddie that you can squash the ants then do that. If you don’t want to be bothered then use stealth.

I’m pretty sure sk are the only class on level appropriate content that suffer from ping pong. It’s such a shame that tanking a full extended target window of experience giving mobs is causing so much grief maybe we should retool the the abilities that cause this self inflicted grief rather than change the game for everyone else.
  13. SonOfABiscuit Augur

This is a ridiculous thread. Crybaby much?
  14. phattoni Augur

it is dumbing it down, name one other mmo with summon as a mechanic.

its a mechanic that makes eq unique.

pain in the butt or not, its a mechanic that shouldnt go away.
  15. sumnayin Augur

How can you answer the question while asking the question and not see? Idiocracy was supposed to be a warning, not a documentary.
  16. Angahran Augur

How about you answer the question ?

Someone replied that blocking grey con mobs from summoning was 'dumbing the game down'.
    So I simply asked what they meant be that comment.
    What is so smart about having mobs able to ping pong you backwards and forwards across a zone ?
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There's a complete lack of logic in that response.

Basically amounts to "I like it, so neener-neener"

Every other MMO lacks the feature BECAUSE IT'S STUPID
  18. Angahran Augur

Do you have some sort of macro running so that any time an sk posts anything or anything is posted even vaguely related to sks you can instantly jump in and scream about SKs being overpowered and it's a bad idea ?

sure, I could change out my weapons, click off all my DS, invis (doesn't help when there are see invis mobs or a mixture of live and undead), and do 27 other things, but these are grey con mobs ffs. they should be cowering in a corner when someone of our level passes by.

Would you madly rush out and attack an NPC that's level 200 on your own ? or even with 20 of your friends ?
  19. Password1234 Augur

I did a lesson burn on my monk today, and immediately after turning on auto attack I was summoned by the mob after we hit each other once and thought of this thread.

Some stuff sees invis, sometimes I don't have invis potions, sometimes I'm still waiting on ID to refresh, sometimes I miss something while sneaking. I'm always very strategic with using Neshika's Blink and turning to face away from mobs when running past them, but latency can make it impossible to determine proper angles for riposte while moving.

Regardless: If it will kill itself on a riposte without me even being aware of its existence, then it should not have godlike control over my ability to move. Why do you think that it should?

You're deliberately conflating mass killing of gray mobs with fighting more than one experience giving mob to complain about SKs for some reason. My understanding is that paladins and warriors can also tank two (or, scandalously, three) mobs at once, and will be similarly bounced around by those mobs arbitrarily, when summoning should not be happening at all in melee range.

Summoning is not working as intended. While not game breaking, it is an annoyance, and I think we should be able to do better than jump through hoops to work around a broken mechanic.
  20. shiftie Augur

literally how the game is designed with faction and other things, so yes based on how the game design works I would attack something or someone invading my lands even if it were level 200.

I didn't even factor in that the first gray mob that summons you could just leave your pet up and let him do the slaughtering for you as you zerg your way through a zone, and he could kill all the other mobs that social aggro in the first place.

Be honest and say that you want the ability to pull an entire zone and get the TS mats or farm some old world drop and this would speed up the process. The fact is you have a million tools in the toolbox for overcoming this situation and you are willingly not using them and then coming to the boards to complain. As a paladin I get one shot at fade, I do not have self invis besides potions or a 9 second clicky and I don't have a pet. But I do have a brain and the ability to mitigate running through a zone and getting summoned so I choose to navigate zones without suffering this *sobs* summon fest by low level NPC. Probably related to not having the ability to also zerg my way through end game zones as well.

I don't need a macro running to detect a whine post, if that whine post happens to be by an sk wanting to change core mechanics for their own personal convenience that's not my fault.

Nor is it my fault that such posts happen all the time and I certainly don't find it a coincidence but rather a correlation sk:whinepost - especially if you started the thread.

I haven't said this on the forums in probably 8 or more years but play better ie getgood

/johnnycasualout